FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Football Discussion Thread - 2008/9 Season (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Football Discussion Thread - 2008/9 Season
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
This is for anyone who doesn't want to wade through fantasy discussion to get their (American) football discussion/smack talk on. [Smile]

As for me, I'm just happy Wisconsin pulled off 51 straight points to beat Marshall and that Ohio State looked beatable for a fair while today.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Giants won. Big surprise there.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
They didn't look especially good doing it, however. Redskins probably have a better D than most are giving credit for, but the Giants are going to need to improve their offense if they want to repeat.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to the UNT game tonight.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
The Giants looked great in the 1st quarter but couldn't get it done effectively enough offensively thru the rest of the game. But on defense they looked scary.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I hope Brady's knee is OK.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
College -- My Sooners looked good in another scrub game. I'm not getting my hopes up though. They need to win a bowl game before I am fanatical again.

NFL -- The Cowboys looked good. I don't follow the NFL much, but I did watch Hard Knocks on HBO this year and they profiled the Cowboys, so I may watch them a little bit.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
The Steelers won, that is all that matters, right?
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Only until the Packers game tomorrow...
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed watching the college games on Saturday.

I thought the official's call against Washington (excessive celebration) on the Washington vs BYU game was ridiculous; but I don't think that call cost Washington the game. It takes a lot to block a field goal, and I'm not sure how increasing the distance between the kicker and the goal by 15 yards makes it more likely that the kick will be blocked.

But I'm a football neophyte, so I could be wrong.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Looks like Brady is out for teh season. Regardless of how you feel about the Patriots, that is not good. I wouldn't have wished that on anyone.
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
it increases the chance because the kicker has to kick it at a lower angle to get it to go farther. I think the call was wrong but it is the rule and theres nothing to say that BYU would have not blocked it anyway.
Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really annoyed about Brady and I feel sorry for him. I wanted to beat the Pats fair and square, not this way!
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
The Cardinals won. [Eek!] Has Brady had the MRI yet?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by luthe:
The Steelers won, that is all that matters, right?

*nods in agreement*

Yes, that is all that matters.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I was surprised that the PAC-10 officials made that kind of call against Washington. After they failed to flag a big hold on Washington a few plays earlier that enabled Washington to get in scoring position. Or Washington's unmeasured first down. Definitely some home cooking going on. In any case, you can't accuse the officials of trying to give BYU an unfair advantage. And I don't think anyone in the PAC-10 is going to scrutinize the game tapes very closely for evidence of that.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

It's been confirmed, Brady will go on IR and have surgery.

Cowboys and Eagles both looked very good on Sunday, so next Monday night oughta be a great game.

Bills and Atlanta surprised me. Bears' defense seems to be back and Matt Forte looks like a good pick.

One thing I did see coming was Rosario Dawson (who caught the game-winning ball for Carolina)... when I saw him play at their training camp last year he was very impressive.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Every time they said Rosario Dawson's name, I kept thinking about "Sin City." It was a bit distracting. [Smile]
Carrie
Member # 394

Aaron Rodgers was cute - "I'd been dreaming of [a Lambeau Leap] for four years, to be honest." [Smile]
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
So imagine, if you will, that I am watching the Oakland vs. Denver game from Denver. And I like Denver, because they are the home team; 'our guys,' whatever. And there's been a rivalry between Denver and Oakland, one that is helped trhrough a kind of a scummy thing that the Oakland owner did to Mike Shanahan way back when. So really if there's one team that's worth creaming in a season, it's for the broncos to crush the raiders.

Even given all that, the Broncos were ruling so hard that it started to get uncomfortable. Oakland got buried. The last third of the game was dominated by shots of the dressed-up Oakland fans in the stadium, looking grim and defeated and hateful of their own — one guy was holding up a "Lane Kiffin Must Go" sign he'd drawn probably in the third or fourth when the score was Denver 41, Oakland 7.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
Disappointed with the Jag opener. There was no reason why they should have lost. Except for that whole "not scoring more points than the other team" thing. Still have hopes though.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
Aaron Rodgers was cute - "I'd been dreaming of [a Lambeau Leap] for four years, to be honest." [Smile]

*high five* Go Pack!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I've been really impressed by Rodgers for a while. I'm excited to see what he does.
swampfrog
Member # 11690

- posted      Profile for swampfrog           Edit/Delete Post 
Had the Washington QB spiked the ball, there would be no debate--premeditated or not, you simply are not allowed to do that in college football, and everybody knows it.

The rule specifically equates throwing the ball up in the air to spiking (15 yard penalty), but not everyone was aware of it, now they are.

I would agree with overlooking it in this case except that this rule has been emphasized this year, and it appears that had been communicated to both refs and coaches. If you've told everyone we're going to tighten up on this specific rule this year and an obvious violation is not flagged, that sends the wrong message.

The trajectory of the ball is minor relative to the fact that the BYU coach called for an all out block attempt. When you're at the 3 you have to hold a few players back to watch for the fake--especially since a 2 point conversion would have won the game. You don't worry about it as much when the try is from the 18.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

Dear Detroit Lions,

Thank you for... being you. And giving the game back to the Packers, as you normally do. I'll admit, it was pretty tense there for a while, but we knew you had it in you.

Sincerely,

A Bunch of Concerned Packer Fans.

---

I'd also like to register my informal protest against the WAC officials in the Wisconsin/Fresno State game last night. It was a fumble, not an incomplete pass. Idiots. [Smile]

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I was so pleased to see Troy Polamalu yesterday. He's so exciting to watch. I think the Steelers are going to go all the way this year. They won Aerin's first Super Bowl, so it's only fair that they win the twins' first Super Bowl, too.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dear Detroit Lions,

Thank you for... being you. And giving the game back to the Packers, as you normally do. I'll admit, it was pretty tense there for a while, but we knew you had it in you.

Sincerely,

Can I get an Amen?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
quote:
Dear Detroit Lions,

Sincerely,

Can I get an Amen?

Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

You absolutely can not. And they are going to destroy the 49'rs next week. I like john Kitna, but if he keeps playing like this, I'm gonna bring a Drew Stanton sign to the Lions VS. Bears game in october.
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Wow! Did anybody see my Razorback/Cowboy Felix Jones return that kick-off for a touchdown? I love that boy!
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Did you see the rest of the game?

Holy cow, that was awesome.

2 best teams in the NFL, right there.

String
Member # 6435

Great game.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

SO awesome. I think I had about thirty heart attacks. We would go from screaming in anger ("Tackle Jackson! Where the freak is our defense!") to screaming in disbelief ("Spike! He spiked it! Fumble! Someone grab the ball! Why did that Cowboy just run by without grabbing the ball! CHALLENGE!) to screaming in joy when it was ruled incomplete (though we would have preferred a fumble) to screaming encouragement ("Now actually stop them this time, Morons!") to sulking in annoyance when Westbrook went ahead an got a touchdown anyway about five seconds later.

And don't even get me started on the 14 points in 14 seconds, with the interception and the fumble. It's really hard to love a team when you can't get behind the quarterback, but Romo is not giving me the magic, and I haven't seen the magic since sometime mid-season last year. Not to harp on the old Jessica Simpson news, but I'm seriously starting to think that Romo's got that problem they talk about in Seinfeld, that when men are getting sex regularly they get stupider. It happened in the '06 season with Carrie Underwood, too. (I think that was the blonde those days.)

(Are you in DFW, Jim? I loved how Wade Phillips said that Romo had no interceptions in the press conference afterward. He's good at the old wishful thinking, that man.)

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I am in DFW (sorta, Red Oak near Waxahachie).

Couldn't disagree with you more about Romo. He's got everything I want in my starting QB and poise in spades. He does make a bonehead throw every once in awhile, but so did everyone, including Aikman and even Staubach (who I was, indeed, around to watch).

But what Phillips was talking about was that Austin (the intended target) apparently ran to the wrong spot when Romo scrambled and that's why Romo's throw was off target... so Phillips said he didn't put that INT on Romo.

I think my real fav on the team is Witten, though. The guy dislocates his shoulder early in the game, goes to the locker room, pops it in, gets a cortizone shot, and catches 7 balls for 110 yds, including a few clutch ones. He is everything a TE should be and my favorite since Dave Casper (and believe me, that's high praise from me-- Casper was my favorite NFL player for a LONG time)

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Witten is amazing, absolutely. He's covered in blood in nearly every game. (And he doesn't lay on the ground whining about it like a certain QB we know. [Wink] )

But, honestly, I do have a bad habit of pinning things on Romo that aren't really his fault when I get really angry. I think that's pretty normal; the QB is the face of the whole team.

But in reality, the Eagles' defense is amazing. And giant. And I couldn't help but compare our offensive line to Phil., watching Romo constantly under pressure and McNabb practically taking a nap in the pocket.

(edited for clarity)

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

they won the line of scrimmage handily in the first half, it evened out in the second.

I'm not looking forward to polaying that team at the Linc, though. Pittsburgh better bring their A-game.

Carrie
Member # 394

Rumor has it that Ed Hochuli is actually answering all his hate mail.

That takes balls. I cannot imagine how many Chargers fans are calling for his blood.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
I'm not looking forward to polaying that team at the Linc, though.
So it took me about 18 hours to figure out that "polaying" wasn't some cool football term that only people who've been into the game since Roger Staubach was QB would know. [Wink] I've only been a football fan for a couple of seasons.

I don't know if that game scares me more than the home game did. I'm not sure what our stats are at Lincoln, but we've pretty well sucked against the Eagles at home for quite a while. I was fairly nervous.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

LOL... sorry for the typo [Smile]

That's very cool of Hochuli... he's been one of the best for a long time. This is the first time I can recall seeing him make a mistake on the field, and he's been around for a LONG time.

Kwea
Member # 2199

He seems to be a class act, and I respect him for it. I wish other officials were willing to admit when they miss a call.....but seeing the response to it now I don't blame them (as much).
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I'm still in denial over the Cowboys-Cardinals last night. It's a sad day for Cowboys fans. (I don't want to hear any chortling in the Peanut Gallery!)
Kwea
Member # 2199

[Wink]

At least Romo will be back in a couple of weeks. Brady is out for the season, and who knows if he will ever play as well as he did before the injury. [Frown]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

And at least Brad Johnson has won a Superbowl, even if Tampa Bay was a defensive team. [Wink]
Carrie
Member # 394

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
And at least Brad Johnson has won a Superbowl, even if Tampa Bay was a defensive team. [Wink]

Personally, I found them offensive... [Wink]

(I'm hoping that grows old soon.)

Derrell
Member # 6062

Dallas tanked in OT. I'm not rubbing it in, just amazed that Arizona's winning;. [Eek!]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:

(I'm hoping that grows old soon.)

Well, you're doing your part. [Big Grin]

quote:
Dallas tanked in OT. I'm not rubbing it in, just amazed that Arizona's winning
Are you a Cardinal's fan, Derrell? I guess that would make sense. [Smile]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Dallas tanked most of the game. The skill positions and defense were pretty much fine. The special teams and offensive line would have had problems with some Texas high schools.

Romo was hit 22 times on 39 drop backs. I imagine it would've been all 39 if he hadn't been as mobile as he is.

Also Marion barber caught for twice as many yards as he ran and, excepting Felix Jones' 14 yard run, Dallas ran the ball 21 times for 59 yds.

It's plain and simple--the offensive line got their butts whipped... and then did a torreodor impression on the final punt, from effectively their end zone, in overtime, allowing two men to come completely unblocked, one of them right up the middle, and KO Matt McBriar who, with all sympathy to Romo, is the more distressing injury.

Romo is out about 4 weeks and has a capable back up. Two of them are winnable games for Dallas in this configuration and one is a bye. It's entirely possible (I'd say 50-50) that Romo comes back to a 6-3 team.

EXCEPT

McBriar is out probably 6-8 weeks and may go on IR. The punt coverage has been spotty at best already, and taking arguably the best punter in the NFC and replacing him with some guy off the street is not likely to help much. *That* injury could be real trouble.

But both of them fall squarely on the O-line's shoulders, as does the loss.

Derrell
Member # 6062

Yeah, I root for the hometown team. I've been waiting for the Cardinals to get it together since they moved here.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I have a bit of a soft spot for the Cardinals. I was born in Missouri and watched them play for St. Louis on my daddy's knee. We left there in '87 and they moved to Arizona the next year, so when I moved to Arizona myself a few years later they were there waiting for me.

quote:
But both of them fall squarely on the O-line's shoulders, as does the loss.
Sad, but true. The o-line seems to have gotten progressively worse.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

For those that haven't heard, Pacman Jones is suspended in definitely and Dallas traded for Roy Williams.

Interesting times down here.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.