FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Define It - a game (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Define It - a game
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
You might have better luck starting with a list of properties commonly found in chairs and saying "objects with a number of the properties defined above, which would not be better defined as couches or stools".
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
That would still be a holodeck chair. I think "holodeck" would be a necessary addendum when describing the chair. You could certainly call it a chair just for simplicities sake but that's no different than looking at a photograph of a chair and saying, "look a chair."

I picked the Star Trek example for a reason though. In that world, a holographic doctor is still a doctor. An artificial man (Data) still has all the rights of a normal man.

Besides, its clearly different from a photograph of a chair in that one can sit on it and all five senses could be fooled that it is a chair. In fact, if you didn't know you were in a holodeck you wouldn't hesitate to call it a chair. (In fact, one could argue its *more* of a chair than the heroin chair which would fail one notable sense)

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Does a chair have to be made of matter? Is there some reason why a series of energy forcefields that are capable of supporting a human body in a sitting position are less of a chair that a collection of pieces of matter that perform the same function.

I think the best definition of a chair would have to be based on function rather than form.

chair: Any artificial structure or subset of a larger structure which serves the primary function of providing support for both the lower and upper body of a single humanoid in a sitting position.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
revision 1:

cchair: Any artificial structure or subset of a larger structure which is capable of baring the full weight of a humanoid body and serves the primary function of providing support for both the lower and upper body of a single humanoid in a sitting position.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
What about dog & cell chairs?
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

And the heroin chair.

(But in general, I do like a functional definition better than a form definition, it seems less troublesome)

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
revision 1:

cchair: Any artificial structure or subset of a larger structure which is capable of baring the full weight of a humanoid body and serves the primary function of providing support for both the lower and upper body of a single humanoid in a sitting position.

Revision 2:

Char: Any artificial structure or subset of a larger structure which is capable of bearing the full weight of a humanoid body or any inanimate object. It must include support for both the lower and upper body of a single humanoid in a sitting position, though it does not have to be of a size and strength to support a humanoid in a sitting position.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
As for reading positions, do you find your biggest problem is that your arms start to hurt when they are bent for long periods of time?

No, my problems with reading positions are typically back and neck strain not arms.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
What about dog & cell chairs?

What is a cell chair?

Dog chair I think I understand but I'm going to ignore it since the people who use such things are typically the same people who think dogs are people too.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
]Revision 2:

Char: Any artificial structure or subset of a larger structure which is capable of bearing the full weight of a humanoid body or any inanimate object. It must include support for both the lower and upper body of a single humanoid in a sitting position, though it does not have to be of a size and strength to support a humanoid in a sitting position.

"capable of bearing the full weight of a humanoid body" and "does not have to be of the size and strength to support a humanoid" seem contradictor.

Revisions 3: Chair:

a) Any artificial structure or subset of a larger structure which is capable of bearing the full weight of a humanoid body and which includes support for both the lower and upper body of a single humanoid in a sitting position or

b) Any object which has identical form to an object that serves function A, but which is built to either large or smaller scale.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
So benches are all chairs?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:

The "single humanoid in sitting position" bit rules out benches.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Oops. We lost the "single" bit somewhere along the line.

Question: can chairs be made which are meant to be used by two people at the same time, or is it no longer a chair? What about a single item with two seats & a shared back? Is that a double chair?

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
The new working definitions aren't very exclusive.

Which I think is going to continue to be a problem if intended use is not part of the definition.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:

What do you see as the difference between a bench and a chair. If a something you call a bench has a back rest and is made to fit just one person, I can't see any difference between that and a chair.

BTW, built to scale implies all dimensions are scaled by the same factor. So for example a doll house chair that is a miniature replicate of a regular chair can be said to be built to smaller scale. If you take a chair and modify it to make it wide enough to seat 2 or 10 people, it isn't simply built to a larger scale.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

I think I see how we lost the restiction to single person. See if this fixes it

Revisions 4: Chair:

a) Any artificial structure or subset of a larger structure which is capable of bearing the full weight of a humanoid body and which serves the primary purpose of providing support for both the lower and upper body of a single humanoid in a sitting position or

b) Any object which has identical form to an object that serves function A, but which is built to either large or smaller scale.

Note: A chair doesn't cease to be a chair if two people sit on it, its just being used to fill a function other than its primary function. It would however cease to be a chair if its intended design is to hold two or more people.

Jhai
Member # 5633

What would you call something like this, then (besides fugly as all get out)?

(Here's a more artistic version)

[ February 26, 2009, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Jhai ]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
What would you call something like this, then (besides fugly as all get out)?

Two chairs welded together?

The fact that we haven't invented a single word for two chairs that are attached to each other (or 5 or 20 chairs attached to each other) doesn't mean that they aren't in a category distinctly different from individual chairs.

You have to draw a line somewhere.

Mucus
Member # 9735

Clearly whoever designed that had a run in with the heroin chair
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
(Here's a more artistic version)
More artistic perhaps but I would argue with more aesthetically pleasing.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
True, I get a little tingle from the chair that was made from Gumby that I don't get from the disembodied tongue.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
As for reading positions, do you find your biggest problem is that your arms start to hurt when they are bent for long periods of time?

No, my problems with reading positions are typically back and neck strain not arms.
I usually read lying down, so I just roll over to my stomach if my arms begin to hurt.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.