FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » PSA: College Students applying for financial aid for 09-10 - now with 10-11 question! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: PSA: College Students applying for financial aid for 09-10 - now with 10-11 question!
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Combined we are at about 20k. I don't regret that too much actually. My husband makes 25k a year more now that he did the masters (where most of the loans came from) so while it will take more than that year to pay that off, it was worth it for us.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
Combined we are at about 20k.

That's very good. General rule of thumb: if you have a loan total that is less than one year's starting salary in your field, you're probably fine.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
You do realize that your subsidized Stafford will have interest for most of the loan's lifetime, right? (Technically, it has interest now. You're just not the one paying it.)

Yeah, I know. I've actually already started paying them off because, like I said, interest is evil, and I do not want to pay it. I doubt I'll be all the way done by the time I graduate, but there's a possibility.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
I've actually already started paying them off

Excellent! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray! I will be in school this semester...with no loans! Some money has come available....I am a very happy person. [Big Grin]

Now I have preliminary assignments to do....I need to get busy!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great. It would have been a shame to have to stop when you were so close to done.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
Hooray! I will be in school this semester...with no loans! Some money has come available....I am a very happy person. [Big Grin]

Now I have preliminary assignments to do....I need to get busy!

[The Wave] [Party]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I went today to turn in paperwork for my tuition stipend. I met with my professor and advisor and she introduced me to someone else who may be able to help me network for a job.

I love having wonderful people on my side.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I'm so glad that things are looking up. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.