FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The NeverEnding Remake

Author Topic: The NeverEnding Remake
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Just guess which fantasy of the 80s is getting a redo. GUESS.

As someone who adores the original Michael Ende book, I could be cautiously hopeful about this. I mean, the first film had only about 30% of the book's actual content. It also did a butcher job on the character of Bastian's father. In the book he's a sympathetic, tragic figure. In the film he's an annoying flake who apparently Bastian doesn't even really care about. Ick.

Still, I get the feeling they won't get it. Not really.

(We shall not speak of the original film's atrocious sequels.)

The only good thing: Possibly, people will seek out the original book...and find out all the awesome stuff Hollywood cut. Including the actual point of the whole story.

(Hint: It's not "using your imagination is FUN!" or "Reading is GOOD!")

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I never read the original book. The movie annoyed me too much. Maybe now I'll bother.

And yes, we must not speak of the sequels. Those are in a category with Children of the Corn and Lawnmower Man.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The original book is brilliant. It's worth noting, however, that the first film adaptation essentially did the equivalent of putting the first three chapters of The Shining into a movie, or filming just the first act of Into the Woods.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Don't get me started, Tom. Ende even had his name removed from the credits of the movie, they just cut his story into such a jagged rag.

Goody Scrivener: The original book moves me to tears (the happy kind!) in several spots. It's powerful, moving, complex...definitely worth reading and rereading.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I never read the book so maybe that's why I was able to enjoy the original movie. Sounds like I should read the book.

I refuse to acknowledge the existence of sequels.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I sort of wish they would heavily promote a new edition of the book, but make a movie out of a Neverending Story-esque property that could use the exposure. Like Abadazad. Disney acquired the rights, released two books, then quietly swept it under a rug somewhere. [Frown]
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the 2nd chapter, but I'm sure if I saw the movies now, I wouldn't like 'em. [Smile]

I'm going to go pick up the book again, I don't remember much of the story.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Now, now. None of this "sequel" silliness! Next you'll try to tell us there was an el-cheap-o animated series, or a cruddy Hallmark live action series! It's just crazy talk! Pay it no mind, do you hear me? NONE! [Wall Bash]
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
The book is one of my favorite books of all time. I still re-read it regularly. Though I must say, I found out about the book by watching the movie and was a huge fan of the film growing up(still am if i'm going to be honest). While the movie only included half of the story and did some crazy stuff to stick an ending onto it, I think they did a pretty good job of adapting the first half of that book(though that could just be the overwhelming power of nostalgia talking).
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the most underrated books ever -- seems like nobody knows about it. Definitely worth a couple readings. [Smile]
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
But that is another story, and shall be told another time.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Now, now. None of this "sequel" silliness! Next you'll try to tell us there was an el-cheap-o animated series, or a cruddy Hallmark live action series! It's just crazy talk! Pay it no mind, do you hear me? NONE! [Wall Bash]

You must be crazy. None of that stuff happened. There are no sequels.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Exactly.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the movie a lot as a kid. Haven't seen it very recently except bits and pieces, but I wouldn't be surprised if I still liked it today.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to look for the book. The movie was in one of those "80s movies I've never seen" categories and when it was on TV not too long ago I decided I'd watch it. For about 15 minutes. That was really all I could take.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The book was my absolutely favorite book of all time during 4th grade. I read it two or three times that year. I haven't read it since, but I think I may within the near future now.

I was actually thinking about how much it surprised me that someone hadn't done this already. With so many fantasy properties being adapted, I expected this one to get picked up pretty quick.

Hopefully, they can be closer to the book and ditch the lame 80s synth score. I think there could be some really stunning visuals for some of the scenes in a new movie version. It could be beyond epic.

Like Puffy, I would be hesitantly excited. And begin praying that they don't screw it up.

Edit:

I still enjoy bits and pieces of the 80s film. Minus the previously mentioned lame synth score. I think some of the scenes were pretty well realized.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
The movie scared the crap out of me.......

Just knowing there is such a thing as nothing-ness and that it could slowly eat an entire world.....

It was my only nightmare for like 3 years..........

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the movie. I saw it first when I was 4, and it was one of the top two movies that shaped my childhood. I remember that I was most afraid of Morla, and would get incredibly scared when she came on. That and the bit with Artax...
I liked the second movie too, but it pales compared to the second half of the book.

I didn't know a book of it existed until middle school. I loved it too. I reread it recently, and it was still amazing.

While the movies sort of cut up Ende, I think that it was a good idea to split the book into two movies, since I see two stories and I think each one deserves its time.

We shall not speak of the cinematic disaster that is 3. I turned it off after 5 minutes. It was...unwatchable I think is too kind.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The NeverEnding Story II !=The second half of the book, true.

Other than a few character names and one or two minor plot points, they're completely different things.

The first film omitted a little bit less, but still managed to miss the points Ende was aiming for. He certainly wasn't advocating escapist fantasy as a way to run away from a widower father and get revenge on bullies.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While films like Legend, Labyrinth, and Krull jockey for position...
*** twitch! *** No... *** twitch! *** Please God, no! *** twitch! ***
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocke
Member # 11963

Puffy -
No, but that really doesn't become obvious until the second half of the book. Of course, if I remember correctly, that point was sort of missed in the second movie too.

But really, really, if you suddenly got to make a bunch of wishes, wouldn't you wish to ride on the back of Falcor and scare bullies? Maybe now not the bullies so much, but I would love to ride on the back of a luck dragon

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
This was a book? How did I miss that? Great, now it's one more book on my 'must reads for 2009'. [Roll Eyes]

Gosh, thanks guys. As if I didn't have enough to do taking care of a baby. Are you all trying to get me to neglect her and read 24 hours a day, huh? Huh!? Is that what you want?

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocke
Member # 11963

Might I suggest that you read it to her?
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Mocke:
Puffy -
No, but that really doesn't become obvious until the second half of the book. Of course, if I remember correctly, that point was sort of missed in the second movie too.

Isn't that what I just stated? [Smile]

And no, I wouldn't use my wishes that way. To use wishes for any purpose other than discerning the deepest desire of one's heart has terrible consequences in Fantastica.

(Avoiding book spoilers)

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm kidding. Whoever tries to remake Krull is either a certifiable lunatic or an absolute genius.
I actually think there's a kernel of a great story down under the layers of episodic crap that was Krull. That's exactly the sort of movie that I wouldn't mind seeing remade. Assuming it got a better story and not just updated special effects, of course.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Puffy -

Isn't that what I just stated? [Smile]

And no, I wouldn't use my wishes that way. To use wishes for any purpose other than discerning the deepest desire of one's heart has terrible consequences in Fantastica.

(Avoiding book spoilers)

HMMM...i would disagree with you Puffy. As a rational intelligent adult aware of the consequences of my actions and wishes in fantastica, I would espouse a philosophy of moderation. Similarly to how as a rational adult in the real world i may choose to responsibly engage in drinking or drug use, or to engage in activities such as bungee jumping or sky diving, or anything that some people might consider dangerous or unnecessary. If I do any of those things I do them because I feel the benefit(happiness, pleasure, life experience) I gain from them outweighs their danger. This is all to say that if I had the ability to make wishes in fantastica knowing the dangers associated with said wishes, I'd most certainly have a bit of fun! Of course I'd be doing this while being conscious of my overall goal and my ability to accomplish it, but i'd be remiss if I didn't take advantage of certain opportunities provided to me by the magical properties of fantastica and Auryn.

man, i can't believe i just analyzed what my actions would be if I were to ever be in fantastica!

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Might I suggest that you read it to her?

At 7 months, I will admit that I have been reading to her, although I may stop for a couple of months and try it again later the actual books and switch to the soft-covered books. It hacks her off too much! She gets really, really mad because I won't let her eat the pages. [Roll Eyes] At least with the soft-covered books she can eat the pages to her hearts content!

Either way, though, I'll be checking the book form of Neverending Story out for myself.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
The Neverending Story is a fantastic movie! And I first saw it in college.

I also think it's a pretty good candidate for a remake, because while it is really quite good, it is also extremely dated - both by the music and by the fakeness of the puppetry. I don't think younger audiences who have grown up used to a different style would be able to appreciate it. That's not to say the remake will be good, but its worth a try.

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
quote:
I'm kidding. Whoever tries to remake Krull is either a certifiable lunatic or an absolute genius.
I actually think there's a kernel of a great story down under the layers of episodic crap that was Krull. That's exactly the sort of movie that I wouldn't mind seeing remade. Assuming it got a better story and not just updated special effects, of course.
Heathen.... Krull was AWESOME! I must have seen it fifty times on cable in my childhood!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocke
Member # 11963

Puffy -
Maybe, but I remember his first wish in the book was rather selfish, I imagine chasing down bullies is about as selfish, right?

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Puffy -
Maybe, but I remember his first wish in the book was rather selfish, I imagine chasing down bullies is about as selfish, right?

Bastian's desire to speak to the Childlike Empress face to face instead of floating in a nondescript darkness was "rather selfish"? [Smile]

I don't know...I would consider that to be a reasonable, practical sort of wish.

Mocke
Member # 11963

Blergh, wrong first wish, sorry. After that. Maybe the second or third wish down. Where he wishes to look different.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.