FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » LPN school....New updates, good news all around! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: LPN school....New updates, good news all around!
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I am seriously considering going back to school for my LPN. I worked as a medic in the service, and was an NREMT-B while I was there, so I am familiar with the field. In the Army I did a lot of additional functions, such as blood draws and administering shots as well.

However, it has been well over a decade since that, and I haven't been in school for at least that long....and High School was even longer than that.

I know I can ace the reading comprehention test, and probably the grammar test as well, but to be honest the math section scares me.

The first hurdle is the TABE test, which measures general knowledge and assigns a grade level to 3 separate sections....grammar, reading comprehention, and math. I need to get an 11/11/11 to be considered for the LPN program....meaning I have at least an 11th grade knowledge of them.

Then I have to take the NET as well, and I have to get a 55 on verbal and a 60 on the math. When I asked what those scores represented, the teacher giving the talk had no clue. I don't know if that is a percent, or a specific number of questions I have to get correct. I think it is a percent, although that doesn't make a lot of sense, as 55% of something is NEVER a passing grade.

Has anyone taken these, or have any knowledge of them? Can anyone recommend a study guide for them?

After looking at the practice exam for the math section of the TABE, I am a little worried. I am not good at algebra at all, and I take the TABE in 2 days. Also, I don't know how many I can get wrong and still pass at an 11th grade level.....

If I fail any section of this, or don't get a qualifying grade, I can't apply for this January.....and due to financial reasons I probably won't be able to wait a full year, so I will have to pass on it yet again. This could be one of the most important tests I have ever taken.

[ December 20, 2008, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The most important thing to do is not to panic. Do NOT focus on how this is an important test. Instead, focus on each problem one at a time when you approach them.

Take all the practice tests and work through the practice problems.

I'm confident you will pass. And, once you do - for the love of Pete get your RN! You'll make ever so much more money and have many more job opportunities. Fortunately, LPN to RN programs are everywhere, and you can work as an LPN while earning your RN.

Good luck!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks Belle.....I am very good at tests, and I don't think I will have a problem with this one. I was just wondering about the math section.

I spoke to one of the people in the testing center, and he said the TABE is the test people have to pass just to be able to take the GED. I looked over some test questions, and I was surprised how much math I remembered, particularly since I was never a good math student. The advisor said there is so little algebra in it that I could miss every single algebra questions and still pass. He also said that the nursing councilor was wrong....if you don't pass the TABE, you can rested with remedial training...which you can do in one day if necessary....and retest just the section you didn't pass right away.

I doubt I will need to do that, but it makes me happy that that is an option.

As far as the NET....it IS a percent. From what I found on-line last night, and my conversation with the advisor, there are 80 verbal/English questions, and 80 math questions. The scores I need....55 verbal and 60 math...ARE a percent score. I could probably pass that one today if necessary, but I will continue to study just in case.

I take the TABE tomorrow at 1pm. [Smile]

I want my RN, but this way I can work as an LPN while I finish up my schooling. The community college (CFCC) I am attending has what they call a "bridge" program, which is just what you are talking about. Depending on how much financial aid I get (loans or otherwise) I may complete that right away, or I may work while doing it.

First things first though....tests, then acceptance, then financial aid....then schooling. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
So how did it go?
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I aced it!

I got 12.9 in every section, even the math somehow. That is the highest possible score for this test. [Dont Know]

So I went to the councilor and said I didn't think it was fair that I had to wait an entire week to take the NET test (Nursing Entrance Test) as the only reason there was a delay was the admissions office messed up my paperwork. He didn't agree, until he looked at my test scores, and asked me how long it took me to take the TABE. When I told him it only took 25 min for all 4 of the sections he got pretty worked up. [Smile] He called the proctor to make sure I wasn't pulling his leg (I wasn't).

So he looked at his watch and said " Well, I guess you could take it today since you finished the TABE so early."

I nailed that too, getting some of the best test scores they have seen this year. [Smile]

I turned in my essay and application today, and there are still slots open in the program....but admissions still can't find my application, or my student ID. I had the registrar in knots today, and almost walked into a board meeting to call out the Dean of Admissions. [Smile] They ended up calling the School of Nursing and explaining that I had completed my requirements, and they got the Nursing program to accept my application despite my missing student number (and missing application).

The aid in the office was very happy about my scores, and said that if scores were the final consideration (they aren't....you either pass the standard or you don't) I would be the first person admitted. I laughed and said " I have no idea how, as I am not good at math.", and she replied " This math score on the NET says you are good at math, and this is the highest composite score I have seen this year.".

[Big Grin]

I should know for sure within a day of two. They aren't allowed to tell you officially how many seats are open, but I have a person I know (sort of) who works there, and she told me the seats are first come first serve, and over half of them are already gone. The woman in the office said " You should get your accepta...I mean your results....in about 2-3 days." as I was leaving, so that is a good sign. [Smile]

I spent the rest of the day looking at houses and condo's, and a few apartments. My wife works right b the college, and right now we live about 35-40 min away from it, so I want to move closer. I found a 3 BR 2 BR house for rent within half a mile of her work, right across the street from the college, but it is about $75 more than I was looking to spend. It is HUGE, and more house than I need, really, but I was looking at other houses that were $50-75 less a month and they were kinda gross. Two of them didn't even have central air, which in FL is a must. One of them has been vacant so long that there was mold on all the doors. [Frown]

If I get accepted I have to have a background check (no problem), and I have to sign up for a new CPR class (no problem).

I am still worried about financial aid, but I SHOULD qualify for loans, and I am willing to carry it all as loans if I have to. My FAFSA said I don't qualify for a Pell grant, but I am looking into vocational retraining funds and Adult Ed funds as well. I have a meeting set up for Thursday with the financial aid office to go over my options.

[ September 05, 2008, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Woot! Way to go Kwea!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray!
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome! Congratulations! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Was the outcome ever really in doubt? It's not like I was all "ONOZ, Kwea versus a standardized test! Will he WIN?!"
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat]
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, right on! Way to go! [Smile]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by steven:
Was the outcome ever really in doubt? It's not like I was all "ONOZ, Kwea versus a standardized test! Will he WIN?!"

Thanks, but it has been a long time since I have had to take ANY type of test regarding math, so I really was a little worried about it.

The funny thing is that the NET test scored me HIGHER on math than reading comprehention. How that happened I don't know, as reading is one area where I KNOW I excel. I have been tested over and over for that, and always scored in the top 5-10%.

For example....I had a really good ACT score.....25 or 26. But I got that with a 48% in math (I think the standard scoring for that was an 18). The ACT is scored different than most tests though.....the percent is where you rank among the other people who took the ACT that year.

I got a 94% (32)in science, a 89% in reading/verbal (a 31, mostly because of spelling errors), and a 98% (a 34 I think, one percent away from perfect) in social sciences. Math was obviously the weak link, and my math score, even when I was still in school and the math classes were fresh in my mind, were a huge problem.

I wouldn't say I was scared of the TABE or the NET tests, but the last thing I wanted to do was take passing them for granted. I have done that in the past, and there were a few unpleasant surprises along the way because if that. [Smile]

I always do well on tests because unlike a lot of people I don't allow myself to think about tests the way a lot of people do. I like taking tests, actually, because I see them as a way of proving what I already know or have learned. also don't allow myself to worry about passing of failing during the test itself. A lot of people think "My God, this test could determine my entire life from this point on, because if I fail I can't get into school". So during the test they are worried about that, and what the test MEANS.

Here is MY secret....it doesn't mean anything other than how you processed specific knowledge. Passing it doesn't make you a genius, and failing it doesn't make you stupid, it just means you didn't understand it well enough and you need to go back to it to learn it right.

As you answer a question, you aren't determining your life's path...you are answering a question. No more, no less.

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys. It means a lot to me, and it helped me take this test seriously. If I hadn't looked over the study guide and looked up some basic math stuff I realized I didn't really remember I would not have passed. In particular I was rusty (as in I didn't remember it at ALL) on the order of operations, fractions (which I got 100% on somehow) and all things algebra. [Smile]

Now I just have to figure out how to pay for this (if I get into the program). [Big Grin]

[ September 06, 2008, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
CONGRATS!
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, sounds very cool. Congrats on the tests and good luck with sorting out the fine details. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
How awesome! Congratulations.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks...I hate waiting though.

Grrrr.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thanks, but it has been a long time since I have had to take ANY type of test regarding math, so I really was a little worried about it.
Kwea that is exactly how I felt when I had to start taking standardized tests for school. The first, the Alabama Prospective Teachers Program test of basic skills, was just that - basic skills. They allow you to use a calculator on the math, but I didn't know so didn't bring one, and I still aced the math!

The second was the Praxis II in English Language Arts content knowledge - that one was much tougher, and I freaked a little because I didn't recognize some of the literary passages we were supposed to identify. When I got my scores, I had aced every section except the literature - my raw score in linguistics and writing was perfect -everything I missed was in the literature section, but I didn't miss many of those. I was very relieved! Everyone teased me about worrying over it, but like you - I hadn't taken any in so long, I was truly apprehensive.

The thing is, I attribute my high score on the Praxis to my college coursework which prepared me. Except for not knowing the lit passages (and honestly, who can read everything?) I felt like I had a fighting chance in every single question because I recognized something in it from my college courses.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I got a D- in algebra I in Jr. High, and that was because the teacher saw how hard I was trying. I really only have a 59%, which was failing, but I let him tutor me, and I just didn't get it.

I failed College Algebra....twice....at night school. In my school, College Algebra is below Algebra I, and is the minimum math class you can take to fulfill the core course requirement for a degree.

I had a really, really cool teacher for two philosophy courses, and in my Jr. year they allowed Symbolic Logic to fulfill the math requirement as well, and he was teaching it. I signed up...and panicked the first class, because he went on and on about how it was similar to Algebra.

I got a D. Barely.

But for some reason when I looked at the study guide, I remembered some things I wasn't sure I had ever learned in the first place. I know this is a basic skills test, not graduate school, but still....I seem to have gotten over, at least a little bit. my math block.

[ September 06, 2008, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother did the LPN bridge to RN program where we live and now is quite happily working as an RN. Congrats to you!!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Allow me to be the first to wish you a joyous Mazel Tov!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah, the bridge programs are great, and usually they offer classes at night so you can take them after work.

I had to write an essay for the entrance review board as well, and one of the things I mentioned was my desire to become an RN eventually. I made my essay very personal, and I think it was a really good essay....one of the best I have ever written. My wife used to work in an HR department for her college, and she agreed that is was good.

Tante...thanks! [Wink]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Kwea!

I had to retake math in college and while it just didn't all click with me in high school, in college I got A's because the teacher flooded me with homework from the get go so that even the most fundamental stuff had to click before I could move on. I know how hard math can be, so again gratz!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, congrats! You are on your way to becoming a male nurse!

I say this because a friend of mine's son heard that all the time, and so did she.

"How is your son?"
"Great, he is going to nursing school."
"Oh, he's going to be a male nurse!"
"Um, yeah."

Seriously, congrats.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, my mom (a nurse) says the nurses who are male get that all the time where she works, too-- and we're in "enlightened" CA! LOL!

Kwea, congratulations. If I needed a male nurse ( [Wink] ), or a vocational nurse, I can't think of someone I'd like better for the job, you're going to make a great one. You've got the right mix of caring, compassion, get-it-done attitude, and toughness.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks, I think this has been a long time coming, and I don't have anyone to blame for that but myself.

I will let you guys know as soon as I find out.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Kwea, just for kicks, keep a tally of "male nurse" comments. Also, see if you can find some Red Sox scrubs.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I am still worried about financial aid, but I SHOULD qualify for loans, and I am willing to carry it all as loans if I have to. My FAFSA said I don't qualify for a Pell grant, but I am looking into vocational retraining funds and Adult Ed funds as well. I have a meeting set up for Thursday with the financial aid office to go over my options.

You're a US citizen, and you're going to be a full-time undergrad. You will qualify for loans. And not qualifying for Pell is really a good thing (although I know it sure doesn't feel like it!) -- it means you're making decent money.

A meeting with a FA counselor is an excellent idea. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I hope I do, rivka. My credit isn't god, but it isn't bad either, it is around the 680 mark most of the time.

The problem is that I am not making anything....I don't currently have a job. Last year I made good money, but right now we are living off of unemployment and my wife's job, which pays about 40% of what I made last year. She wasn't working last year, so her finding this job 3 months ago is a godsend, but in reality we won't make what my FAFSA says we should this year.

I should hear about the program this week, early....probably before Weed. I am going to see a FA this Wed., either way.

rivka
Member # 4859

If your financial situation is that different now from what it was last year, bring a letter explaining that, in detail, to your FA meeting, and request that they consider using professional judgment in your case. Any other documentation you can provide (such as proof of unemployment and of your wife's current salary) is also a good idea.

I don't know how much you would need in loans. But for Stafford loans credit history is absolutely irrelevant. I don't know what year your school considers you to be, or whether you qualify for subsidized loans, but at the very least you should qualify for $9500 in unsubsidized Stafford loans -- even if they consider you a freshman. (Assuming your school's tuition + other budgeted items doesn't total less than that.)

Private student loans do take credit rating into account, but it more affects what your interest rate will be than whether you can get a loan (unless your history is really bad, and it sounds like yours is not).

Good luck!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Do I apply for the loans, or does the school do it on my behalf? Do I have to go though the school?

I believe the program costs about $5000 total.....is there a limit to what I can borrow, as I will not be working much while in school?

scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
You fill out a FAFSA and then the school comes back with a financial aid package. Some schools ask for other paperwork (like mine wants a copy of my 1040). I have never done private so I don't know how that works. The FAFSA will sometimes also sometimes apply you to other programs or be needed for other scholarships.
I was offered like 16,000 in loans for the year, with tuition costing about 5000. Half were subsidized, half unsubsidized. Then we have to go through a class on borrowing student loans and select a bank (from a list) and fill out some pretty simple paperwork. The money then goes directly to the school, who takes out tuition and then supposedly sends you the rest. We also got a poor people grant- but not Pell since we are not undergrads.

Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Undergrads also don't qualify for anything close to what grad students do in government loans. Especially independents, who can't get either type of PLUS (Parent PLUS or GradPLUS).

The process scholarette describes is pretty standard. And if annual tuition is about $5000, my guess is that your annual COA (the maximum you borrow, essentially -- cost of attendance) is probably in the neighborhood of $10,000. But the FA counselor can tell you that. Or it may be information you can find on the school's website.

Stafford loans must be through the school. Private student loans (which I do not recommend unless you need to borrow more than your Stafford maximum) vary as to whether they are school certified or not. They are always at higher interest rates than Stafford loans though, and you have fewer borrower protections.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks....I was not sure how it worked, and I will probably need to borrow at least a little bit more than the tuition for living expenses. I have my unemployment, but that will only take me about half way though the class, as the new LPN class doesn't start until January.

I haven't heard anything, so I am stopping in to school tomorrow. I need to see the FA, and I need to see if they ever found my application to the college. They had misplaced it, and were suppose to call me on Friday and update me, but they never did.

scholarette
Member # 11540

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Here is the link for filling out your fafsa.

Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Always a good link, but Kwea already filled his out. [Wink]
scholarette
Member # 11540

Doh! I forgot about that part of the conversation.
Kwea
Member # 2199

It's OK, I appreciate the thought anyways. [Wink]
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to be careful how you tell the UI people that you are returning to school. The test for elegibility for Unemployment is "ready, willing, and activly seeking suitable employment". If you are in school full time, you might not hit the willing and activly seeking part.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the wonderful test scores and the nursing college entrance! That is wonderful.

Heck, - why stop at being a nurse? Look into the P.A. program!

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I will be meeting any and all requirements for the UI, I have already looked at it.

I made good money last year, and I doubt in this economy that I would be able to match what I made with a new offer. I have had job offers already, but for far less money that what I made before, or not in a related field. I am allowed to say no to a $20,000 per year pay cut, at least until the UI runs
out.

And the FL requirement for "seeking" is 2 employer contacts per week after the two week waiting period. I do that every week before Tuesday. [Smile]

School doesn't start until Jan, so a good chunk of time will have already passed by the time school starts. Almost 4 months of my 7 months of benefits. I am still looking for employment....I had an interview that went very well with a local bank a few days ago....so I am not just following the letter of the requirement, but the spirit as well. If I can I will work a full time job right away, and then just go part time when school starts.

Providing I get in, of course. If I don't get into this LPN program I will be just looking for work, or for another school to attend.

One of the plans I have seen is a career path to PA, with a starting point though the LPN program. I also know though my mom a woman who has been a CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist), and she LOVES her job. No nights, very rare weekends, and the place she works provides mainly elective surgeries so she is paid VERY well.

I would like to work with kids, I think, I just don't know if I can handle it. It takes a special type of person not to take that stuff home with you at the end of the day, and I may become too involved for that.

Hopefully we will see. [Smile]

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this thread. Congrats man! I hope it all works out in this new direction.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I would like to work with kids, I think, I just don't know if I can handle it. It takes a special type of person not to take that stuff home with you at the end of the day, and I may become too involved for that.

Working with kids is hard. I don't remember how many times I had to hold Mooselet down for the radiologist during one of his VCUGs (voiding cystourethrogram, if I remember the actual name of the test correctly). I wouldn't want that to be my job every day.

Congrats on all the tests going well!

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Heck, - why stop at being a nurse? Look into the P.A. program!
Does this mean something different where you live? AFAIK, around here that is about the same level of training/responsibility as a LVN, and would be a step down from being an RN, as far as duties. Now, a NP is a step up, they can diagnose, prescribe most medications and such. But it's possible that PA means different things in different states?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

PA's make better money, and are usually half a step above a RN in most issues. It depends on what you want your focus to be, I guess.

LPN's are usually under the supervision of an RN, RN's under a DMD. PA's are a lateral move, but one that usually pays better, and in some cases would also be in charge of most RN's.

It isn't a clear chain of command, so to speak....a lot of it depends on what the RN's training has been. For example, a CRNA would pretty much be autonomous, and wouldn't work under a PA. They would work directly with the MD's, and in most cases be the expert the MD's would turn to regarding their area of expertise.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Huh, that's very different from the hospitals and offices I have acquaintance with here (meaning, where my dad works, my mom works, where I've been admitted...)
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - here a P.A. can do most of what you are describing for your NP. (Prescribe meds, make diagnosis - basically everything a doctor can do, except 1) not have to deal with the paperwork, because they work under a doctor, and it falls under him, and 2) not prescribe narcotics, I think.)

So basically, like being a doctor, with half the hassle [Smile] Here they make much better money than RNs do.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

http://www.alexandersuniforms.com/boston-red-sox-scrub-sets.html

There you are, Kwea!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.