FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Like "Twilight"? You'll love "Lightning"!

Author Topic: Like "Twilight"? You'll love "Lightning"!
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I've been bored lately...

quote:
In the cafeteria I sat with some of my new friends: Marc, the captain of the local pitchfork-hurling team, who kept asking me to go to a movie with him; Alyssa, his girlfriend, who was so friendly and open she kept finding reasons to brush her hand across my face and upper body, and Jimbo, who kept drawing my face in his notebook over and over and asking me what I thought about high school marriages. Oh, when would I ever find someone who liked me?

Then I saw him. Over against the wall, at a table by himself, was one boy like no other. He was easily 7 feet tall, looming over the rest of us like a god looking out over the world he has created. His noble brow and piercing gaze captured my heart instantly, and I found myself shamelessly looking him up and down. An intricate network of scars crisscrossed his skin, which was the color of the sea after a storm, and I was possessed of an overwhelming desire to trace those scars with my trembling fingers. His manly jaw hung slightly slack, and his deep black eyes stared into a distance I could not fathom. Everything about him was amazing. His powerful chest spoke of strength, his broad shoulders spoke of responsibility, the body mods at his neck - a pair of matched bolts - spoke of a taste for the exotic, and the way he was methodically shoving what looked like a quarter of a sheep into his mouth told me he was a man of powerful appetites but rigid self-control. I half-heartedly tried to get his attention by flinging a fork at him, but it bounced off his thick forehead without his notice.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I wish Shannon Hale, Mette Ivie Harrison, or Jessica Day George got even a -smidgen- of the insane hype Stephenie Meyer's gotten. [Smile]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lyzabeth Mary Sue Powers
[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

*chokes with laughter*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
O
M
G
[ROFL]

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I half-heartedly tried to get his attention by flinging a fork at him, but it bounced off his thick forehead without his notice.

Thats where I choked on my pot pie...

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
AND BY POT PIE YOU OBVIOUSLY MEAN....Well, I have no idea. But I know this deserved all caps for SOMETHING,sooo....

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend reminded me that the proper genre for this type of fiction is Wangst. Or, in this case, supernatural wangst.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the W for? (I really don't know).
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

It's a portmanteau word combining "whining" with "angst," with a hint of "wanking" in there to further emphasis the solitary and somewhat pathetic nature of it. And a darn handy word it is.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oye! There is nothing pathetic about wanking. It's perfectly acceptable, and recommended by doctors as good for mental and sexual health when used in moderation. [Razz]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the parody. Wank you very much.

(edited because my first pun was even lamer)

[ December 08, 2008, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Sachiko ]

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.