FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is the hardest video game? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What is the hardest video game?
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I could never get past the first minute of his Dynamite Punches
Yeah, I could never even get to him. I couldn't get past Bald Bull the second time, I kid you not. Go ahead and laugh...

quote:
Halo on mythic is hard
There is no mythic level on Halo, but Legendary is quite difficult, agreed. In fact, Halo 3 on legendary, and turn on all the skulls and that is nearly impossible. In fact, I would say that *is* impossible.
Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
How about Zach McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders?

I mean, Lucasarts was always known for it's strange adventure game puzzles, but that game takes the cake.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Where did you get caught up? Frankly I think the hardest part of that game is the sheer time it takes to do anything. The long battles and the fact that it takes forever to get around could be an obstacle to finishing the game. Plus it has a couple puzzles, like putting the wooden board in the tree to get the Achilles sword to kill the giant, or finding the entrance to the cave to Creed's.

:nod:

I stalled out at the next to the last big battle, I think. I think the early game is delightful; but the last part just gets too bogged down with team management and, like you said, travel issues.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
"Caverns" was our equivalent in college. It's an infuriating DOS game that I don't even want to go looking for.

Caverns of Gink, perchance? Where you had to go over every inch of the platforms to change their color? I think I beat that once. (And only once.)
quote:
Originally posted by Herblay:
NetHack, Hack, or any of the various other "rogue-like" games.

Seriously.

Funny you should mention that. I just got the DOS version of Larn running again, over a decade after the last time I tried it. (It's easily my favorite of the genre.) I keep getting killed via careless mistakes. But I'm getting closer...

If text adventures count, then I nominate The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
If text adventures count, then I nominate The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

What? No, i beat that, and text adventures infuriate me. It just takes some luck, and having the book handy sometimes help. But only sometimes.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Humean316:

quote:
Halo on mythic is hard
There is no mythic level on Halo, but Legendary is quite difficult, agreed. In fact, Halo 3 on legendary, and turn on all the skulls and that is nearly impossible. In fact, I would say that *is* impossible.
Collect the mythic skull These

that's what meant.

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shawshank:
Super Ghouls and Ghosts anyone?

I'm with Shawshank. That game is insanely hard, certainly the hardest game I've ever played. I'm not sure it's the hardest game ever, but most people have never "beaten" the game as even if you manage to plow your way through it you HAVE to beat the game in the correct way to earn the good ending. To do it that correct way is so hard nobody should be expected to attempt it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Caverns of Gink, perchance? Where you had to go over every inch of the platforms to change their color? I think I beat that once. (And only once.)
No, that's far more complex. Caverns had one goal: get to the other side of the screen. The three motion options were forward, back, and jump... and "back" had the little pixel-man walking backwards instead of turning around.

It was all monochromatic, and you had to jump over pits, time moving platforms, avoid flying pixelated bats, etc... you just had to make it to the other side of the screen.

This game looked amazingly simple, but the timing and precision needed, combined with the lack of user-friendly game controls, made it ridiculous. I don't know if it could be beaten, or if it just went on into eternity. I only ever got to level 8 or 9, and my friend got to level 13 once (but only once). Pretty sure it was either 1 or 3 lives, and then you had to start from the beginning.

I had to change the name of the .exe file on my computer to break my friend's addiction.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.