FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Define It - a game (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Define It - a game
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
A philosophy professor once told me that there's no such thing as a perfect definition of any word. He used "chair" as an example. I haven't thought about it much, but it seems to me that it shouldn't be too difficult to make a very good definition of a chair.

Doing a definition search on google gives me:
quote:
Chair: a seat for one person, with a support for the back.
That's a decent start, but obviously it's lacking. I'll add to that definition the requirement that the thing be man-made. So we have
quote:
Chair: a man-made seat for one person with a support for the back.
I suspect there are a fair number of non-chair items that fit that definition, though. Can anyone make it better? Anything that should be eliminated?

(If we can get a good enough definition of chair, we can move on to a more difficult word. Links to google images encouraged - I couldn't find an image of a backless chair, for instance, that didn't make me think "stool", but perhaps someone else can.)

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
One person?
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a chair?
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Theoretically, it depends on your intent for why you have the word 'chair'.

For example, technically they have pet chairs, so if you want to include that you would need to change 'person' to organism

https://www.extracomfort.co.uk/cw2/Assets/product_larger/pet-chair-tilly-biscuit.jpg

There's also the question of whether you want to describe the idea of a chair or classify real world chairs. For example, there are many stories in which aliens have chairs. Chairs made by aliens or whatnot, but chairs nonetheless. That would amend the definition of the former but not the latter. (i.e. man-made?)

Edit: Bah, too late but whatever

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

Does it have to be a living thing?
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
By perfect definition you mean describes all chairs and excludes all non-chairs?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

All right, so we have

quote:
Chair: a person-created seat for one creature with a support for the back.
Mucus, are the alien chairs you're thinking of different in form than that described above, or are they just not man-made?
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you consider a hot tub seat a chair? It has back support, and it's for one person.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I have a chair for my cell phone. So organism doesn't cut it either...
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Jhai: I was thinking not man-made, like Vulcan-made or Cylon-made. I don't know whether person really covers Cylon either, but neither do the people on BSG either [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you may have misunderstood your professor's point. A word is a concept that we apply to objects (whether they be real or theoretical). To apply to your example, each of us has our own concept that is signified by the word "chair." It varies from person to person and the word in general use has a flexibility to it that could, in a poetical application, be used to describe a group of rocks. By tacking on additional qualifiers to the definition, you begin to inch closer to defining a specific object or sub-set of objects instead of the word itself.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

scifibum, basically, yeah.

Shigosei - do you have an image? I'm not sure what you're describing? Maybe there needs to be free-standing clause?

Alcon - do you have an image? Do you really think the item you have is "chair-like" or is just called a cell-phone chair? Was it created for a cell-phone specifically?

Alcon
Member # 6645

It looks like a chair, it's called a cellphone chair and it was created for a cell-phone specifically. I'll see if I can find an image.

Linky

That's not the one I have but it's the same sort of idea.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
Chair: a person-created seat for one living creature or one non-living creature-shaped item with a support for the back.

Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:

Chair: an artificially created seat for a single living creature or single inanimate object with support for the back.

Mucus
Member # 9735

Hmmm, one other example. The Replicators on SG1 created chairs, but they're definitely not people, especially the non-human form ones.
scifibum
Member # 7625

OK, so I'm with your prof and Godric. There is no definition that is both precise and concise that encompasses all chairs and excludes all non chairs. Language doesn't have that kind of mathematical elegance.

You can approach such a definition, but by the time you do, I don't think you'll have anything functionally more useful than "Chair: a seat for one person, with a support for the back." People who understand the concept of chair will not get a better understanding from your 99% complete definition than they do from this approximation.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Chair: An object intended to be sat on.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Chair: a person-created free standing seat for one living creature or one non-living creature-shaped item with a support for the back.
It must stand on its' own. It's what in part distinguishes a chair from a seat.

An example of such a non chair

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
[quote]Chair: an artificially created seat for a single living creature or single inanimate object with support for the back.
Yeah, I fixed that as soon as the post went through. I hit submit post before I noticed it. I'm bad at editing.
Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
quote:

But that includes stools. Which I guess begs the question, is a stool a chair? Are the set of stools a subset of chairs?
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
OK, so I'm with your prof and Godric. There is no definition that is both precise and concise that encompasses all chairs and excludes all non chairs. Language doesn't have that kind of mathematical elegance.

You can approach such a definition, but by the time you do, I don't think you'll have anything functionally more useful than "Chair: a seat for one person, with a support for the back." People who understand the concept of chair will not get a better understanding from your 99% complete definition than they do from this approximation.

Although, now that I'm thinking about it, and seeing the interesting responses so far, maybe "Chair: a seat for one person or object, with a support for the back" might be a better general definition. You might arrive there by mashing up definitions 1 & 5 from Merriam-Webster.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Godric & scifibum - it's a game. I don't disagree that you can't get a perfect definition of anything. I am very interested to see how good of one we can get.
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
quote:

But that includes stools. Which I guess begs the question, is a stool a chair? Are the set of stools a subset of chairs?
But it kind of contradicts Leonide's example of a dollhouse chair which is never intended to be sat on. (Not even by a doll if you purchase it alone without any dolls)

BB: "Stand on its own" could be just as tricky a concept as "chair."

Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
Originally posted by Godric 2.0:
quote:

Although, now that I'm thinking about it, and seeing the interesting responses so far, maybe "Chair: a seat for one person or object, with a support for the back" might be a better general definition. You might arrive there by mashing up definitions 1 & 5 from Merriam-Webster.
It's still a fun game to try and come up with that precise definition. Regardless of whether or not it'd be useful.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

I would argue that an object has chair-ness through the intent you have for it, not through its physical properties. A Laz-Y-Boy hanging upside down from the ceiling as part of an art piece is not a chair. But a toadstool is, if Alice in Wonderland uses it as one.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
Godric & scifibum - it's a game. I don't disagree that you can't get a perfect definition of anything. I am very interested to see how good of one we can get.

I realize it's a game. And I'm fairly series about my submission in regards to it being as good a definition of chair you can get. But then, I guess that depends on your definition of... heh... definition. [Wink]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of a variety of ergonomically designed chairs that don't have back support.
example

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

OK, sorry. [Smile]
Jhai
Member # 5633

According to that logic, though, afr, a stool is a chair and a couch is a chair. I don't think that can be accurate. But intent as a whole might be a worthwhile concept - I'd go with the intent of the creator, though, and not the user. So a dollhouse chair is still a chair, even if you purchase it with the intent to never sit a doll in it.

Regarding "free-standing" - would a chair carved out of a rock (but still attached to the rock at the place the feet touch the ground) still be a chair? My gut is telling me yes, but my gut is also very hungry.

Jhai
Member # 5633

Rabbit, how do you sit in that?

Edit: found an image. I'd be more inclined to call that a stool.

scifibum
Member # 7625

"An artifact that is intended for one person-shaped entity to sit on, with support for the back (of a person-shaped entity), and is not an integral part of another object with an overriding artificial purpose, or any artifact which is shaped to look the same as such an artifact but is not intended for use as a seat. "
scifibum
Member # 7625

Unless we can call Rabbit's example a non-chair, she's tossed a significant wrench into the working definitions so far offered.
Leonide
Member # 4157

quote:
"An artifact that is intended for one person-shaped entity to sit on, with support for the back (of a person-shaped entity), and is not an integral part of another object with an overriding artificial purpose, or any artifact which is shaped to look the same as such an artifact but is not intended for use as a seat. "

I love it!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Mucus: Could you extrapolate? Free standing to me entails standing on it's own.

Jhai: If such a place of sitting was simply hewn out of the side of a rock I would think that it was a seat, not a chair. There might be cracks with "free-standing" but I think the fact that the person sitting must be elevated off the ground is important.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You sit on it in sort of a kneeling position with your knees on the lower cushion and your bottom on the upper cushion.

Oh, I found a picture of some one sitting on one.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Here is another really unusual chair. This type of chair is typical called a massage chair but presume that the head support has an adequate hole in it, I think it looks like it would be a great position for reading.

I always have a hard time find a comfortable reading position.

Jhai
Member # 5633

quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:
quote:

I love it!
I like it, but now I'm thinking of a seat carved out of a big boulder. I'd say it's not a chair, but it doesn't seem to be caught by any of the conditionals, since it's not an integral part of another object with an overriding artificial purpose.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Here is another really unusual chair. This type of chair is typical called a massage chair but presume that the head support has an adequate hole in it, I think it looks like it would be a great position for reading.

I always have a hard time find a comfortable reading position.

Well that example throws out most of our working definition. I don't think I have any contention that that is a chair.

As for reading positions, do you find your biggest problem is that your arms start to hurt when they are bent for long periods of time?

Jhai
Member # 5633

I really don't think the kneeling-chair is a chair; it seems much more stool like, despite its name.

The upright massage chair looks more chair like to me. Maybe we can change "back support" to "trunk support"?

advice for robots
Member # 2544

When does a dentist's chair cease to be a chair as the dentist leans you back?
Mucus
Member # 9735

I still don't like the intent clause of "or any artifact which is shaped to look the same as such an artifact but is not intended for use as a seat." If someone fashions a chair out of heroin, carefully disguised to pass a border check, its still a chair and can still be sat on if one wishes, its just one that is never intended by the creator for use.

BB:
Well, free standing is a tricky concept.

Jhai noted one complication. I can add another. Say you're on the holodeck on the Enterprise and you sit in a chair, carefully fashioned by holograms to look like a chair and using forcefields to hold up your body. Its hard to say that the chair stands on its own, it requires a constant input of energy. But for all intents and purposes it looks like a chair and serves the purpose of a chair.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
I really don't think the kneeling-chair is a chair; it seems much more stool like, despite it's name.

The upright massage chair looks more chair like to me. Maybe we can change "back support" to "trunk support"?

But don't stools offer trunk support? What if we go with, "supports both the trunk and torso?"
Jhai
Member # 5633

By trunk I secretly meant torso. Duh.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
"Any object that the designated chair-recogniser accepts as a chair. The current DCR for purposes of this thread is Jhai."
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:

Edit: found an image. I'd be more inclined to call that a stool.

You might call it a stool, but I've never seen it called that. Its sometimes called a kneeling chair or and ergonomic chair but never a stool.
scifibum
Member # 7625

"I like it, but now I'm thinking of a seat carved out of a big boulder. I'd say it's not a chair, but it doesn't seem to be caught by any of the conditionals, since it's not an integral part of another object with an overriding artificial purpose."

I'd call that a chair, in fact I was thinking of that as something I wanted to include.

Mucus, I knew that was poorly written. I am saying that objects which are not intended to be sat on by person-shaped entities, but are intended to look like chairs, and are shaped like chairs, are still chairs. This includes doll chairs and cell phone chairs, and excludes paintings of chairs.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
I still don't like the intent clause of "or any artifact which is shaped to look the same as such an artifact but is not intended for use as a seat." If someone fashions a chair out of heroin, carefully disguised to pass a border check, its still a chair and can still be sat on if one wishes, its just one that is never intended by the creator for use.

BB:
Well, free standing is a tricky concept.

Jhai noted one complication. I can add another. Say you're on the holodeck on the Enterprise and you sit in a chair, carefully fashioned by holograms to look like a chair and using forcefields to hold up your body. Its hard to say that the chair stands on its own, it requires a constant input of energy. But for all intents and purposes it looks like a chair and serves the purpose of a chair.

That would still be a holodeck chair. I think "holodeck" would be a necessary addendum when describing the chair. You could certainly call it a chair just for simplicities sake but that's no different than looking at a photograph of a chair and saying, "look a chair."
The Rabbit
Member # 671

If you want to clearly distinguish between chairs and stools there is another problem. Bar stools frequently have back rest and fit all the other aspects of the definition.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I object to all of these efforts to redefine "Chair"

Everyone knows that God created Chairs to have four legs, a seat, a back and room for ONE person.

Next thing you know you'll have love-seats, chairs for your dog, bleachers and couches.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.