FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » #1 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: #1
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Unicorn Feelings:
Boris. Sounds like you need a girlfriend buddy.

quote:
I don't attack individuals

The irony! It burns, it burns!

I laughed so hard I think I hurt something....

I lived near Detroit, and it is one of the most humid places on the Earth. WAY too much surrounded by water, and it gets well over 100 degrees each summer.

I have never lived in Houston, but I would imagine it is the same, only the humidity lasts longer. MI at least has a winter. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was like a block or two away when biggie got shot.

The Petersen Museum is over a mile from La Brea and 3rd (the mile from La Break to Fairfax, measured along Wilshire, IS the "Miracle Mile").
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

- posted      Profile for Unicorn Feelings   Email Unicorn Feelings         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
UF, there is a certain sense in many of the Calvinist branches of Christianity that worldly success is linked to being godly. See: puritan work ethic. Work was held up as a religious duty. This has often merged into the idea that if people were not successful, it was because they were lazy or ungodly. Charity was a good thing, but had to be applied carefully so as not to discourage work.

This was part of the theology of the people who founded this country. It is seeped into our very bones.

edit to add: Also see: prosperity theology.

Yes. The Protestant work ethic rules.

Being an Investor is NOT working.

But then, I am the crazy fool who doesn't believe Corporations have a right to 'Free Speech." ie Donating money to politicians. And you will never, ever be able to convince me that they deserve "Free Speech".

The Marlboro Man and Ronald Mcdonald deserve to be heard too!

Posts: 262 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

- posted      Profile for Unicorn Feelings   Email Unicorn Feelings         Edit/Delete Post 
- Rivka -

As a writer, I am allowed to turn 1 mile into a few blocks, and turn "The Miracle Mile" into Hollywood. It's not like I said I lived in Hollywood and I lived in Orange County.

Ah, Los Angeles, If they say I never loved you, you'll know they are a liar.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

I AM A LIAR I HAVE ONLY LIVED IN WISCONSIN MY WHOLE LIFE AND CHEESE CURDS HAVE MADE ME BE STUPID MORE CHEESE CURDS FOOOS MORE CHEESE CURDS.

I watched Doc Hollywood once, does that count for caca?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But then, I am the crazy fool who doesn't believe Corporations have a right to 'Free Speech." ie Donating money to politicians. And you will never, ever be able to convince me that they deserve "Free Speech".
How about the ACLU? Should it have rights to free speech? It's a corporation (two, actually).

How about America's Agenda: Health Care For All, Inc.? Should this corporation have free speech?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

No. IF you are NOT a singular human being, you should NOT be allow to donate to political candidates.

SINGULAR AMERICAN ADULT HUMANS ONLY

(sorry for caps, the button is busted, look it is fixed)

C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the core of the problem is that money is considered "speech." I see no problem with corporations speaking on behalf of themselves, but that recurring joke in movies where a scumbag says the protagonist is "talking my language" when he hands over a bag of money is a JOKE.
Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
UF you are very in touch with your tough emotions. I admire that.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
also, I know saying this might get me kicked from Hatrack, but...

IN AND OUT BURGER IS OVER RATED

I agree one hundred percent. Does that mean I get banned too?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
No, because you're objectively wrong, therefore your statement has no meaning.

Edit: I forgot a letter.

[ October 28, 2008, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
No. IF you are NOT a singular human being, you should NOT be allow to donate to political candidates.

SINGULAR AMERICAN ADULT HUMANS ONLY

(sorry for caps, the button is busted, look it is fixed)

I didn't ask about donating to candidates. I asked about free speech.

Anyway, I find your position to be antithetical to free speech, the right of association, and the right to petition the government.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't campaign donation part of free speech?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Yes.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Internet, Houston is more humid than Detroit, by about 18% (i.e. averages around 75% humidity when Detroit averages about 65%). Even weirder: they say Madison is more humid than Detroit, thus proving that you can't trust the Internet. Of course, it may just be that no one in Detroit, including public offices, can actually afford to run their air conditioning.

According to the same site, violent crime is three times higher in Detroit than Houston, so I suppose it depends how much being shot bothers you when compared to being sweaty. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

Why should a Corporation, let us say, Citigroup, one of the largest corporations in the world is LESS than 50% owned by Americans, so why should a NON American entity be allowed to pay and petition our politicians?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Why shouldn't a group of people be allowed to contribute to political campaigns or petition our government?

If a group should be allowed to do these things, they why should they lose that ability because they choose to organize themselves in a convenient and efficient way?

Your non-American argument is a red herring here, unless your modifying your original objection to only apply to non-American corporations. Please clarify one way or the other.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not American. Please sir, may I express an opinion on your Presidential candidates?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Are corporations held to the same donation limits as individuals?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why should a Corporation, let us say, Citigroup, one of the largest corporations in the world is LESS than 50% owned by Americans, so why should a NON American entity be allowed to pay and petition our politicians?

Because they do HUGE business in the US, and the policies these candidates espouse directly affect their business. Because they employ Americans?

Why isn't being an investor working? Because they aren't digging ditches, or pretending to be able to write?

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Are corporations held to the same donation limits as individuals?
Corporations can't contribute money from their treasuries to political committees for the purpose of influencing a federal election.
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
[QUOTE]
Why isn't being an investor working? Because they aren't digging ditches, or pretending to be able to write?

Pretending to be able to write? Nice pot shot.

It's an odd position to believe that a man should be able to have 50 bllion dollars worth of assets and believe Christ is King.

The Protestant Investing Ethic!

Scott R
Member # 567

What if those 50 billion dollars in assets are plugged into infrastructure in factories, hospitals, workshops, and businesses that provide jobs and services?

Do you think that Christ requires that he force all those people out of work in order for him to find personal perfection?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
UF, not quite a pot shot. Read the sentence that Kwea quoted out loud and tell me in isn't worded poorly.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

*speechless*
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's an odd position to believe that a man should be able to have 50 bllion dollars worth of assets and believe Christ is King.

Jesus told the rich man to sell his possessions and give to the poor. The rich man, saddened, walked away with his wealth. And Jesus watched him walk away, and let him keep it.

It's not an odd position to believe.

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

/hug
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Why isn't being an investor working? Because they aren't digging ditches, or pretending to be able to write?"

Looting the pension funds of people who have worked for a company for 25 or 30 years or more is not honorable. That behavior is what's being rewarded by investors. They encourage the current trend of companies hiring narcissistic sociopaths to be CEOs, who are willing to loot the pension funds of thousands of companies and make all the stockholders rich. Woo hoo. Frickin' good stuff. Seriously, man, after seeing so many 25- or 30-year blue collar workers in the NC textile and furniture industries laid off, with no safety net or pension or anything, I've got a little bit of a problem with this. My girlfriend's parents were both laid off from Unifi after 25 years with the company. Pension? Wasted on some CEOs bonus, and on a slightly larger dividend on the stock. Not just an smaller pension, none at all. Luckily they found other jobs, but they're in their late 50s. There's not going to be a pension for them from those new jobs. They'll have to work until their health fails, then eke out an existence somehow on social security and whatever their only child, my girlfriend, can give them. What a country.

Seriously, the excessive CEO compensation thing is really nothing but rewarding narcissistic sociopaths to be, well, narcissistic and sociopathic. I mean, I understand paying for performance, but that has gotten out of hand.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, I'm not trying to bust your balls. That stuff is just hitting a little close to home for me.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

And having Corporations DONATE money to politicians is lame, I would argue that money would be best spent on their employees.

...but hey, I understand the corporations deserve free speech too, and this might work in theory, kind of like the 'leave the markets alone and they will work perfectly". Sounds great! But the results are horrible, allowing corporations to pour money into politics is a disaster and it makes the constitution a joke.

Thomas Jefferson said that if we ever allowed corporations to come to America, they'd enslave us all.

Enron was the #1 campaign contributor to George W. Bush from his gubner campaign all the way to they collapsed. They had 88 meetings with W and the White House staff, in the three months up until their collapse.

Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and all the banks that failed donated billions to BOTH parties. Good for America? Good for people? or just good in theory?

Scott R
Member # 567

quote:

Thomas Jefferson said that if we ever allowed corporations to come to America, they'd enslave us all.

He did?
Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

"The current economic situation is ALL the democrats fault!" - OSC

ha ha ha

Unicorn Feelings
Member # 11784

"The current economic situation is ALL the democrats fault!" - OSC

ha ha ha

EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country."

That's the closest thing to what Thor is talking about, I think. Which isn't enslaving us. At all.

But maybe that's not what Thor was referencing?

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:

He did?
I don't know if he said that exactly, but I wouldn't be surprised if he said something like it. Jefferson thought we should all be farmers, and that if our agrarian system was ever given up for an industrial one, we'd all be day wage slaves to aristocratic big wigs and companies.

To his credit, he was pretty much right until the 1900's came along.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.