FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Let it Ring- an Orincoro work in progress

Author Topic: Let it Ring- an Orincoro work in progress
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
This is kind of an unusual style for me.

But then again, for those of you who have sampled my music over the past few years, it's not like you've come to expect any one kind of thing from me. I think my approach to music is sort of like Spanish poetry- elegiac, fragile, never "finished," and not polished in the sense of smoothness or fittedness (which my computer tells me is not a word... but it works).

Anyway, I think this could turn into something I am immensely proud of. Please let me know what you think.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

- posted      Profile for All4Nothing   Email All4Nothing         Edit/Delete Post 
It definitely has alot of potential. I can imagine it fitting into a movie at the moment when you can't actually hear what anyone is saying, and all you have to rely on is images and the sound.
Posts: 115 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
I really, really like it.

Suggestions (Feel free to ignore this part):

Try adding a bit of reverb (not as much as your speech samples) to your synths to give them a bit more texture/space.

See if you can bring out those lovely harmonics/dissonant moments with some creative EQing.

Gradually vary the dynamics of your bass line to emphasize phrasing/emotional impact.

If you ever release an album or single, I'd love to take a stab at some cover art, a music video, etc.

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice. Nods to Radiohead/Sigur Ros. Reminded me of Requiem for a Dream.

You have all of these brilliant ideas, Lloyd, but I feel like you're only giving us a glimpse of each one. Your music is dying to being "fleshed out".

But of course, That's just my opinion, man. [Wink]

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it awful of me that I keep expecting a dance beat to kick in?

Nice work- I like how the way things fade in and out and move from source to source plays with the simplicity of the instruments.

Is the speech sample Martin Luther King?

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was excellent however, the last minute and a half after the voice is finished got a bit tedious. You either need to shorten it or add some transitions to give it a sense of progression.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro, very nice work as usual. Thanks for sharing!

An odd thing happened to me: after downloading your mp3, it opened up in iTunes (in itself, not unusual), and I was listening to the piece and enjoying it. Since I was surfing the net at the time, I wasn't paying complete attention to the end of the piece.

Imagine my surprise when the beginning of Copland's Hoe Down (from Rodeo - it's the "Beef: it's what's for dinner" for all the lay-people out there) starts to play.

A bit...jolting.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

:snort:

You also have to be aware of where on your itunes library, your recording of Black Angels is located.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Very true
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Launchywiggin:
Nice. Nods to Radiohead/Sigur Ros. Reminded me of Requiem for a Dream.

You have all of these brilliant ideas, Lloyd, but I feel like you're only giving us a glimpse of each one. Your music is dying to being "fleshed out".

But of course, That's just my opinion, man. [Wink]

The dude abides.
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
It was almost Vangelis-ish. Like a mix between the music from Blade Runner and Metroid.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Two pieces of music I am not familiar with. I will have to look them up. I'm not familiar with Vangelis, that I know if (maybe I am and don't remember the name).

Edit: listening to Vangelis tracks on itunes... initial reaction: yuck.

[ November 28, 2008, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, he's hit and miss to be sure. He did the soundtrack to Blade Runner, and some of his collaborative stuff with Jon Anderson of Yes I kinda like.

Metroid is a videogame.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I don't want to identify myself with midi composers- I'm not a midi composer. In fact, this is the first piece I have ever done using midi of any kind, and in this case, I spent quite a lot of time making sure the sounds were of a good quality, and adding quite a lot of filters and other measures to make sure it didn't sound "midi." At the least, that makes me a granular synthesis composer, because I treat the midi sounds like raw material that can be brought to life, rather than fully formed notes- to me they just don't fly as music.

You'll notice, most apparently, there are few mid-range sounds between C-2 and C-4, where midi sounds the worst, because that is the range in which the sounds are the most complex, and the lack of convincing overtones is most noticeable and ugly.

Edit to add: Vangelis' style seems also to be primarily through-composition with additive/subtractive arrangement. I *never* through-compose my music- it's antithetical to the way I think about form and structure, and I really can't stand most music that is put together that way. At worst it is lazy (and I've known plenty of people who did it because they were lazy), and at best it is just uninvolving. I actually studied, briefly, with a very famous composer who was primarily interested in improvisation and through-composition, and he had very little to offer his students as a teacher. He was quite good at encouraging innovative thinking, but when you don't follow up on your ideas and weigh/consider their effects on your overall work, and more importantly, transfer that thought into your work so that it can be appreciated, then you aren't really composing, you're just recording musical onanism, in my opinion. Even more of a turn-off, he was the type of musician who actually thought classical training spoiled the mind for creative thinking. of his 15 students in that particular course, about 8 were classically trained, and all but one of us dropped the course after a couple of weeks out of exasperation.

[ November 29, 2008, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

Yeah, many of his songs are like that, and I'm not a fan of most of them. But much of his collaborative stuff that I mentioned before is more classically structured a-b-a-b-c-a-b-c type stuff. I'm not a real big fan of the guy, but I respect his work. I was just saying that the one song of yours reminded me a bit of some of his stuff.

And Metroid, which is cool.

Hey, is Orincoro an Enya reference?

Orincoro
Member # 8854

That has been asked before, actually. No, it was at one time a Star Trek reference, but the order of the letters got reversed when I lost access to the original aim account I was using about 10 years ago. It was originally Orinoco, and then OrinocoR, and then became Orincoro.
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
These people:
quote:
he was the type of musician who actually thought classical training spoiled the mind for creative thinking.
make me [Wall Bash]
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

It's basically like a writer saying that if he knew anything about grammar, he wouldn't be able to put sentences together. To a certain extent, it changes how you look at structure, but it doesn't take anything away from you- maybe just the illusion of something you thought you had.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.