FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Critic Ben Lyons gets many thumbs down

Author Topic: Critic Ben Lyons gets many thumbs down
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
The symptom or the disease?
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"It's like Johnny Carson being replaced by Dane Cook," said Childress
Or like Johnny Carson being replaced by Jay Leno.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps Lyons should be treated in the way that cancer is commonly treated. What I mean by this, is pairing him with Mario Lopez. If all goes well, Lopez will be able to take Lyons down with him, while leaving the show more or less intact.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Cancer is paired with Mario Lopez?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

It makes sense doesn't it?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
There seem to be only two types of film critics left in the world.

Fanboys - who gush and blubber over how wonderful everything is.

Whiners - who are unrelentingly negative and never said anything more intelligent that 'this sucks'.

Roger Ebert, whom I greatly respect, first and foremost loved movie. Next, he never told me what I wanted to hear, he told me what I needed to hear about a movie to make an informed decision.

I didn't alway agree with Roger Ebert, but I always respected his opinion, and his negative opinion had just as much of a change of getting me to go see a movie and as his positive opinion. Especially, if I disagreed with his negative criticism.

Ebert actually thought about movie, he thoughtg long and deep, and saw far more than just the movie.

Though I wish him a very long life, when he passes, it will be the end of an era. The end of thought, and the beginning of fanboys and whiners ruling the world. That will be a sad day indeed.

But...hey...that's just my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

So, there are two kinds of film critics in the world, for example here is someone who is neither of these things...?

I don't think it's the critics, I think it's the networks. It's cheap and easy and safe to populate your airwaves with good looking simpletons and play an endless dance remix in the background while discussing entertainment in a way that serves the media corporation, not the viewer. Since there are so many channels, and so many ways of getting access to the really relevant voices out there, of which there are really more than ever before, I don't see it as a problem.

Roger Ebert had decades to become the voice that he was in movies- so that his reputation was enough that he need never be intimidated by the networks or the studios, and in the end they had to completely divorce him from the show to get a couple of network tomato cans in place to play the media game. Maybe it takes those individuals another 20 years to stop being lapdogs for their corporate bosses or selling out with trailer quotes and one liners, but that's really just how long things that are worth watching take to develop sometimes.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The best movie reviewers working today are largely all are part of the AV Club. Their team has Nathan Rabin, Scott Tobias, and Keith Phipps under the same banner.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.