FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Star Wars Dethroned (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Wars Dethroned
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
The AMC theater nearby has a matinee price of $5.00...all day long on any day that isn't Fri-Sun.

Same thing here. They're the only reason I see so many movies. Otherwise it'd be too expensive.

Plus they let you bring in whatever food you want.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Movies are very expensive here - we try to limit as much as possible. When two matinee tickets will cost $14-15 (just about a month's subscription to Blockbuster Online), it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

We'll go for the special effects movies that we want to see on a big screen, but really not much else.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Add in paying for a babysitter, we have not been to movies for a while. Somehow bringing a 19 month old to a movie seems like a bad idea.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I think taking a 19 month old to the Dark Knight would be a great idea. Everyone loves a crying baby and what better way to start a kid down a horrible road than exposing them to hard R's.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The Dark Knight isn't rated R.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
The Dark Knight isn't rated R.

It is, however, one of the most dark and intense PG-13's I've seen. [Smile]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I was responding to Rodger's "hard R's" remark. I made no statement that The Dark Knight wasn't as intense as all heck.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the fact that Dark Knight isn't R rated says something about the rating system doesn't it? Why have ratings if you don't use them properly? I couldn't believe it was PG-13. Just because the subject is a superhero, doesn't make it a Pg-13 movie. When "The Hammer," a romantic comedy with one instance of the F word gets an R rating, you can see the disparity.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

- posted      Profile for Rodger Brown   Email Rodger Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I was making a general statement on taking babies to movies not on any specific movie and I was being sarcastic. I think its great when parents make the responsible choice and leave the little ones home.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, to be fair, we did take her to Walle. [Smile] But I figure the first showing of the day, a movie intended for kids, everyone should be expecting children. And luckily, she was more then happy to crawl into her aunts lap and watch the movie silently.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

*addendum to my post families should of course go to family movies and kids movies with all little ones it is expected.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Movie ratings aren't exactly an exact science - there are some pretty "out there" ratings from the 80's, and there are some pretty strange ratings today.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
They are also stretched strategically so that a movie that probably should be R rated will just BARELY be PG-13 so that it gets more ticket sales.
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rodger Brown:
I think its great when parents make the responsible choice and leave the little ones home.

....... leaving little kids at home unsupervised is the responsible choice?
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vyrus
Member # 10525

- posted      Profile for Vyrus   Email Vyrus         Edit/Delete Post 
He clearly meant with a responsible trusted adult or hired babysitter. [Hopefully not the $5 an hour 13-year-old-kind, although some of them can be responsible as well.]

I'm terribly afraid I didn't read the entire forum post-is the Dark Knight generally a good movie? [With or without dark themes.]

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rodger Brown
Member # 11476

Dark themes aside the Dark Knight is one of the best moral films I have ever seen and quite entertaining as well.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.