FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Roland Emmerich to direct Asimov's "Foundation"...

Author Topic: Roland Emmerich to direct Asimov's "Foundation"...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Now there's a combination of names I never expected to see!

Nothing good will come from this.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
There's later Foundation books I vaguely recall where one dude gets to decide the fate of humanity's future and goes on a quest to find Earth and figure out why he picked what he did. Those have stable characters and real plots and things. If they go with that, they'd have a real movie. Emmerich would be fine with that, in my opinion.

If they mean the original three, though, I'm lost. That's not a movie. It's not even a very coherant story by any traditional measurement. It's only a classic because it somehow works despite its lack of everything it's supposed to have.

Maybe Zhang Yimou (Hero, House of Flying Daggers) could pull off the vignettes as one connected, emotional whole. Emmerich I'm not optimistic about. Much as I love Stargate and Independance Day, I don't really see those as the training grounds for this sort of plot-light experiment.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the first Foundation book would be the hardest to make into a movie. The first test will be whether they decide they want to tie everything together by putting all the vignettes in the same time period and using the same set of characters for each one. If they do that, they really have no clue what Azimov was doing.

But I have a feeling that'll be an option that - at the very least - will have some serious discussion.

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember the "I Robot" movie. Most likely this movie will be "Asimov's Foundation" in name only.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll agree, I don't see the Foundation series as making a good movie. There's some potential for the last two books in the series, but I'm questionable even on those.

Of course, if this does come to fruition, I'm going to have to watch. And then likely poke my eyes out with a hot wire.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read about this yesterday, I was surprised Puffy hadn't already made a thread about it.

I like how The AV Club put it.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nothing good will come from this.
QFT
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Woah wait, Prequel to Foundation could work, where you have Hari Seldon trying to figure out psychohistory in the first place that could work.

You could also have some Foundation-ish movies about the wars the Foundation found itself in. Could also work.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sure, give a books series that is pretty much *all* dialogue to a director that is incapable of well ... pretty much anything that is not a big budget action spectacle.

Oh well, I guess we might get some pretty pictures out of it.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
Maybe Zhang Yimou (Hero, House of Flying Daggers) could pull off the vignettes as one connected, emotional whole.

I think he's busy with the 60 year anniversary of the CCP and other various tourist attractions in China including Hangzhou and Guilin. Besides, he doesn't really do English.

If we must go Asian, then Wong Kar Wai would seem to be the obvious choice since he actually does do English language stuff and pretty much all his films deal with separate but slightly related short stories. Of course filming would take forever ... but meh. (I don't really see much of an advantage in going Asian for science fiction anyways)

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Some series really call for a miniseries at the least. You just can't do them justice in 100 minutes, even if you get a screenwriter who can get the ideas across.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

Someone on that site said they should make a movie out of "Pebble In The Sky" instead. I'm all for that idea - I think PitS would be much easier to convert into a movie.
Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Foundation- now with explosions!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't really see much of an advantage in going Asian for science fiction anyways
I wasn't thinking Asian specifically. I just really couldn't come up with anyone that I'd seen do something like that before. (I've never seen Wong Kar Wai, but he sounds interesting.)

I don't just think they picked the wrong director, I think they picked the whole wrong kind of director.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeorge:
Someone on that site said they should make a movie out of "Pebble In The Sky" instead. I'm all for that idea - I think PitS would be much easier to convert into a movie.

I agree! that book is great [Big Grin]

now that I think about it it seems made for film, ... but I guess it's not mainstream enough

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

As a kid, Pebble was my favorite Azimov book. It would be interesting to read that again now and see if I still like it so much.
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
I think The Caves of Steel could work well too.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.