FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you are going to do something, do it right! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: If you are going to do something, do it right!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a right way to do something and a wrong way. Some people, by dint of a deprived upbringing, never learned the correct way to do things. As a public service, I shall try to correct this sad state.

Toilet paper is hung so that the paper rolls over the top. The only exceptions to this are in cases where there is a toddler or cat in the house who will unspool the entire roll when it is hung that way.

Right sock, left sock, right shoe, left shoe. Don't be putting on a sock and a shoe and a sock and a shoe; that's just wrong.

If you are a woman wearing a one-piece bathing suit and you find that you need to empty your bladder, leave the pool, go into the bathroom, and pull the crotch portion of your suit all the way to one side and then pee. Do not pee in the pool. Do not attempt to peel off the wet suit and then get it back on again. If you do the former, you are no longer invited over to go swimming. And if you do the latter, you will be hopping and bumping and banging around the bathroom like a pinball in a pinball machine. Have a little grace, why don't you.

If you are invited over to someone's house for dinner, and you have nasty food allergies, let your hosts know ahead of time, so that they don't feel bad about having to call 911 and resuscitate you because they didn't know you couldn't eat almonds. If you didn't say anything before, and you can't eat (or don't like) the food, quietly demur when you are served, rather than demand that they stop and cook you something else. You can always pick up a burger on your way home if you are still hungry.

If you post on Hatrack, and you disagree with someone's opinion, either keep your disagreement to yourself or else engage in polite debate. Attacking someone personally by making rude comments about their sanity or their mother's promiscuity really doesn't make you seem clever, just obnoxious.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
A toilet paper dispenser that simply sticks straight up vertically abolishes the over-the-top/out-from-under debate, as well as drastically reducing time spent replacing the toilet paper. Brilliant invention, IMO.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do not pee in the pool. Do not attempt to peel off the wet suit and then get it back on again. If you do the former, you are no longer invited over to go swimming.
Excuse me, but this begs the question, how would one actually find out you had peed in the pool?
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Can boys continue to pee in the pool? You know sometimes one ties that string around the waist a little too tightly and makes the knot too tight. When that happens you can't always untie it in time! [Wink]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
If you are a woman wearing a one-piece bathing suit and you find that you need to empty your bladder, leave the pool, go into the bathroom, and pull the crotch portion of your suit all the way to one side and then pee. Do not pee in the pool. Do not attempt to peel off the wet suit and then get it back on again. If you do the former, you are no longer invited over to go swimming. And if you do the latter, you will be hopping and bumping and banging around the bathroom like a pinball in a pinball machine. Have a little grace, why don't you.

*dies* My mom and I just had this discussion a week or two ago, and I suggested exactly what you have outlined - to pull it to the side. It really is the best way to go, as well as far more graceful and infinitely less disgusting that one of the other options.
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink*

That had never occurred to me. It is absolutely brilliant! Now I am sad that I will never have any daughters that I could teach this method to when they start swimming.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a little sister you can tell? Chances are if your mother didn't tell you, she didn't tell the little sister, either.

Unless they both knew all along and never told you. That would just be mean. And sad.

If you require comforting later because of this revelation, PM me, and I'll do what I can for you.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Can boys continue to pee in the pool?

No.

You can't even pee in this thread.

Traceria
Member # 11820

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Can boys continue to pee in the pool?

No.

Shoo...what a relief!
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you are going to do something, do it right!
Since we've started our little hobby farm, we've had so much work to do that I've had to work hard to un-learn this bit of wisdom. I have to keep telling myself "good enough is perfect" in order to get anything done.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'll bet I can.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that why every second comment in the thread is that color?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree with the toilet paper thing.
That is, when I bother hanging a toilet paper roll in the first place.

Plus there's lots of right ways to do something and quite a few wrong ways. The best way to make chocolate chip cookies is to add more vanilla, I think.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
The trick of pulling the swimsuit all the way to the side can also be handy for other occasions.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Is that why every second comment in the thread is that color?

Well that really changes my Hatrack perspective. ::shudder:: Thanks a LOT Lisa.
Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The trick of pulling the swimsuit all the way to the side can also be handy for other occasions.
*shudder* Bad memories of...chafing....
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The best way to make chocolate chip cookies is to add more vanilla, I think.
*nods* And use butter, for the love of God. (It also helps to melt the butter before adding the sugar.)
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only exceptions to this are in cases where there is a toddler or cat in the house who will unspool the entire roll when it is hung that way.
I have a cat who does this very thing! Nothing like clawed toilet paper coming out of the bathroom, down the hall, into the basement....leading right to the cat who is trying to look innocent
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/09/18/

Fourth from the top.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Liz B:
quote:
The best way to make chocolate chip cookies is to add more vanilla, I think.
*nods* And use butter, for the love of God. (It also helps to melt the butter before adding the sugar.)
Almond extract is also yummy in chocolate chip cookies. Not too much, though.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
*shudder* Bad memories of...chafing....
Indeed, I've never found it to be a suitable mode of operation.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Indeed, I've never found it to be a suitable mode of operation.
Certainly isn't ideal, but for me at least, well worth it.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Right sock, left sock, right shoe, left shoe.

I'm glad to see you follow the shulchan aruch. [Big Grin]

quote:
Don't be putting on a sock and a shoe and a sock and a shoe; that's just wrong.

Nope. It's more efficient that way.

Dana, I am stunned that a woman can reach her thirties without learning the swimsuit trick.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/09/18/

Fourth from the top.

Nice. [Smile] My cats have stolen away some actual origami pieces before. For some reason, I folded a hermit crab once, and the next thing I knew it was their favorite toy. It wasn't even sprinkled with catnip first. [Roll Eyes]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Toilet paper is hung so that the paper rolls over the top. The only exceptions to this are in cases where there is a toddler or cat in the house who will unspool the entire roll when it is hung that way.

The toilet paper rolls over the top regardless of whether the end of the roll hangs in front of or behind the roll. Which do you advocate?
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

quote:

Dana, I am stunned that a woman can reach her thirties without learning the swimsuit trick.

Prepare for another shock. I had never heard of it either. And would end up peeing on my hand.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

This is a Midwest thing, huh?

Except my mom grew up in the Midwest, and she taught it to me . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Right sock, left sock, right shoe, left shoe. Don't be putting on a sock and a shoe and a sock and a shoe; that's just wrong.

I do left sock, right sock, left shoe, right shoe.
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Prepare for another shock. I had never heard of it either. And would end up peeing on my hand.
I grew up with a pool in my backyard and never heard of this.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Genuine:
quote:

I haven't worn socks in so long, I don't remember how I used to put them on...
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Tip #1: They go on your feet. That gets me every time, especially when I'm not awake in the morning.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Genuine
Member # 11446

- posted      Profile for The Genuine           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Tip #1: They go on your feet.

Tell it to Anthony Kiedis.
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Tip #1: They go on your feet.

Tell it to Anthony Kiedis.
Have you seen RHCP lately? They're always on their feet these days.
Vyrus
Member # 10525

- posted      Profile for Vyrus   Email Vyrus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

That was my first concern when hearing of it.

Of course, the only time I wore one-suits was the age of 1-9, so this was especially true back then. [Of course, it's probably just as true now...]

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad to see you follow the shulchan aruch.

quote:

Don't forget to tie th left shoe first.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Who wears shoes with laces? [Wink]
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
quote:

The toilet paper rolls over the top regardless of whether the end of the roll hangs in front of or behind the roll. Which do you advocate?
Over the top towards you. As opposed to down the back.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, the first two things on your list (the toilet paper and the sock/shoe thing) are both things that were debated by Archie Bunker and Meathead. I'm sure you'll be happy to know that Archie took your position in both cases.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
quote:

I recommend that you do the right sock and shoe first. Don't you want to start out your day on the right foot?
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Tankinis ftw!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

No one every suggested it to me either. Of course, I figured it out on my own before I hit the age of 13.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I recommend that you do the right sock and shoe first. Don't you want to start out your day on the right foot?
How can you stand on your right foot and put the shoe on that foot at the same time?

To start standing out on the the right foot, you have to put the left shoe on first.

[ February 11, 2009, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Tankinis ftw!

QFT
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Now Tante,get real. By the time I get my old left knee bent far enough that I can reach my foot, I want to get everything done that I can. Toe spacer in, check; snagggly nails smoothed, check; support hose hoisted, check; wiggle room reestablished, check; shoe popped on, check; laces tied, and double tied, check. Then I can take a quick nap before I have to start looking for the right foot.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the occupational therapy approach.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Be nice. The guy's only got three teeth.
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, I would agree, however, if there is snow on the ground outside of the tent, and the shoes are frozen, there is merit in putting both socks on before attempting the shoes.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To start standing out on the the right foot, you have to put the left shoe on first.
It is logically impossible to put on the left shoe first.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduffer
Member # 10469

- posted      Profile for baduffer   Email baduffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I rarely wear socks or shoes for that matter. I use to subscribe to the both socks then both shoes method but I have found that since I started putting on my socks and shoes while standing there is a much more stable platform if one has a bare foot or shoe on the floor (my floors are wood and polished). So I put on one sock, then the shoe, then the other sock and shoe. My other sock rules are:

White is the only acceptable color for athletic use.
White is the only acceptable color with shorts.
Crew is the highest allowed for shorts.
Crew is the lowest allowed for long pants.
Sockless is best for shorts.

For lagniappe I offer this non-sock advice; never wear a tie with a short sleeve shirt as there is no such thing as a short sleeve dress shirt.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

When I wear socks, which has become quite rare during the past year, I put them on in my bedroom while I'm dressing.

I put on my shoes by the front door as I'm leaving the house. Only barbarians wear their outdoor shoes around the house.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.