FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Best Movies That Nobody Saw....

Author Topic: The Best Movies That Nobody Saw....
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the movie Baraka on Blu-Ray, and I thought that I'd throw out a list of some of the best obscure movies that aren't well known (and maybe pick a few gems off someone else). All of these movies are truly fantastic (in my > humble opinion).

In no particular order:

The Fall: Lee Pace in one of the most beautiful movies ever.

Baraka: The most beautiful movie ever (out on Blu-Ray)

Wonder Boys: Michael Douglas's best (other than American President).

My Life as a House: Fantastic emotional bonding movie.

Primer: The "thinkiest" movie on my list.

The Science of Sleep: The most bizarre foreign movie on my list.

Death at a Funeral: Good English comedy.

Repo: The Genetic Opera: Best Musical ever.

The Jacket: The OTHER great time travel movie.

Party Monster: AKA Disco Bloodbath

Igby Goes Down: Salinger for the new generation.

Pirates of the Great Salt Lake: SUPER great local indy flick.

The Gamers / The Gamers 2: Best RPG related movies ever made.

Any other good ones that I missed????

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Igby Goes Down was a weird movie, IMO.

My sister went to school with the guys who made The Gamers and its sequel. I got to meet them at her graduation. This was before the Gamers was produced, but after their oh-so-successful debut project of "Demonhunters". Ahhhh good times.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Henry Fool
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Soylent Green. One of my all time favorites.

The Fall. I can't stop watching it.

Let the Right One In. Comes out tomorrow!

The Brother From Another Planet. You can't do any better with no budget.

Perfume: the Story of a Murderer. Violent, and Beautiful, and it's not the violence that's beautiful, it's the aromas.

Bus 174. One of the most well-done documentaries I've ever seen.

Master of the Flying Guillotine. You'll never have to watch a kung-fu with a blind old man who can sense you with his eyebrows again.

Ikiru (To Live) - Arguably Akira Kurosawa's best.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
How obscure does it need to be?

Dark City

Pi

Memento

Igby goes down (seconding that)

Arlington Road

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Law 3 (ok, thats not fair. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpb044C6OY they screwed up some of the physics but I loved it)

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Death at a Funeral: Good English comedy.
Actually, I think this is a terrific example of a Good English Comedy trying desperately to cash in on Cheap American Laughs. I was severely disappointed.

However, I do enjoy:

Happy Accidents

Before Sunrise

Before Sunset

Noises Off!

Primer

et. al.

So many of the movies I love are obscurish [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to see The Fall.

Oh, Noises Off was great - and nobody ever did see it!

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
To start my seconds or thirds:
My Life as a House
Primer
The Science of Sleep
Death at a Funeral, although I argue that more than a few people know this one

In Addition: (I'd like to add that these may not be as obscure as I think, but that's only becuase I'm the only moviephile in my circle)

-The Station Agent
-The Diner
-Liberty Heights
-Basquiat
-Miller's Crossing, a cohen I know but most haven't heard of this one.
-The Squid and the Whale
-Smart People
-Savages
-Death Defying Acts
-Proof
-Whitnail and I

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Titanic
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that I've spoken to anyone outside of my family who has seen Barry Lyndon; which amazes me. It got 11 academy award nominations of which it one 4. It is considered by many (including me [Smile] ) to be one the most beautiful movies ever made; and yet no one I know has seen it! I'm sure there's a decent number of people here have seen it: maybe it's my generation or something but quite disappointing. I saw The Fall in theaters and thought it was gorgeous though I could never get engaged in any part of the film besides the visuals. I bring this up because even after all that I still think Barry Lyndon is more visually stunning.

I love Reggio's and Glass's Qatsi series: Koyanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi and Naqoyqatsi. The last one I thought wasn't as good, and I recognize that even saying I like them normally comes across as pretentious to the small number of people that have even heard of the films but... I do like them!

Pi isn't incredibly obscure, but I don't know many that have seen this either. I really enjoy this movie, and it provoked a lot of thought as well as being cinematically interesting (very impressive for a film shot on this kind of budget).

I also like Dark City Paul, though I don't know how obscure it is. I've actually been meaning to watch that for a few weeks... Same goes for Memento

Primer: good times! A lot of fun, though I should watch it again to see how well it holds up under repeat viewings.

Really anything by Errol Morris. The Fog of War was fantastic but is decently well known (for a documentary anyways). However, he's made some other pretty good ones (The Thin Blue Line, Mr. Death, etc...)

It's not a movie but Fawlty Towers is far funnier than the Monty Python series (I think , and I own the complete set of both) and yet I've heard mountains about the latter and nothing from anyone else about the former.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Twilight Samurai.

One of the few movies I own, because keeping it out indefinitely on Netflix so I could show it to everyone I knew was an inefficient use of my queue.

Sweet, touching, wistful, and an astonishing level of historical accuracy (albeit with some rather modernized views of gender relations).

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

The Myth: One of Jackie Chan's better efforts. My kids LOVE it.
Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

Maybe Baby: Hugh Laurie (House) and Joely Richardson (Nip/Tuck) in a fantastically sad movie. Good cameo by Rowan Atkinson.
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread gave me the nudge to watch The Fall, and wow, it was good. Thanks, White Whale! I'm heading to Barnes & Noble to buy the DVD tonight!
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
The Way of the Gun.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trip9
Member # 8498

- posted      Profile for trip9   Email trip9         Edit/Delete Post 
Not super unkown, but I think they qualify:

-Sunshine, directed by Danny Boyle. Probably my favorite "space mission" movie. A lot of people have issues with the final act, but I loved it.

-Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, with Robert Downey Jr. A hilarious and intelligent comedy that nobody seems to have seen.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely loved Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. I didn't want to see it, but one of my best friends made me, and I'm sooo glad she twisted my arm into that one. Sunshine left me with a semi-permanent look of shock and horror on my face because that was not at ALL what I was expecting to see.

Noemon -

Too on the nose I think. [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's a TV series and not a Movie. But, I find myself replaying Victory at Sea more than anything on the shelf. I think I play if for the music, Richard Rodgers, arranged by Robert Bennett. Haw anyone else here ever seen/heard it
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vyrus
Member # 10525

- posted      Profile for Vyrus   Email Vyrus         Edit/Delete Post 
Oldboy-really quite beautiful, despite the really disturbing scenes.

I haven't seen most of these movies.

The other ones I've always loved are cult flicks, so I'll assume you've seen them before.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
This thread gave me the nudge to watch The Fall, and wow, it was good. Thanks, White Whale! I'm heading to Barnes & Noble to buy the DVD tonight!

[Big Grin]

quote:
Sunshine, directed by Danny Boyle. Probably my favorite "space mission" movie. A lot of people have issues with the final act, but I loved it.
The movie was pretty darn good, up until the ridiculous ending.

I just grabbed a boxed set of Werner Herzog movies (to go with my other set. Now I have 12 of his!), and wow some of them are good. If you haven't seen these, I'd recommend them if just to see what a Herzog movie is:

Fitzcarraldo, the story is good, but the fact that this movie is real is even better. Also, one of the best songs from The Frames was inspired by this and shares it's title.

Aguirre, Wrath of God - Klaus Kinski is beyond description.

Wild Blue Yonder - Brad Dourif is haunting, and the story (although science fiction) is awesome.

Encounters at the End of the World - No one else but Herzog could pull this off.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Bulletproof Heart: smart, wry, witty, and thoughtful without pendantry

---

Added: 75% fresh at rotten tomatoes. From Ebert:

quote:
The long night moves on, with Archie providing the comic counterpoint. At one point, they end up in a cemetery, eating Chinese takeout food. They talk in that way two strangers can, when they know they will never see each other again. What is strange is why they will never see each other again.

At the end, when they come to the moment of truth, we think we know what the alternatives are. But we are surprised by the form the truth takes - how, and why. The movie is thoughtful, surprising and haunting.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clive Candy
Member # 11977

- posted      Profile for Clive Candy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ambyr:
Twilight Samurai.

One of the few movies I own, because keeping it out indefinitely on Netflix so I could show it to everyone I knew was an inefficient use of my queue.

Sweet, touching, wistful, and an astonishing level of historical accuracy (albeit with some rather modernized views of gender relations).

Seconded. An absolute surprise that one was...it's the Samurai "Unforgiven."
Posts: 532 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beleaguered
Member # 11983

- posted      Profile for beleaguered           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here's my list of totally unrelated yet brilliant movies (in their own way) that aren't well known:

Equilibrium
Boondock Saints
Life is Beautiful
Children of Heaven
Run Lola Run

Edit Post: I had to include Run Lola Run, after I got to thinking.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
The Futurama movies, except the latest.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Rubin and Ed, written and directed by Trent Harris.

Probably the oddest and most funny movie I've ever seen.

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

The Commitments: good music, great story, unforgettable characters

92% fresh at rotten tomatoes. From Ebert:

quote:
Alan Parker's "The Commitments" is a loud, rollicking, comic extravaganza about a rock band from the poorest precincts of North Dublin that decides to play soul music. ... Rabbitte's logic is persuasive: "The Irish are the blacks of Europe. Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. North Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin." The movie is based on a novel by Roddy Doyle, a North Dublin school teacher, but it is founded on charm. Parker introduces a Dickensian gallery of characters, throws them all into the pot, keeps them talking, and makes them sing a lot. ... "The Commitments" is one of the few movies about a fictional band that's able to convince us the band is real and actually plays together.
---
Added:

Billy Elliot: makes you believe in a young British lad from a coal mining town who wants to dance classical ballet (and all of the expected trials and tribulations that go with that dream)

85% fresh at rotten tomatoes. From Ebert:

quote:
The movie takes place in a British coal mining town, where Billy (Jamie Bell) trudges off to boxing lessons for which he is ill-equipped. Life at home is tense because his father (Gary Lewis) and brother Tony (Jamie Draven) are striking miners. One day, at the other end of the village hall, he sees ballet lessons being taught by a chain-smoking disciplinarian (Julie Walters), and his eyes grow large. Soon he is shyly joining her class, the only boy in a crowd of tutus.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Here's a consolidated list, as best I can do from above. If I missed something or there is an error, please repost an edited copy yourself or just add corrections in the thread below (i.e., it would drive me nuts to have to keep re-editing myself, so please don't ask. [Smile] ).

Aguirre, Wrath of God
Arlington Road
Baraka
Barry Lyndon
Basquiat
Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Billy Elliot
Boondock Saints
The Brother From Another Planet
Bulletproof Heart:
Bus 174
Children of Heaven
The Commitments
Dark City
Death at a Funeral
Death Defying Acts
The Diner
Encounters at the End of the World
Equilibrium
The Fall
Fawlty Towers
(television)
Fitzcarraldo
The Fog of War
The Futurama movies
, except the latest
The Gamers / The Gamers 2
Happy Accidents
Henry Fool
Ikiru (To Live)
The Jacket
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang
Law 3
Let the Right One In
Liberty Heights
Life is Beautiful
Master of the Flying Guillotine
Maybe Baby
Memento
Miller's Crossing
Mr. Death
My Life as a House
The Myth
Noises Off!
Oldboy
Party Monster
Perfume: the Story of a Murderer
Pi
Pirates of the Great Salt Lake
Proof
Qatsi
series: Koyanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi and Naqoyqatsi
Repo: The Genetic Opera
Rubin and Ed
Run Lola Run
Savages
The Science of Sleep
Smart People
Soylent Green
The Squid and the Whale
The Station Agent.
Sunshine
The Thin Blue Line
Titanic
(please direct your tomatoes at Noemon)
Twilight Samurai
Victory at Sea
The Way of the Gun
Whitnail and I
Wild Blue Yonder
Wonder Boys

martha
Member # 141

- posted      Profile for martha           Edit/Delete Post 
The two movies I always ask for when I'm deciding whether a video store is worth belonging to are:

The Navigator (no, not Flight of &c.)
The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T

...and another obscure favorite:

Drowning by Numbers

Posts: 1785 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T completely freaked me out when I saw it when I was a little kid. Not many movies have ever done that, even when I was young.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Undercover Blues
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
The other Sunshine, from 1999.

I'll second:

The Navigator
Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
The Squid and the Whale
Baraka

Edit:

I'll add one more that just came to mind:
Federal Hill

[ March 16, 2009, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if they're really "off the beaten Path", but two of my favorite are "Dragonheart" and "October Sky".

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead is a movie from my high school days. We spent months replaying jokes from it. Anyone want to play questions?

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't that derail the thread?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

How do you play?
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Boondock Saints isn't well known? I always kind of assume that if I've seen a movie(I rarely, if ever, watch movies- maybe 3 or 4 a year), it's well known. Huh.

No one around here seems to remember Fern Gully and The Last Unicorn.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
"Positive?" "Only fools are positive." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive."
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

quote:
Originally posted by Tinros:

No one around here seems to remember Fern Gully and The Last Unicorn.

Well hell, if we're including animated features this thread is going to need some more space. Additionally, I would think those two would be more in the category "Remember those movies we watched when we were younger?" I think we all saw them. All being a gross exaggeration, but you get my point.
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I remember Fern Gully. I've been trying to forget it, thankyouverymuch.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.