FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dreamworks Might Move to Disney

Author Topic: Dreamworks Might Move to Disney
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/06/dreamworks-in-talks-to-move-to-disney/?hp

Wow.

Would its animation division come under John Lasseter then?

quote:
DreamWorks SKG, Mr. Spielberg’s boutique production company, is in advanced talks on a deal to distribute its movies through Disney, according to four people with knowledge of the talks but who asked for anonymity because negotiations are not complete. A deal with Disney, which could come as soon as Friday, would replace one Mr. Spielberg arranged with Universal Pictures just four months ago after an acrimonious divorce from Paramount Pictures.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
All this means for me is that Prince of Egypt will officially be a Disney movie.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

That was the first movie I saw after coming home from the mission. It was perfect for the occasion.

If you believe...

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a sad reality that nobody goes to see animated films unless Disney is on the label?

I don't want that reality, but I wouldn't be surprised if it existed. [Frown]

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Earendil18:
Is it a sad reality that nobody goes to see animated films unless Disney is on the label?(

No, the negotiation is currently for distribution rights because Dreamworks split with its previous distributor, not because no one would see its animated films.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it a sad reality that nobody goes to see animated films unless Disney is on the label?

Considering that Kung Fu Panda pulled in over six hundred million dollars at the box office while Bolt has only pulled in two hundred million so far, I'd say the answer is a big honkin' "No." [Big Grin]

Then again, among people who aren't hardcore animation fans, there is sometimes found the belief that all animation is Disney.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Puffy, I think there should be a rule here that every time you link to tvtropes, you owe me fifty bucks for lost time.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it a sad reality that nobody goes to see animated films unless Pixar is on the label?

There, fixed that for you.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

I have never seen a Pixar movie in theaters. No, that's not true. I saw Nemo there, but only because I was too broke to go to the movies and my broke roommates mom bought us the tickets. I like some of the Pixar stories, and I have some DVDs but I miss the Disney 2D animations, and I wish they would find some kind of happy medium that could incorporate the best of both worlds.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
andi: Do you plan to see The Princess and the Frog this Christmas? If that film is a success, Disney will do more 2D.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
I wish they would find some kind of happy medium that could incorporate the best of both worlds.

Beauty and the Beast?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

That was my thought. Like the ballroom scene, which had to be done with a computer to produce the kind of motion they wanted.
caddisfly
Member # 11962

- posted      Profile for caddisfly           Edit/Delete Post 
*warning: This thread should be considered a "mayfly". It may be deleted at anytime so don't post anything here you'd hate to lose.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Squicky? Is that you?

Why are posting under a fake name? What's wrong with your regular screen name?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.