FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » oh no the gays are winning

Author Topic: oh no the gays are winning
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/marriage

OH NO THEY REDEFINED MARRIAGE

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
*Chortle*
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
*waits for all opposite sex marriages to fall apart and for people to start marrying farm animals*
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Only farm animals? Marriage rights for wild animals!
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
ACTIVIST LEXICOGRAPHERS
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Samprimary: You aren't doing anybody any favors when you act this way, certainly not homosexuals.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
What a fresh and original subject! What a thought-provoking intelligent approach! This is definitely worth putting puppet strings on that dead horse.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit, I got a chuckle out of this thread. Especially the 'Activist Lexicographers' jab. Nice... [Smile]

EDIT: SPELLING.

[ March 19, 2009, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Tstorm ]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, this is definitely an in-joke for those of us who go "Duh, yes! Of course, gay marriage should be allowed! Why is this even a question?" It's obviously not intended to change any minds or even engage those that disagree.

That said, it's pretty amusing for those of us in that in crowd [Wink]

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow...somehow I don't think this is a serious debate
Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
What a fresh and original subject! What a thought-provoking intelligent approach! This is definitely worth putting puppet strings on that dead horse.

Since when do we have a dead horse marionette? I thought it was a more of a pinata thing, I already got this real nice stick and stuff.....
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, I'm really disappointed in you. The title of this thread should have been more like "oh noes!!! teh gays are winning!!!"

[ March 18, 2009, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
It's not over until the OED speaks.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I found it amusing. So much for that whole debate about redefining marriage if someone just goes ahead and literally does it [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, churches are going to have to start publishing their own dictionaries now. [Frown]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Man, churches are going to have to start publishing their own dictionaries now. [Frown]

Oooo, new potential for entertainment!

I look forward to reading the King James Dictionary.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

You know, Noah Webster was a devout Christian. He even published his own revision of the King James Bible.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Next thing you know, the government will demand that churches all mention this in opposite-sex marriage ceremonies.

Hell in a handbasket!

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Dictionary.com disagrees
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Not on all of the definitions listed it doesn't. Some of them specifically single out the differences in same-sex marriages, such as legal implications, but they give them status. A couple ignore it entirely.

Both Random House and the American Heritage Dictionary include it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dictionary.com disagrees
Did you miss definition 4?

quote:
a relationship in which two people have pledged themselves to each other in the manner of a husband and wife, without legal sanction: trial marriage; homosexual marriage.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
The only aspect that the government recognizes about "marriage" is the civil union aspect.

You can have the biggest marriage in the biggest church and it means nothing till you sign that marriage certificate.

So we need the state to call all marriages for what they are: civil unions. If the religious folks want to keep their marriage ceremonies and titles to only certain people, let them. But churches should not and cannot stop legal contracts.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beleaguered
Member # 11983

- posted      Profile for beleaguered           Edit/Delete Post 
  • --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I found it amusing. So much for that whole debate about redefining marriage if someone just goes ahead and literally does it
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No kidding! I'm looking at the definition of Marriage in a Scott, Foresman dictionary, with the latest copyright date of 1988 (I know, a bit out of date) and here is their entire definitions for Marriage and Married:

• Marriage 1. Living together as husband and wife; married life; wedlock. 2. condition of being a husband or wife. 3. act or ceremony of being married; a marrying. See synonym study below. 4 A close union.

Syn. 3 marriage, matrimony, wedding mean the act of marrying. Marriage emphasizes the legal union of a man and woman: The marriage took place on June 26, 1970. Matrimony applies especially to the spiritual or religious bond established by the union: They were wedded in holy matrimony. Wedding is the common word for the ceremony or celebration: It was a beautiful wedding.

Married 1. living together as husband and wife. 2. having a husband or wife. 3. of marriage; of husbands and wives. 4. closely united.

Just thought I'd let you know

Posts: 135 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And the whole world has to answer right back, just to tell you once again, who's bad
Remember when Webster's defined bad as "good" back in the late 80s. That was so bad!

Hey, it's still there! Bad!
quote:
10 bad·der bad·dest slang a: good , great b: tough , mean

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
These definitions seem to agree that you don't need government recognition of your marriage in order for gay couples to be in a "marriage". That would seem to undermine the major argument by SSM proponents that gay couples are being deprived of the right to marry whom they want if the government doesn't recognize SSM.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
This is mostly a semantic argument anyway, as Telp has pointed out.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

sssshh. there there.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, sarcasm followed by condescension a winning combination!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
:whinnies:

:well, coughs:

"Look, Wilbur! I'm still alive..."

I can smell your brain--

"CARROTS! I mean, carrots. I can smell your carrots."

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by adenam:
It's not over until the OED speaks.

You may well be right.

quote:
Hmm, sarcasm followed by condescension a winning combination!
Let's not forget how much I am not helping teh gays.

[ March 19, 2009, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Samprimary ]

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, you resurrected not just a dead horse, but a dead ZOMBIE horse.

A talking dead zombie horse.

No one is going to thank you for initiating the apocalypse.

Dope.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

One day in and this has already been taken way more seriously than I hoped it would.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2208739/posts

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=91995

quote:
One commenter on the YouTube site said it’s just part of the campaign by homosexual activists to take control of the definition of the word and make it align with their goals.
nuu ;_;
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

quote:
One commenter on the YouTube site said it’s just part of the campaign by homosexual activists to take control of the definition of the word and make it align with their goals.
nuu ;_;
I love finding out that we have so much power.

I'll inform the others in the atheist cabal that our homosexual powers are rising as well.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never actually read worldnetdaily before, so taking a look I'll note that despite the name it has surprisingly little world news.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
*pouts at not being on the mailing list*
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's not over until the OED speaks
[ROFL]

So far the OED makes no mention of SSM. The only distinction they make is between civil marriage and marriage. The definition of civil marriage is left open for interpretation.

I shall be biting my fingernails in anticipation...provided OED even cares about the issue.

Marriage

Civil marriage

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.