FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I think a Trojan killed my internet - help please

Author Topic: I think a Trojan killed my internet - help please
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I could use some computer help. I found some solutions on google but a few were alittle advanced for me and other required downloading a correction program which makes me wary given the problems I'm having. So this is the story:

This week AVG informed me me that it had found some Trojans on my laptop. It happened about four times this week but every time it reported that the problem had been "healed" so I didn't worry ahout it much.

Then I ran out on some errands today and came home to find that my wireless router wasn't connecting to the internet. This isn't usual given that I have terrible reception in my room. It happens alot. But even after walking upstairs and sitting with my laptop three feet from the router...nothing! I'm listed as "connected to router" but it just won't make that final jump to "connected to internet." The computers were are connected to the router by a cable are working fine, hence I'm typing this post on the family desktop.

I ran Ad-Aware to remove any troublesome spyware. Then ran AVG to look for any more Trojans. No viruses were found but I did get a "reading error" for this location: c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

So I don't know if this "hosts" folder is the cause of my problems or just an unrelated issue. I had hoped a simple Simple Restore would solve my problem but no luck so far.

Anyone have any advice as to how I should proceed?

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
hosts is a file, not a folder. (It has no file extension so it's not necessarily easy to see that.) The hosts file provides associations between IP addresses and host names. (The same thing a DNS server does for you on the fly.) Usually there's only one entry in the hosts file: 127.0.0.1 localhost

(Any lines started with the "#" symbol are ignored.)

You could open the hosts file with Notepad and see what's listed there, if you want. Something screwed up in your hosts file could cause problems connecting to websites, but I'm not sure if it would interfere with how your laptop would report its internet connection status.

Have you tried rebooting both the laptop and the router? (Unplug the router, wait a few seconds, plug back in.) You can also try to "repair" your wireless connection to the router - if you use the built in Windows wireless configuration utility, it's probably just a matter of right-clicking the wireless icon in your taskbar area and choosing "repair." I'd try these things first as IME wireless networks just aren't that reliable and need to be reset sometimes.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
The first few google results for "avg error reading hosts file" seem to indicate it might mean the hosts file is missing altogether. It's a system file and may be hidden by default, but if you confirm it's missing you can probably replace it. I'd do this by saving a text file named "hosts" *with no file extension and "all files" file type option selected in Notepad save dialog* with the following (default) text in the file:

code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

This would be saved in the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc folder

*Proceed with caution to modify this or any system file, I hope it goes without saying. Consult a tech support professional if you actually want professional advice. [Smile]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have any means of knowing if other computers can connect to the router?

Are all the usual lights on the modem on?

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure it's not one of those routers/modems that actually has an "Internet ON/OFF" switch. If the switch is set to off, turn it on. Simple, but you'd be surprised how many times I've been stumped until I noticed this button on some Fisher Price piece of equipment.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE: Thanks everyone. After fixing the "hosts" situation and reseting the wireless complete with new passwords, I finally stumbled upon a suggestion to reset the "tcp/ip stack" (whatever that is!) and now I'm good.

And to think that my aunt is trying to get me an internship doing help desk and support for Edward Jones. *sigh* I keep telling her there's a reason they ask for applicants with actual degrees in computer sciences and such.

[ August 10, 2008, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: Shanna ]

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread does not deliver; I thought it was going to be an onanism thread. [Frown]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I was waiting for Hector and Paris.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.