FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help with oven cleaning

Author Topic: Help with oven cleaning
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
So I made this delicious casserole last Tuesday, when all of a sudden, the FIRE ALARM goes off. I barely, BARELY smell any smoke. The oven is a super deluxe "advanced" oven, with self cleaning, timers, bells, and whistles even. I think it's gas too, and not electric.

Anyway, the cause was found to be casserole juice bubbling over the dish and onto the bottom of the oven, burning and smoking. There's some kind of strange blower fan at the bottom of this thing that...blows out oven air? I'm not sure, but I think it helped shoot the smoke all the way over to the fire alarm.

I don't understand this self-cleaning function. It heats up to an insane temperature, burning off the bad stuff? That'll cause my fire alarm to go off, so how can I clean my oven and use it again?
[Dont Know]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Earendil18:
I don't understand this self-cleaning function. It heats up to an insane temperature, burning off the bad stuff?

Pretty much.

quote:
Originally posted by Earendil18:
That'll cause my fire alarm to go off, so how can I clean my oven and use it again?
[Dont Know]

Turn off the fire alarm for the couple hours it takes. Just don't forget to turn it back on.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't want to use the self-cleaning feature, you can also use an oven cleaner that's safe for self-cleaning ovens (the kind you spray on, let sit, and wipe off.)

Just make sure you're well-ventilated when you do.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(This is an especially good option if you are, like me, in a place where you cannot turn off or disconnect your fire alarm.

In the future if you want to stop the alarm going off, and can't turn it off, put a wet rag over it, that often helps.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lostinspace
Member # 11633

- posted      Profile for Lostinspace   Email Lostinspace         Edit/Delete Post 
Do make sure you use an over cleaner that is safe for self-cleaning ovens. (I have made this mistake..some of these ovens have a special coating on the inside.)
Posts: 176 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"...if you want to stop the alarm going off, and can't turn it off, put a wet rag over it..."

...then dribble more water over the rag until it agrees to cooperate. And if the waterboarding doesn't work, it's time to call in JackBaur.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a window in my kitchen, and opening the kitchen window and running the exhaust fan on the range hood when I'm self-cleaning my oven keep my smoke alarm from going off.

My smoke alarm is not only very sensitive, it also can not be disconnected.

KQ -- how do you get the wet rag to stay on the smoke alarm -- are you taping it to the ceiling?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

When we had a really sensitive alarm right by the kitchen (grrr) we would get the rag dripping wet, put it on the end of a broom, and prop the broom up to hold it against the alarm.
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I used a water/baking soda paste, but I didn't look at the manual, so I'm afraid I may have removed some protective coating? Not sure. The surface of the interior looks like a finely speckled light green.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
Solution: Never use oven.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
My smoke alarm is so sensitive that it goes off sometimes when I take a shower. It reacts to the freakin' steam!!!
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.