FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When did you first read Harry Potter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: When did you first read Harry Potter
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I just need the year.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I started reading the year the movie Prisoner of Azkaban came out in theaters. It had to be between Order of the Phoenix and Half Blood Prince, because I went to the local Barnes and Noble for both midnight releases, but for the first one I was there accompanying friends, and the second one I was eagerly awaiting my own book.

I tried reading it back in I think 2000 but was totally unenthused in the series. When I realized all my friends were reading it and I saw the first couple movies, my interest was piqued again and I read the first five books in one single marathon reading session that took about a day and a half.

So I think I first really read it in 2004.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
The year that Order of the Pheonix came out in hardback.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That's 2003 for Javert.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. [Smile]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
2002, when SS came out on DVD.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it was the year after Chamber of Secrets was released in the US - which I think would put it 2000? Possibly late 1999.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was eleven or twelve, which was around 1998.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
This summer.
I tried to read the first book when it was a huge mega-hit, back in 97 or 98. said "phhhhfff, I've read this a hundred times." Put it down because I wasn't interested in getting sucked into a 10 year process.

Last summer, my ex took me to see order of the phoenix. I enjoyed it. She broke up with me in a heart crushing way, lost interest again.

Current girlfriend is a total harry potter addict. (Jacket is "Dumbledore's army, for hir birthday last month I got her marauder's map coffee mugs). Was bored in july, and she was reading book 6 again, so I picked up the series and plowed through the first five books in a couple days then waited for her to finish 6 and 7 [Smile] I guess altogether I was involved in them for a month or so.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
1999. Summer before eighth grade.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Before anyone had ever heard of them, when they first came out, living in England, about 11 years ago. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was written in 1997. So, 1997. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
1997 Christmas morning...
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
Before anyone had ever heard of them, when they first came out, living in England, about 11 years ago. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was written in 1997. So, 1997. [Smile]

Pfft, cheater [Wink]
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
1999. I read the three first Harry Potter books that year. When new books came out, I would get them from the bookstore at midnight and read them through the night.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
The Christmas before the release of Goblet of Fire...1999.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the year, but it was before the release of Chamber of Secrets.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess it was 2000. That's when Goblet of Fire came out, right?

(edit: checked my amazon records... it was 2001)

[ October 21, 2008, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Before the Prisoner of Azkhaban came out. So 1998?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBlueShadow
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for TheBlueShadow           Edit/Delete Post 
Summer 2000
Posts: 96 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Around 1993 or 1994 (possibly as early as 92) my good friend who is a school librarian told me to watch for these great books about a wizard named Harry Potter. I checked the library regularly for them (along with a list of other books she recommended for my children).

I read the first one as soon as it was published in the US - probably 1997 or 98, and bought each one as soon as it was published. Except for The Half Blood Prince which was spoiled for me the morning after it was released at midnight. My children were visiting their dad on the mainland, so I borrowed it from the spoiler, then bought my copy just before Deathly Hallows was released.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Just before the first movie was released in the theaters. Sorry, don't know the year.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Just before the first movie was released in the theaters. Sorry, don't know the year.

IMDB says that's 2001 for Uprooted.

I started when the last book came out. I read and disliked the first book when it was fairly new. After waiting in line with my significant other for book 7, I decided to give the series another try.

So, that's 2007 for me.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
In the summer of 05, when my sweetheart had to move back with Granma, my kids thought it would be a good thing if I read big books. They lent me all but the last one, and I read them over several months. I would rather have had the girl.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Summer 2000 -- a friend insisted that I read it and loaned me the first on tape for a long car trip. I took it, skeptically, then I immediately went out and got 2-4. [Smile]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
About a year before The Goblet of Fire came out in Hardcover. that would be 1999 or so right?
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Mauibabe and AT must be time travelers. Not to mention mauibabe's librarian friend. [Wink]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever summer(?) it first came out in the US -- Newsweek had a mention of it.

I heard about it so early that by now I've probably intro'd at least 20 different people to the series.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
What does it say about the phenomenon when people are dating their reading by the year the movie came out?
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
2000, just before Goblet of Fire was released.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
Late 99. I was in my second year of college. I had tried the year before, but I didn't care for the beginning of the first book. I still think that the very beginning should've started with Harry and not with the first defeat of Voldemort.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I started reading them shortly after seeing the first movie came out. I thought, incorrectly, that they would just be "kid's books" and not as enjoyable to read.

Turns out that I had plenty of time to read them, since I was recovering from lots of oral surgery...but that's for the "Wisdom" thread...

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
What does it say about the phenomenon when people are dating their reading by the year the movie came out?

I don't know what it says about the phenomenon, but what it says about me is that I didn't want to see the movie till I'd read the book first. So I went and read the book before going w/ my friends to see the movie. *shrug*
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
Mauibabe and AT must be time travelers. Not to mention mauibabe's librarian friend. [Wink]

Well, JKR began writing the books in 1990 or 91.
There was buzz about them in children's library cirles from very early on. I can't remember exactly when my friend told me about Harry Potter, but it was several years before the first book was published.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the whole series this past Christmas. 2007.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:

What time traveler? I think the books were even avalable in Nevada in '05. (I my kids lent them from AZ) That's 2005. I may be old, but I was not old enough to read in 1905.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that only Chamber was out before I read Philosopher, so I must've started sometime in early 1999?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and I got CoS and PoA in our boots for St Nicholas Day in 1999, when I was ten. Yes, that means I read PoA first, and then CoS, and only several months later got to SS.

That summer we were moving and my mom let us buy books for the trip. I got GoF, which had just come out, and my brother got LotR.

In the summer of 2003, my brother and I traveled overseas on our own for the first time. I was very sick and feverish on the trip home, and my brother bought me OotP (which had just come out) in Heathrow Airport so I'd have something to distract me on the plane.

In the summer of 2005, I was at the Governor's Honors Program--sort of an academic summer camp--when HBP came out. Everyone else had their copy mailed to them, and I spent a week saying, "Spoil it, and I'll break your legs" before I managed to borrow a copy. When, two weeks later, my dad came to pick me up, he had bought me HBP as surprise reading material for the car trip. I tactfully told him that I'd much rather spend the five hours talking to him.

Summer of 2007, I was flying standby back from Germany. I was stranded in the Frankfurt airport for a week, and when I finally got a flight out, I ended up stuck in New York overnight, sleeping in JFK Airport. That was the night DH came out. My friends called me from the book release parties I'd been intending to attend with them; eventually, I rushed down to a newsstand, bought a copy (no lines!), and read it that night.

Long post, but it's all one thing in my mind. I very much associate Harry Potter with being uncomfortable and being away from home and grabbing onto something familiar.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I too read DH while waiting on standby! I was in the Chicago airport that day.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

[Big Grin] Sorry, AT. I was thinking of '95.
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBlueShadow
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for TheBlueShadow           Edit/Delete Post 
Joldo, that's the exact order I read them in.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.