FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » American Chinese food (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: American Chinese food
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Every culture and style is subject to different tastes and a wide variety of individual dishes. Trying a few authentic dishes probably isn't enough exposure to dismiss an entire cuisine. If going by my grandmother's idea of every day American cooking, few would be converted. But she's quirky, thrifty to a fault, and seems to have lost most of her sense of taste and smell, so it wouldn't really be fair. She also does a few things very well, you just might not catch her on a day when she does pot roast. If you get there the day she's experimenting with garlic bologna slathered in gravy...you might get a bad impression.

Anyway, if you think authentic Mexican food is gross, you need to rent and watch "Tortilla Soup." Nothing that looks that gorgeous can be yucky. [Wink]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Anyway, if you think authentic Mexican food is gross, you need to rent and watch "Tortilla Soup." Nothing that looks that gorgeous can be yucky. [Wink]

My mom and I went to a pre-screening of that movie, with most of the actors present. They served food from it afterwards. One of the times that keeping kosher was a real test -- the food looked and smelled amazing. And all I could eat was the raw veggies!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Jhai- I had an Indian coworker who invited us all over to his mother's for dinner. At lunch time, he called his mom and said he had invited over 5 friends to prove Indian food was yummy. After work, we got our spouses and went over there. Absolutely AMAZING. I have never had anything like it. I don't care for Indian food at restaurants (it is ok, but not good enough to justify the cost of eating out). But for her food, I would be more then willing to pay for it. No clue what the dishes were (and moved away so don't see him ever), just remember it was delicious. And with only a few hours warning.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:

My mom and I went to a pre-screening of that movie, with most of the actors present. They served food from it afterwards. One of the times that keeping kosher was a real test -- the food looked and smelled amazing. And all I could eat was the raw veggies!
This is a good story, because you save yourself from the bitter envy of others by not getting to enjoy it yourself. [Smile]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried Indian food for the first time not that long ago, and I loved it. I read reviews on google to pick the restaurant and that turned out to be a good idea because of the 7 tables that were filled when I was there, 4 of them were filled with Indians. It wasn't very busy overall that night, which makes me worry that it won't last. Still, the food was perfectly scrumptious. I usually take a while to get used to new spices and things but this had lots of strong flavors all mouth-wateringly delicious.

They started me with these crispy crepes with three toppings, a chutney, some pickled carrots, and something else I forget. Then for my main dish I got tamboori chicken tikka with basmati rice. On the side came some lentil dish, and a dish called raita with yogurt, tomatoes, and cucumbers. To go with it all was this bread called nan that was similar to a soft light pizza dough. For dessert was gulab jamun, a fried cheese ball thing that was sitting in liquid sugar. It reminded me of a doughnut, sort of. It was all so good! I can't wait to eat there again.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite part of that video was when she flipped us the bird just as she was talking about the Chinese being excluded. [Smile]
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
I don't really like dumplings. I'll eat them, but they're not my favorite. But then I don't like any kind of dumplings - especially those southern things they put in Chicken & dumplings. So it's not an Asian-food thing.

Yeah, more for you.

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Who balks at dumplings???

I do. I hate them. Sorry. [Frown]
Oy, kreplach! [Wink]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:
Best Chinese food I ever ate was in Guadalajara.

one of the "trueisms" passed arround among traveling salesman in the US from the time before large national chain restaurants were common, was that if you are ever in a new town and need a place to eat that was "safe" you could always look for a Jewish restaurant. At least the kitchen would be clean. I used to hear the same thing about Chinese restaurants in Mexico. It seems like every little pueblo has one, stereotypically run by a Chinese immigrant and his Mexican wife. And usually with a big VoG in a corner with red and gilt paper decorations. In my experience they were great places to eat. And safe too.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.