FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Final Papers/Projects, oh Joy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Final Papers/Projects, oh Joy
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a thread for those of us writing term papers or doing final projects for the semester to encourage one another, or alternately, publicly bang our heads against the wall, thusly: [Wall Bash]

I have one 8 page paper due on Tuesday, the 2nd, and another 8 page paper due next Thursday, the 11th.

Today, I'm working on the Tuesday paper, which is for my discourse analysis course. I'm analyzing the narrative structure and ideological stance of feminist revisionist myth-making poetry. Sounds dumb, I know, but it's actually not that bad. I just have a lot of work to go - so far I've only written the introduction. Paper 2 had not been started, but it will be on Charles Brockden Brown's novel Wieland.

So to recap:

Paper #1 due December 2
Current page count - 1 of 8

Paper #2 due December 11
Current page count - 0 of 8

Currently working on:
Procrastinating

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I have two seminar papers, both due on December 15. One is one Heidegger's Being and Time, specifically on how his shift from will to care as the primary ontological concern impacts Christian doctrines of soteriology. The second is on Anselm of Cantebury, focusing on his theological method, specifically in the Cur Deus Homo, the impact of the political situation in church and society in the 11th century on the writing of said work, and how it can/cannot be appropriated today in a vastly different political, scientific, and philosophical worldview.

Current pagecounts: 7/25 and 0/25.

Currently working on: nursing the baby while browsing the internet.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had something to do, school-wise.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
Currently working on:
Procrastinating

Shvester!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well. I've got this PhD thesis. Currently working on a service project which is not getting me any closer to graduating, but does need to be done.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
So, is this an appropriate thread for instructors to post in? I'm casually wondering about the quality of the projects that will be handed in to me.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got an 8-12 page paper due this Friday. It's on McDonald's, which I find absolutely fascinating, so fascinating, in fact, that I've simply been reading more and more into it instead of actually concentrating on getting something down on paper. I'm thinking, though, that I'd like to talk about McDonald's role in modern society and how that came to be.
It must be good stuff, because I don't even eat there.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
5 page paper due on Tuesday.

0 of 5 pages completed, because I still have 100 pages left to read of one of the two books I have to analyze.

Then it's on to studying for finals!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
22 of 15 pages completed for tomorrow.

It's my Senior Seminar paper, so I felt ok in going a little (ok, quite a bit) over the minimum.

Currently working on:
Bibliography and final editing. Then I'm done with this sucker that has sucked my Thanksgiving break dry.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Current progress: 4/8.

Currently working on - going to bed. Today is my anniversary, BTW. Seventeen years. Unfortunately, hubby and I haven't been able to celebrate - too busy. He's an instructor at the local junior college and has spent his Thanksgiving break getting some things done and preparing for the end of the semester, and I've been working on papers and other final projects.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Congrats, Belle. [Smile] That's a long time. You'll just have a belated celebration, neh?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Yeah, probably when I graduate. [Razz]

Seriously, there's so much effort going into getting me out of school and (hopefully) into a job that I can't think about much else at the moment.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
do y'all get assigned a number of pages rather than wordcount?

I have a 3000 word essay to write before Christmas. It's plenty of time but I only have one available weekend to write it in. i did all the provided reading and now need to do some research.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 25-30 page paper on legal obligation and paternalism due on the 11th. On page 17.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
Seriously, there's so much effort going into getting me out of school and (hopefully) into a job that I can't think about much else at the moment.

Makes sense. [Smile]
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could say I was getting there with my papers. I made a really good start to the term, but it's all getting a bit fraught now. Here's my list:

Paper on Heinz-Georg Gadamer - 1500 words, due Dec 19th - done

Learning journals for approaches to the study of religion, 500 words per journal, due Dec 19th - 6 journals completed out of 9 so another 1500 words to go

Literature of Muslim Societies essay, 4000 words, due Dec 19th. I have a topic but haven't started yet.

Islamic History research proposal, 2000 words, due Dec 19th. Done about 700 words but no footnotes or lit review yet.

Then I also have final exams in Arabic, Islamic History and Encountering Islam in the week beginning Dec 15th.

It does feel like a lot when you write it all down, doesn't it?!

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished a 5 page essay due today. Now I'm off to bed to get like 2 hours sleep.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Two websites, a brochure, other final design projects and various assignments and performance exams (take-home) that I simply haven't gotten done.

I did work on the website that's due for peer review tomorrow but it's not ready yet.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Dkw, I'm a total Heidegger nerd, so if you want to discuss that paper, I'm up for it.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw, would love to read your Heidegger paper when you are done with it.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uindy
Member # 9743

- posted      Profile for Uindy           Edit/Delete Post 
I have three really big papers due in the next two weeks! One paper is over Browning's My Last Duchess, One is an arugmnet for Capital Punishment
and the last one is a summery of Christian Theology.

Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure amira, and I'd love to read your Gadamer paper. We read Truth and Method this semester, but I kind of skimmed because it was a week I wasn't presenting or responding and I was already gearing up for Heidegger the next week. What program are you in, btw? I'd forgotten (if I knew) that you were going back to school.

Foust, what made you into a Heidegger nerd? I latched onto him in this phenomonology seminar because of the distinctions he made between ontic and ontological and existential and existentiell. It seemed like an interesting way to break out of the foundationalist trap. And then I got intrigued by what breaking away from foundationalism does to theology and ethics.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

quote:
and the last one is a summery of Christian Theology.
[Eek!] Good luck!

Current progress:

Paper 1: 6/8
Paper 2: 0/8

Update:

[Party]

Paper 1 - 9/8
Paper 2 - 0/8

Currently working on:

NOTHING!

[ December 01, 2008, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got three final papers, an eight pager on the influence of protest movements on higher education, a fifteen pager on materialism's influence on social interaction in Timon of Athens and Melville's Confidence Man, and a twenty page paper on Immanuel Kant's use of form in his discussion of aesthetics. This is my first set of final papers, but Brown prepped me pretty heavily with regular papers.

Current Progress
Paper 1: 0/8 (researching)
Paper 2: 5/15
Paper 3: 0/20 (researching)

Helpful comments?

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
You went to Brown? Nice! --> Is an undergrad there

Ok!

Paper one : Philosophy, 5 pages, due 15th. 0/5
Final Psychology 12th
Final Economics 20th

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I have 8 benchmarks for web programmer to do, half of them late, and about 2 projects for telecommunications to do. Those luckily are done just need to be handed it.

And need to study my ass off to get 100 on my final calculus exam.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
You went to Brown? Nice! --> Is an undergrad there

Oh, I'm still going to Brown, I'm a Freshman. Excuse the poor word choice on my part. I was trying to say that all the papers during first semester prepared me for the final papers.

We totally go to the same school.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like one of those Hatrack Romances [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm still at 0/5 on my one paper that's due in a little under 10 hours. I'm not really worried though. The last paper I had for this class I finished about an hour before class started and I ended up getting a perfect score on it. Though in retrospect I think that had more to do with the general poor quality of the rest of the class than with the inherent goodness of the paper, which is troubling.

Either way, I'm ahead of where I was on that paper, which means unlike last time, I might actually get to sleep tonight!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
dante: why don't we meet up at the ratty or something?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

Sure, my schedule is mostly open, name a time.
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Fixing up my article a tad before adding more information concerning the relationship between epistemology and obligation, as well as some final arguments concerning morality, civil disobedience, and some other things. (I'm a natural law theorist)
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
*pictures two guys hanging out under a giant statue of a snarling rat*

I have a 3-5 page paper for spanish due on the 8th

A 5-6 page paper on Herodotus and Thucydides due the 12th

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yuck. I love history more than most anyone I know, but Herodotus is about as boring as it gets.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
What translation are you reading? I find Herodotus engaging and conversational.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think it's the Penguin Classics version.

Thucydides I liked, both for his writing and his methodology, but Herodotus just seemed to drone on and on. It had its high points, as anything that long would have, but for the most part I felt mired in a neverending string of different versions of things that may or may not have happened. Admittedly I haven't read it in a couple years, and when I did read it I was up against a deadline, which generally detracts from how much I enjoy a book. It's possible a second reading would garner better results, in much the same way that reading Tolkien a second time after an initial bad reaction led to a very favorable result.

It'll probably be a long time before I have the free time to give it that sort of attention though.

At the moment I have about three and a half hours left to finish the paper I'm working on before I have to leave for class, which should be more than enough time. I might even get to sleep a little tonight.

I'm finding this paper particularly vexing. We had to read two books; "The Confederate War" by Gary Gallagher and "Virginia's Private War" by William Blair, and then specify where they disagree and then choose a side on who makes the better argument for why the Confederacy failed. The problem with this is that the two of them agree on a vast swath of the arguments being made, and in fact reference each other time and again. Blair even thanks Gallagher in his acknowledgements section specifically for helping him. Ferreting out points of contention is looking extremely tedious. Furthermore, Blair's study is just of Virginia, whereas Gallagher's is of all of the Confederacy, which makes it hard to say who was right when Blair is referencing conditions that weren't applicable to most of the south.

I fear I'm going to spend the next two hours doing a lot of speculating without a whole lot of evidence to back me up, which I hate doing. Part of me wants to just abandon the topic entirely and write a paper picking apart the errors that BOTH of them make, in particular Gallagher's assumptions and general disorganized writing style. But I have a hard time reading how the professor reacts to that kind of venturing.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Herodotus, his voice (in translation) reminded me of Tom Paine. But I can't remember what translation I read... Not Penguin though.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheBlueShadow
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for TheBlueShadow           Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see. Today, I have my French presentation (on Madagascar) and we'll take our last quiz. I'm finished with the presentation and it should go fine, but I, like many of my classmates, am going to have a problem with the question and answer session at the end. This class' final is on Thursday and I'm slightly stressed because of it.

Next, I have a 20 page paper due on Monday concerning the standing army, commerce, and executive power issues before the American Revolution, how they were addressed and whether or not the Constitution satisfactorily resolves the problems. I have the research for this paper, so it's just a matter of actually sitting down to get it all together. I really am not worried over this because the topic can change as needed to suit my whims. I guess that's an advantage for a pick-your-own-topic kind of paper.

Georgia History Final on 12/10 will be easy enough. I wish this was the Final I'm taking Thursday, but I'm not so lucky.

French Presentation due Today
- Done

Last French Quiz Today
- Currently unprepared, but working on it

French Final 12/4
- Unprepared

Paper due 12/8
- 0/20

Georgia History Final on 12/10
- Prepared

Posts: 96 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
This seems to be my standing in terms of my final disconcerting week/s:

Exam1: Admin Management - 12/3
Exam2: Systems Perfomance-12/3

Graph Theory Article Report - 12/5
Graph Theory Exam 12/9
Graph Theory Project: consisting of a program written in language of choice that generates random graphs of a variable amount with each vertex having a value of 1 or 0 (on and off). It's an off shot of the Lights Out game, except we need to test for all intial configuration and record how many "pushes" (changing the adjacent vertices to a 1 or 0 depending on current value) it takes to get to the light number, or minimum amount of lights, 0 or otherwise. Then producing a report for all the data, which is considerable, explaining are findings. And I am deead in the water concerning the issue. Due 12/5.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If you elaborate slightly more on the graph theory project, I might be able to provide some hints.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

McDonald's research paper due 8/12 :: [7/8-12]
I'm getting there!

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading a penguin classics version. Translated by Aubrey de selincourt.

Progress is minimal/evident only in my non-writing based classes. I'm well prepared for finals in psychology and organic chemistry. My spanish paper is thoroughly outlined and thought out, but not written. My Histories paper is nebulously thought-out.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the offer fugu13, I was able to grind through it, but I appreciate the offer.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just shy of 4 pages into a 6-8 page paper due in about 6 hours.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Get moving, Mr. Funny!

I have an 8 page paper due on Thursday - and I'm just sitting down to get started.

This is my last paper as an undergrad. I am supremely unmotivated about it. I can't seem to get going! I'm going to try and make myself do 3 pages today, tomorrow, and Wednesday, then proofread Thursday morning.

Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

Ok. Spanish paper done and handed in and it's super-fantástico. Lo me gusta, por lo menos.

Things still to go:
Psych test tomorrow
Organic Chemistry Final exam friday
Thucydides, Herodotus paper Friday 0/5-6 complete
Preparation for essays on the array of greek literature we've read this semester for final exam on friday.

TheBlueShadow
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for TheBlueShadow           Edit/Delete Post 
French Presentation due 12/2
- Done; Got a 92
Last French Quiz 12/2
- Got 25/25
French Final 12/4
- Done; Went pretty well but no grades have been posted yet.
Paper due 12/8
- 20/20 and turned in; Probably passed [Wink] but can't say I'm thinking too clearly after that stress.
Georgia History Final on 12/10
- Prepared

Just have my easy final left. Can't wait till Wednesday!

Posts: 96 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

I finished the paper a good 70 seconds before needing to leave for class. Yay!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
A brilliant thread, I approve!

Paper #1 (12 Pages): Australia's involvement in the Vietnam War.

Paper #2 (5 pages): British Purposes in the Southern Campaign of the American Revolutionary War.

Paper #3 (6 pages): Recurring Themes in the Vietnam War.

Paper #4 (8 pages): An Analysis of the Effect of Education on Voting Patterns When Controlling for Race. This topic is flexible, I might write about something else but it's gotta be some sort of analysis.

So far I am 7/12 for the first paper and that's it. The analysis paper is due 12/11, the revolution paper on 12/15, and the two Vietnam papers on 12/16. I've got quite a few keys to tap out this week.

The funny thing is that several of my teachers opted for final papers rather than a final exam this semester and sprung their plans on us all just this past Friday. Out of five classes I only have two proper exams.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Paper 2 - Oracular reasoning in Charles Brockden Brown's Wieland

Progress - 2.5/8

Mood: hungry

currently working on - finishing my quota of 3 pages so I can call it a night. 1/2 page to go!

I guess I should throw in my finals. I have three - one at 10:15 on Thursday, another at 3:45 on Thursday, and the final one at 7:00 on Thursday. yep, all three in one day. All will be essay finals. My hands are going to be cramped something fierce by the end of it all.

Update:

3.25/8

time to go eat!

[ December 09, 2008, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Belle ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.