FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is the hardest video game? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What is the hardest video game?
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I was doing some curiosity googling and came across this video. I'm not about to download the game, but it sure does look hard....

Say, what is the hardest video game, anyway?

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that that's really hard, so much as "using the player's expectations that it's going to play like 'Super Mario Bros.' against him." Most of the deaths in the video are avoidable, if the player stops assuming they'll be able to jump directly over gaps from the close edge. And, notably, the game gives the player a (infinite?) number of chances to try.

Many people have suggested a game called "I Wanna Be The Guy" ( link ) ranks up there.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
oh man that is the FUNNIEST game i have EVER seen
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saephon
Member # 9623

- posted      Profile for Saephon   Email Saephon         Edit/Delete Post 
I second I Wanna Be The Guy. Just try to beat it. TRY. *muffled sobs*
Posts: 349 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Almost 30 years and I still haven't seen Tempest surpassed from a pure motor skills standpoint.
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Ketsui.

I hyperventilate just watching other people play.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, I didn't find IWBTG that hard, just frustrating. I still managed to beat it.

I would say that any of the Touhou games can be devastatingly difficult. Also, the final level of the hard mode of Cave Story (Dokukutsu Montagari) was a pretty rough ride.

I dunno what the hardest game I've ever played is, but I know that there have been some games that I couldn't beat no matter how much I tried.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
A similar beast.

It's probably not up there in the "hardest of all time" tier, but the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game for the NES was kind of stupid. It was one of the few I owned, but never beat.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
oh man that is the FUNNIEST game i have EVER seen

About two thirds of the way I couldn't stop laughing. I particularly like the ending, when he's running around the castle thinking "OK... now what?"
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
This just makes me want to watch King of Kong: Fistfull of Quarters again.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's probably not up there in the "hardest of all time" tier, but the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game for the NES was kind of stupid. It was one of the few I owned, but never beat.
QFT. I never made it past the level where you have to disarm the charges under the water. Well, maybe I did once.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Ninja Gaiden, the remake for the X-Box, was difficult enough for me that I only played it once.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
"Caverns" was our equivalent in college. It's an infuriating DOS game that I don't even want to go looking for.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I'd also say that "Smash TV" is the hardest game to beat on one credit, though. I think that may just be impossible.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Top Gun for the original NES. I could never land on the aircraft carrier, and even the friends of mine who could still never got any further. the missions were just impossible.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Ninja Gaiden, the remake for the X-Box, was difficult enough for me that I only played it once.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/445123
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Battletoads was rather nasty starting at the third level.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Final Fantasy I hands down, beats all else.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
But the hardest game to STOP playing is Solitaire. Or Freecell, if I'm feelin' fancy.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Sachiko! Miss you girl!!!

I don't play hard games so I don't know what the hardest would be. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
Final Fantasy I is not the hardest game. Not by a long shot. Theoretically you could level grind and waltz through it if you had the time.

Are we judging by trial and error or by pure skill?

Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Contra.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIriaq8VAM0&feature=related

Deadly towers. unbeatable

Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
Zork and the underground empire. I defy any of you to beat it without using a walkthrough.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Philosofickle:
Zork and the underground empire. I defy any of you to beat it without using a walkthrough.

I did, but it took me a hell of a long time.

quote:
Final Fantasy I hands down, beats all else.
Gosh, I hope you're joking. I got I guess the "remake" for it on the PSP, and I blew through it with no difficulty whatsoever.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
I never knew anyone to get past Mike Tyson on MT's Punchout, and it took me forever to beat Super Mario Bros. 1. Call of Duty 4 on Veterans is nearly impossible as well.

But right now, I am playing a game called Mirrors Edge that is incredibly difficult. Great game though, it is Tomb Raider only done in a much better way.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars: Rebellion on any difficulty higher than easy is freakishly difficult. You need to keep the game at a very slow speed because you can never let any production plants go idle to stay caught up with the computer.

I've beaten the 'cat mario' that you linked to at the top. It's a hilarious game, but I wouldn't call it difficult because one, you get infinite lives, and two it's just trial and error. There were only maybe two or three difficult parts in the game. A more challenging game is Super Mario World in the Special levels.

Final Fantasy I is quite a bit more difficult in the original NES form because of the medium, I think. The time to grind seems longer with the slow battles.

And perhaps the most difficult game I can think of is One Must Fall: 2097 on a modern computer at full speed and difficulty. Button bashing is your only prayer, and even then, it's not going to help. That said, I have so many fond memories of that game. I still rock out to the main menu theme.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Star Wars: Rebellion on any difficulty higher than easy is freakishly difficult. You need to keep the game at a very slow speed because you can never let any production plants go idle to stay caught up with the computer.
You're joking right? Are we thinking of the same Star Wars: Rebellion?

Usually when I play, with the galaxy on its largest setting, and with the difficulty at its highest level, I let the game run for a 150 or so days, sometimes more, just to give the computer a headstart, otherwise it's so easy it's no fun at all.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Battletoads, original NES version.

*Virtually impossible.*

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
A similar beast.

I don't know if those NES games were just made for a Japanese sensibility, but many of them were so poorly designed, that no one but the video game freak could get anyone without terrible frustration. It's no wonder GameGenie was so popular. You couldn't get past the third level of battletoads without it- just couldn't, without weeks and weeks of frustration and repetition of the first levels.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
You couldn't get past the third level of battletoads without it- just couldn't, without weeks and weeks of frustration and repetition of the first levels.
I don't remember Battletoads being that difficult; was the third level the level with the speeder bikes?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Yes, the one with the bikes. And don't give me any BS about you getting through it in easy time- it's ranked in IGN's top 5 of the hardest ever.

The level where you race the ball around a 360 degree race track is nearly impossible by itself without significant practice- there's no way you could beat the game with just the three lives given (plus continues) in less than a matter of months.

Scott R
Member # 567

Yeah, the bike level sucked; I remember it being further on in the game, though.

That said, keep in mind that people who say they have had a different experience than you are not automatically lying.

Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
I never knew anyone to get past Mike Tyson on MT's Punchout
I could never get past the first minute of his Dynamite Punches; but a friend of mine, who did not own an NES and only played at his friends' houses, beat the game regularly.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I have beaten Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Final Fantasy I, BattleToads (after a long time of training the timing of boards), Deadly Towers (though admittedly with some Nintendo Power help on that one).

Never did beat TMNT (NES) or Master Blaster (NES), and my Castlevania always crashed just as I reached the Grim Reaper. Gave up on Hylide (NES) too.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:

That said, keep in mind that people who say they have had a different experience than you are not automatically lying.

OF course not, it's just that Battletoads is my white whale, so I'm sensitive. Plus, I really do think anyone who says they could beat that game was either a maniac, or just lying. It was, for all practical purposes, unbeatable. That said too, I've seen videos of people beating it, but they've memorized every move of every level.

Self-correction: the hover car level was 3rd, the handbike level with the sphere was 9th, out of 10. But to get there you had to beat or warp through so many hard levels, it was ridiculous.

Plus, there were many obstacles in the game that could not be beaten the first time, such as the snake stages, which you had to learn one step at a time, or be extremely lucky. Same went for the pipes level, which had spikes layed out in landing areas that were impossible to predict, and had to be memorized. MAN that was a hard game.

Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
Battletoads is commonly called the hardest game by the gaming media outlets...
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Has anyone ever beaten Shining Force II for the Sega Genesis? Of all the games that I haven't beaten, that was the one that I enjoyed the most.
TL
Member # 8124

My friend Kirk and I beat Battletoads on the second rental when we were twelve.... The games that I recall giving us the most difficulty back then were Astyanax and the original Ninja Gaiden. (We eventually passed them, though.)
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I miss the days when they'd make games that were easy to play but nearly impossible to beat...
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Tresopax is jonesing for Missile Command and Space Invaders.

[Smile]

Why do you think that is, Tres?

Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
NetHack, Hack, or any of the various other "rogue-like" games.

Seriously.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Followed by ET on the Atari and Friday the 13th on the NES.

But unlike Nethack, it's not that they were hard . . . they were more broken than anything.

Can you even kill Jason?

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

I was 13 when BattleToads came out, and had absolutely no life. I was also the sort of obsessive Nintendo kid that would play a board umpteen million times until I had memorized every tiny twitch that was needed to move on. I guess that would fall under the definition of "maniac".

Though, I must say, I remember BattleToads being amazingly stressful, especially the vehicle boards.

If I had been 15 when the game came out, I would have given up long before the end... probably long before the middle. I had made the switch to more instant-gratification sports/fighting games at that point, along with strategy games. Action games were pretty much out once I hit high school.

Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Super Ghouls and Ghosts anyone?
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Has anyone ever beaten Shining Force II for the Sega Genesis? Of all the games that I haven't beaten, that was the one that I enjoyed the most.

I play that regularly on my Sega emulator. Actually, I just finished playing it a couple days ago. I LOVE Shining Force. II is actually pretty funny too if you read the dialogue between some of the characters. It's fun to try and make it harder by playing with characters that aren't totally awesome on the face of it, though it might take awhile to build them up. Of course that also gets annoying after awhile, which is why I only play it every few months, along with Shining Force I, and Shadowrun for Sega.

Where did you get caught up? Frankly I think the hardest part of that game is the sheer time it takes to do anything. The long battles and the fact that it takes forever to get around could be an obstacle to finishing the game. Plus it has a couple puzzles, like putting the wooden board in the tree to get the Achilles sword to kill the giant, or finding the entrance to the cave to Creed's.

I love that game. [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
... is my white whale...

Oh, false alarm.

*leaves thread*

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by TL:
My friend Kirk and I beat Battletoads on the second rental when we were twelve....

YOU LIE! LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR!!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

[Hat]

TL
Member # 8124

Well, see, the thing is, we played so much Nintendo, we were pretty much impossibly good. Nintendo was our lives.
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Halo on mythic is hard, but i could not win a game against the com in virtua tennis...
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.