FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Senator McCain Concedes

Author Topic: Senator McCain Concedes
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
As announced by NPR. NPR

His concession speech was very gracious and kind.

The audience was a wee bit disgruntled.

Wow!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
LINK???
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the speech was fantastic. Very gracious and honorable. Even inspirational to me, which is something I've not felt from McCain in a while.

I was disappointed with the crowd, but I can't blame them too much. They went there to celebrate a McCain victory, not to hear him admit defeat.

I don't have a link, I watched it live on CNN.

Barack Obama will be speaking soon though.

[ November 04, 2008, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Vadon ]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
You can watch it directly on the CNN website. I just watched it live, but I saw a link there.

Phew, I can't believe it!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. Slow modem. Link added.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Don't be sorry, I've been up all night her in Czech, so I'm hoping to go to bed soon- just want to see the vid.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
CNN: http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I could have voted for that guy. Excellent speech, hit all the right notes. The audience was annoying, but it was the best speech McCain gave this whole campaign.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

teh Ironix.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do candidates always wait until they have lost to become likable?
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You heard his supporters. If he had run like that, he'd have lost his base and stolen part of Obama's middle. It would have been a closer fight though.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
See, I could have voted for that guy. Excellent speech, hit all the right notes. The audience was annoying, but it was the best speech McCain gave this whole campaign.

Yah. It reminded me of 2000, and why I supported McCain and may have voted for him over Gore (if he had won the primary obviously)
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
Why do candidates always wait until they have lost to become likable?

If he'd played to the middle from the start, it's likely that he could have drawn a lot of support there, perhaps even to the extent that he could have sunk Obamma's campaign before it really got off the ground.

Of course, by the time he actually got the Republican nomination it would be too late to go back, and I don't know if he could have gotten the nomination speaking to the center.

And honestly, either choice in the Obama McCain race seems a lot better to me than anyone from a Clinton Huckabee race.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Traditionally, candidates run away from center in the primary and towards the center in the general election. This year, both candidates seemed to shy away from the center in the general and let the chips fall where they may.

One reason Obama won is the pendulum was swinging left this year (thanks to 8 years of Bush), so his strategy worked.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.