FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm annoyed and depressed with my classes

Author Topic: I'm annoyed and depressed with my classes
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
You know it massively sucks to be in an odd numbered class, if its a programming class of 29 people and everyone supposed to make teams of two, this ends up me not being in a team, 2 years in a row now. The good side is that my teacher assures me I will be personally be given less work to compensate and marked easier, but I HAVE to learn to be able to work in a team eventually don't I? Its not going to be possible to work for say Matrox or ATI without the minimum ability to work with other people.

I had also been given the choice of working with a group of 3, which is okay but the problem is I think the work load is designed for 2, so I will either end up doing the most or doing the least, and the group I would like to work with has one of my best friends in BUT has the very guy who screwed me over last year during our final project and will probably refuse to work with me.

And I don't know anyone else anywhere near well enough for the experience to be anything other then awkward approaching them. Programmers can smell fear.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Work in a group of 3, rather than on your own. And pick a group that doesn't include any of your friends.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh but don't work in a group of 3 where the other two are good friends.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

*looks at Tom for confirmation*

Anyways I sent a message to everyone asking if anyone would like to have a third member, explaining the situation.

Now the question is what to do if no one replies?

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't get a response from the message, don't worry--that's not the ideal way to put it out there. I'd suggest putting up a confident/carefree attitude when you get back to class--and instead of making someone else "choose" you--why don't YOU go and humbly ask the groups that YOU'D like to work with if they'll take you (with a caveat that allows them to say "no" politely). When you're the chooser, you project confidence and people will be more likely to want to work with you. It's good practice at being more social with people you don't know, too.

I'd also suggest making up with the dude who screwed you over--if you're open and sincere, most people will be forgiving, and you two might become good friends.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Call me crazy, but your instructor really should have a contingency plan for an odd numbered class. He should be able to modify assignments for a threesome.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as it's the cool kind of threesome.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to hazard a guess that the hot kind of threesome doesn't happen very often in programming classes.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
I'd also suggest making up with the dude who screwed you over--if you're open and sincere, most people will be forgiving, and you two might become good friends.

This is a waste of time. There are situations when it isn't, but a jerk at college isn't one of them. You don't also have to be a jerk, but you don't need to make up--this isn't kindergarten and you don't have to work with him.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by HollowEarth:
quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:

This is a waste of time. There are situations when it isn't, but a jerk at college isn't one of them. You don't also have to be a jerk, but you don't need to make up--this isn't kindergarten and you don't have to work with him.
Also i did nothing wrong, I was in my oracle class working on a project for THAT class that I was in physically so, and he not being in that class was expecting me to drop the team project I was doing for Oracle to fix whatever problem turned out in my Chess project with him. And afterwards spazzes out says hes sick of me and abandones me with a half done project. I was able to complete it just nowhere near as spiffy or bug free as I would like. I try to be cordial but he just ignores my existence.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm annoyed and depressed with my classes as well. In that they've been cancelled for the last two weeks with no end in sight.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm annoyed and depressed with mine because I'm sick of school. I have serious senioritis and want desperately to graduate, so I am not focused on anything. I have a midterm tomorrow and am not even studying. *sigh*
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the middle of a course on critical thinking where the assignments are things like "Summarize the standards of critical thinking from chapter 4."
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
its a programming class of 29 people and everyone supposed to make teams of two, this ends up me not being in a team, 2 years in a row now.
Were these groups assigned or could people choose their own partners?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

choose then own, only assigned if no one had teams but a certain point.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Why didn't you partner up with someone, like your friend, then?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad to be done with school, but now I don't know what to do with myself. It's been the complete focus of my life since I was like...2.

It feels weird.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Blayne life will go on....
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
33 pages of software architecture papers to read to go... and no bottles of beer on the wall.

Stupid procrastination.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Why didn't you partner up with someone, like your friend, then?

Because the jerk got to him first.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

So everyone asked people before you did, two years in a row?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.