FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Elderly Abuse

Author Topic: Elderly Abuse
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
My grandma recently moved in with my Uncle and my Aunt-in-law. She has severe allergies to all dogs and cats, but this didn't prevent my Aunt from insisting on buying a dog. They give the dog free reign of the house, so my grandmother only comes out of her room to eat, and even then she needs to wear a mask to do so.

Does this legally qualify as abuse? And what can I do? I want to raise up a storm, but if I get in a fight with my Uncle how is that going to improve my grandmother's standard of living?

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Does your grandma want to move?
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does this legally qualify as abuse?
It might qualify as neglect.

quote:
And what can I do?
If you want official action, you can call Eldercare Locator at 1-800-677-1116.

It's probably worth seeking some kind of unofficial resolution first, assuming you don't think there's immediate danger. One possibility would be to have a doctor present the actual diagnosis and a statement of the risks. A lot of people without allergies don't realize how debilitating this could be. In other words, this could be ignorance, not malice. It's worth giving them a chance to do the right thing after being educated about the situation. Others are probably better situated to give you advice on how to approach that.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Does your granda have other possibilities for a place to live?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Jhai- She talks to me about it all the time, and I can hear it in her voice that she's frustrated, but she would never say a word against her own son (my Uncle.)

Dag-there isn't immediate danger, and of course I'd like to seek unofficial resolution first. I just want to know the angles. Thanks.

kmbboots- Basically, my grandpa died, and my mom moved her into our house with myself and my dad. I moved about 1000 miles away and my mom passed away, so then it was only my grandmother and my dad. My grandmother moved in with my Uncle because my dad worked a lot and she was lonely- now she can't really leave her room and the family she lives with is neglecting her.

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Does she have the option of moving to a retirement home? Maybe that would be better than the current situation.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
No way that's abuse. It's their house right? She isn't being forced to live there.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
If they had the dog before she moved in, I would say suck it up. But if they bought the dog after making the committment to house her, then they were in the wrong.

ETA: They should restrict the dog's access to the house either way.

[ October 30, 2008, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: scholarette ]

Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
They were in the wrong, but it's hardly abuse.

She moves out.
They get rid of the dog.
Allergy medicine.
Shave the dog.
Dog lives in the garage or outside.
She wears scuba gear.

Those are the options I see.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.