FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why do carvings/pictures of dragons always depict them with a ball in their hand?

Author Topic: Why do carvings/pictures of dragons always depict them with a ball in their hand?
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
Any ideas?
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the first few pages of google image search on "dragon", they don't.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
well, if it goes back to the Chinese guard lions it's a differentiation between the sexes. The female of the pair would be depicted stepping on "playing with" a cub while the male would be depicted stepping on a ball. I'm assuming that there's crossover here with the implication that most/all dragon carvings are intended to be male (but that's some extrapolation by someone not intimately familiar with the culture, so take it with a couple Tbs of NaCl).
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you referring the Chinese-style ones (or the lions for that matter) where they hold the Sun?

Edit to add: I'm probably wrong on the lions, never studied the subject

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

I was actually thinking more along the lines of the traditional "fantasy" art dragon. But maybe the answer is as simple as crossover from the Chinese tradition?
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
They're actually a subspecies of Ood.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
My quick research hints that in some cases it may or may not be a flaming pearl father than the Sun, go figure.

Edit to add: Or both.
quote:

Many Chinese believed the dragon held, or at least chased, the sun, and many drawings depict this as a flaming red ball. However, over the years, this sun changed colour from red to a silvery-pearl colour, and gradually the ball came to be considered a flaming pearl, known as the night shining pearl. It is with this that the dragon is almost invariably associated in paintings.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_a_chinese_dragon_have_a_flaming_pearl
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

[Big Grin]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I consider since in D&D terms Dragons love hoards of valuables theyre simply holding an oversized jewel or pearl or opal.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
hoards

Do you know, I've gotten so used to people not knowing the difference between this and 'hordes' that I now reflexively recoil from the word even when it's used correctly, as here. But you got it right. I award you two Internet Points!

Minus five for 'theyre' without apostrophe, but still.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember seeing a Chinese exhibit that had the male and female dragon, and I think they said it either was a giant pearl that represented wealth, or a world/sun. I don't remember very well anymore. But it was a really cool exhibit (I was 9 when I saw it).
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
In traditional modern fantasy, which I consider an triple score oxymoron, the sphere is also a "crystal ball" signifying the dragon's magical power. After all, they can't really wave wands like humans do, so they give them some extra-masculine round object to fondle--in a very non-Gay way I am sure.

I mean, you have a large headed dragon with a long neck craning upward, while it clutches one, or perhaps a pair of spheroid objects. Completely non-Phallic I am positive.

Yep.

You also have Dragon Eggs and Dragon Ball Z references as well.

We won't bring up how overcompensating Dragon Ball Z is. Nope. That would be too easy.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Crikes, isn't "because it's cool" sufficient enough of an answer for you? [Wink]
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
For the same reasons pictures of kings and saints and whatnot were always pictured holding a ball.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
For the same reasons pictures of kings and saints and whatnot were always pictured holding a ball.

An aged clown performed a miraculous juggling act for them right before he kicked the bucket?
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:

[ROFL]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
But they don't always.

Always is a very large amount of time.

Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Genuine:
I was actually thinking more along the lines of the traditional "fantasy" art dragon. But maybe the answer is as simple as crossover from the Chinese tradition?

Maybe the answer is as simple as "your premise is demonstrably incorrect?" Here is a site with 198 pictures of "fantasy" art dragons. On a quick survey of thumbnails I count:
1 holding a staff
1 holding a skull and a book
1 holding another dragon by the neck which is frickin' sweet
1 looking at an ancient elf who is holding a ball
1 holding a crystal ball

So with this brief survey we're at around one half of one percent of pictures of dragons depicting them holding a ball in their hand. And that one was really kinda resting its hand on the ball if you really get down to it. Maybe the better question is why do you think that dragons are always depicted that way when they pretty rarely are?

The only dragon art I can think of which usually has a ball is those little pewter statues where they're always sticking a multifaceted piece of glass in somewhere. They typically also have red glass eyes. I look for no reason for this deeper than "our business model is selling sparkly objects."

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Artists love to draw circles.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it that much in pictures, but I have seen it a lot in carvings of dragons. I'd say that they're that way in carvings because unless you make their claws be in a fist or holding something, they'd be too weak and would break off.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

Thanks to all for their input on my dragon question! [Smile]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*LAUGH*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The Ood look like Mind Flayers and seem very Lovecraftian.

I don't think Dragons and Ood have anything in common.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.