FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spend my Audible credits!

Author Topic: Spend my Audible credits!
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Takje. I've been so busy teaching over the last few months, that three audiobook credits have accumulated on my audible account, and I haven't been doing any research into my next selection.

The last book I got was "Blink," by Malcolm Gladwell, because I enjoyed his latest book "Outliers" (yes I am aware that quotation marks are not the correct format, but whatever).

Now I could go the dull boring route as I often do and pick up a music history or philosophy or Bio title, listen to 3 hours of it and then not pick it up again for 6 months... or I could get a really good fast read and enjoy it over the weekend. What do you think? Boring route, or risky new title route? I have three credits, so your suggestions will be considered. What have you really liked off of audible this year? Having three credits, I could also throw them all in on a big collection- which is something I might consider as well.

What I like: Long, long books. I know that's weird, but I like books that span 20-40 hours of listening. I like the shorter ones as well, but if a book can stay interesting for 20 hours, you know it's good, and you get more of a chance to really enjoy it.

Comedy. I need comedy in my life right now. I would also very much like a good recommendation on economics, I am interested in 20th century history, and of course I like music titles, but not anything too elementary, like "This is your Brain on Music." It's an ok book, but I stopped listening to it because it was too simplistic, even when it was talking about things I didn't know about (I knew I wasn't getting the whole story).

Modern history books are great too- and I am interested in books from parts of the world I don't know, which is why I liked Kalid Husseinni's books recently, and would read more like them.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
The last book I got was "Blink," by Malcolm Gladwell, because I enjoyed his latest book "Outliers"

Have you read his other book, Tipping Point?
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
While not a 20-40 hour listen, it's certainly comedic in my opinion: Letters from the Earth by Mark Twain.
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Funniest Audio Books that I've heard lately:
How to Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way; Bruce Campbell
When Engulfed in Flames; David Sedaris

Best Fantasy / Adventure:
Sabriel; Garth Nix
The Golden Compass; Philip Pullman
The Graveyard Book; Neil Gaiman

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Selran:
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
The last book I got was "Blink," by Malcolm Gladwell, because I enjoyed his latest book "Outliers"

Have you read his other book, Tipping Point?
If you like the other two, you should like Tipping Point as well.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Tipping point is a better book, actually. Ori, try READING TIYBOM, it is NOT basic or simple at all. I loved it, and I have a background in both classical music AND psychology. I found it to be a great read, and it did a really good job of explaing things at a reasobale level for both laypeople AND those wiht a background in it.

I found myself wondering what if's while reading it, something that rarely ever happens to me. I wondered IF I would have been one of the researchers he spoke to and worked with over the years. If I had continued studying what I was interested in rather than bailing out to enter the Army. No one I knew even KNEW of anyone seriously studying these things when I broached the subject, and it was before the internet made things easy to research. [Frown]

I don't regret a lot of things in my life, but reading that book made me wonder about a lot of things.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
Comedy seems to be inversely related to length in audiobooks, but one long book that has some comedy to it but which is also educational and engaging is Bill Bryson's A Brief History of Nearly Everything at about 18 hours. For a long book that is great but which isn't a comedy at all, I suggest the The Company by Robert Littell at 41 hours(!).
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never read it, but Karel Capek's R.U.R. is available as an audio book. might be a good way to know the culture of your host country [Smile]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what you already have, but I'm a fan of the Hitchhiker's guide series, and I believe they have all the books (and maybe even one of the radios shows) on audible.com.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.