FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Another Briefing Book Idea, Freezing politician's assets.

Author Topic: Another Briefing Book Idea, Freezing politician's assets.
Brad Daniels
Member # 9862

- posted      Profile for Brad Daniels   Email Brad Daniels         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Lisa greatly approve of President Obama's idea to look at the top rated ideas in this book, just as he looks at the top ranked ideas from all his advisers.

I submitted an idea about freezing the assets of representatives to help stave off corruption.

Here is the link I hope those of you who agree will plug it, and those who think it could be improved will submit your ideas so that I can revise it.

I'm sorry I'm posting with an alias but like I mentioned in Lisa's thread, I registered with this alias on the briefing site, and this is my handle for posting helpful advice anonymously here at hatrack.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect this would be horribly ineffective.

I think you'd have to freeze their assets for life and pay an income to them until they die.

What would you do if they steered a defense contract in a perfectly legitimate manner to a certain company, and that company set them up as a lobbyist making $500K a year when they left Congress? And for that matter, I'm pretty sure that Presidents already have their assets frozen while they're in office.

In other words, I don't think this would really solve the problem. I think you'd have to increase the salaries of people in office, and that kickbacks would infinitely find their way to elected officials. Do you freeze the assets of the official's wife? Children? Siblings? Parents? It's as much about influence peddling these days as it is about money, and one can easily lead into the other.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.