FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The most disturbing cake wreck yet... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The most disturbing cake wreck yet...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously.

Still, the story she made up to go with the photo was golden. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
The funniest thing about that is that it is in the oven...completely decorated. If only cakes came out that way after only having to pour batter in a pan.
[Laugh]

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not a wreck at all.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Uch. Why would i want to eat that baby after someone put cake all over it?
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's in the oven. I'm guessing it's on storage racks at a bakery. The wires are white (I've never seen painted oven racks), and they look too thin. Also, they seem too far apart.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brinestone:
I don't think it's in the oven. I'm guessing it's on storage racks at a bakery. The wires are white (I've never seen painted oven racks), and they look too thin. Also, they seem too far apart.

Oh man, you know, I think you're right. I saw that reflection (camera?) and took it in as an oven light. *snap*
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:

Well, that answers my question about your new, very disturbing, GC avatar.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Wait, what? How come I can't see any avatars? I didnt even know this board HAD avatars!
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

This board doesn't.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
That's freaking awesome. (Would lick frosting off toys).
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
(Would lick frosting off toys).

This!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My four year old said, "Mommy, why did they put that toy baby in the cake? It is a toy baby?"

[ROFL]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't usually read the comments on Cake Wrecks, but I did - out loud - and my 22-year-old niece and 13-year-old daughter were in the room. Then they started making comments and pretty soon everything was funny.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
quote:
quote:

Wait, what? How come I can't see any avatars? I didnt even know this board HAD avatars!
http://www.galacticcactus.com/forum/index.php?showuser=8
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

lol. Gotcha.
rivka
Member # 4859

Thank you. Now I have it ad-blocked at home too. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Would lick frosting off toys)
Careful who you mention that to.

Especially around here.

::looks around nervously::

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Armoth:
Uch. Why would i want to eat that baby after someone put cake all over it?

Wait--when did you convert to Mormonism?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Are we going to have the Jews-eat-babies-too conversation AGAIN?
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Are we going to have the Jews-eat-babies-too conversation AGAIN?

Jews eat babies TOO? I didn't know another religion was accused of eating babies...
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
We certainly would never dream of offending Jews by suggesting that only Mormon's eat babies.

Jews are the original baby eaters, we are only able to feebly imitate your extraordinaryness.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Hi! Welcome to Hatrack! Where the Mormons and the Jews all eat babies, and all have horns.

But not jello "salads". We leave that to the Mormons. >_<

Noemon
Member # 1115

In all seriousness, does the "baby eating Mormon" meme exist outside of Hatrack, GC, and sake?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it exists on Entropical Island as well.
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yes.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hi! Welcome to Hatrack! Where the Mormons and the Jews all eat babies, and all have horns.

And we gladly leave all the gefulte fish to you.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:

And we gladly leave all the gefulte fish to you.
Hah! Don't knock Jewish food till you tried it...Commercialized Geflite Fish is gross. You should taste the ones my Grandma makes from scratch...
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
At least we don't eat lutefisk. We leave that to the Scandinavians and Lutherans.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I've had gefilte fish. I can believe the ones your grandmother makes from scratch are better that the commercialized ones, it would be hard for them to be any worse. The commercialized ones have a consistency that is very gelatinous, which is what prompted my response to rivka.

I should also add that my mother can make a really excellent jello salad. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
At least we don't eat lutefisk. We leave that to the Scandinavians and Lutherans.

Scandinavians? Even the Swedes and the Danes I know won't touch lutefisk. Its a Norwegian thing.
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Achilles:
I think it exists on Entropical Island as well.

Maybe, but the scoundrels who frequent that place aren't really worth counting, are they?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

They're not capable of counting.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

I'm Lutheran, and I won't eat lutefisk. Or Tuna Hot Dish ( which was served at my church just last week).
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
They're not capable of counting.

Exactly
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Lutherans have the jello salad tradition, too. I've seen lemon jello with onions and carrots in it. Bleh.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My grandma makes orange jello with carrots and pineapple. That's actually really good.

She's from Kansas. I've heard it's a midwestern thing too.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It might a descended-from-Scandinavians thing.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My grandma makes orange jello with carrots and pineapple.
Waaaait a minute!

Oh, it turns out canned (cooked) pineapple doesn't dissolve gelatin.

Carry on.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Jarred gefilte fish is an abomination before me. (But my kids like it. Go figure.) The cooked stuff, whether homemade or from the frozen loaves, is really not even comparable.

And I have tried several varieties of jello salad. This is me knocking them anyway. [Razz]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

You could have tried hundred of varieties of jello salad, without trying the better stuff made by my mom.

I've had both bottled gefilte fish and homemade stuff made by a Jewish friend (both years ago before I was diagnosed with celiac disease so I could actually eat the stuff). The homemade was definitely superior to the bottled stuff, but still not something I'd ever seek out or something I regret not being able to eat any more.

rivka
Member # 4859

While gefilte fish can contain gluten, it certainly need not do so. The stuff for Passover doesn't.

And it can be an acquired taste.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Isn't the stuff for passover made with matzo meal? All the commercial stuff is.
rivka
Member # 4859

Depends on the brand. Quite a bit of the commercial stuff is not, but if all you see is Manishewitz and Strauss, you might think otherwise.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Every recipe I've been able to find for gefilte fish uses either matzo meal, flour or bread crumbs, all of which contain gluten. What do the "gluten free" gefilte fish use instead?
Armoth
Member # 4752

I've never had a jello salad. Didn't even know that was possible...

My favorite Jew-food would probably be potatoe kuggel, or perhaps cholent, both of which are faaaar superior and probably way more common than gefilte fish.

I'd be willing to try this..."Jello Salad"...wonder where I could find some...

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I've never had a jello salad. Didn't even know that was possible...
Jello salads are not salads.
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
I'd be willing to try this..."Jello Salad"...wonder where I could find some...
Utah.

[ January 23, 2009, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what that means.

I mean, I do know what it means, but I am not sure if it is a reference, an invocation, a summoning, or a non sequitur. Probably not the last. My money is on the third.

For all the jokes about jello salads, I ate a lot more of them as a kid. I don't think I've actually had one for years. Wait - no. Never mind. There was one at Christmas that no one ate because the cook insisted on including fruit because it is more festive, but the jello-eaters (my brothers) won't eat jello if it has anything in it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Every recipe I've been able to find for gefilte fish uses either matzo meal, flour or bread crumbs, all of which contain gluten. What do the "gluten free" gefilte fish use instead?

Potato starch, presumably.

And Armoth, potato kugel is nasty. We hates it, my precious.

Cholent, OTOH, can be quite nice.

Armoth
Member # 4752

Kugel is nasty? That's insane! Rivka, you can come over for shabbos and change your mind. Bring your family, itt'l be a party.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.