FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is Dostoevsky's the Brothers karamazov supposed to be funny?

Author Topic: Is Dostoevsky's the Brothers karamazov supposed to be funny?
String
Member # 6435

- posted      Profile for String   Email String         Edit/Delete Post 
AM I the only one who reads it like a movie by the guy who did The Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore? I'm laughing, that's all I'm saying.
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is funny.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

Ok, I feel better now. It's just it's kind of an intimidating book (for me at least), and when i started laughing my face off in the first chapter, I thought something had to be wrong with me.
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, comparing it to The Royal Tenenbaums one of the highest forms of praise.

Perhaps I will read it now...

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
It's supposed to be funny. But it's not as funny as Kafka.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pegasus:
IMO, comparing it to The Royal Tenenbaums one of the highest forms of praise.

Perhaps I will read it now...

I need a list of things you like....so I can avoid them like the plague. That was one of the WORST movies I have EVER seen.

And please don't try to explain it...I got it, I just thought it was stupid, and was a complete waste of time. I get really tired of people assuming that because I don't believe the same as they do I MUST simply not understand it like they do.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

Yeah, I've been making more progress through the book, and it's really, really, good. Highly recommended.

[ January 28, 2009, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: String ]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zalmoxis:
It's supposed to be funny. But it's not as funny as Kafka.

The Metamorphosis?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
It's only funny if you are, as all fine gentlemen and ladies are, versed in the humor of the pontification involved in the hufufufufuff.....
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
String
Member # 6435

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
It's only funny if you are, as all fine gentlemen and ladies are, versed in the humor of the pontification involved in the hufufufufuff.....

I don't understand and it makes me angry!!! No, seriously though, I know I'm not discovering anything new to the world with this book, but I it's new for me, and I am loving it. As far as character driven fiction goes, Dostoevsky is unparalleled. If anyone has been curios but just to intimidated to delve in (as I was), don't be. Once you get used to the style of the dialog heavy story-telling it is worth the effort. I think I am rapidly becoming a Dostoevsky fan-boy.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a fangirl of Fyodor Mikailovich myself for several decades. Try "The Idiot" if you want more after you're done with TBK. And be sure not to miss the story (or novella) "White Nights". My last recommendation for must-read Dostoyevsky is "The Little Hero", though you may have a hard time finding that one, as it's been out of print for a while. Try online used bookstores. It's probably my favorite Dostoyevsky story of all.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Please tell me which is your favorite brother, too. I think I love Aloysha best of all, but Mitya is so passionate and true-hearted I'm rather fond of him too. Vanya is so intellectual and true to the truth as he sees it that I love him as well. My heart goes out to him. But my favorite is Aloysha. Which is yours?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I was one click away from buying a huge encyclopedia of the complete works of Dostoyevsky online once and just happened to see in the nick of time that it was completely in Russian, which I don't read. How I wish I did, though. Maybe Sasha will read original Dostoyevsky to me someday.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.