FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What would you do? Ebay question.

Author Topic: What would you do? Ebay question.
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
So I bought a dvd on Ebay. I did not notice until afterwards that the seller only accepts check or money order, no Paypal. It has been a VERY long time since I did not use Paypal when buying on Ebay. No big deal, I just have to write a check and stick it in the mail. Considering how long I have already watched Netflix movies sitting around sometimes, this may indeed be a problem.

A week passes by. I just don't put things in the mail anymore. I still have my father's birthday card sitting on my counter. His birthday was a month ago. I use the internet for ALL of my bills.

I bet you thought the seller was starting to complain about not getting a payment weren't you? Not quite. Yesterday I got an email stating that payment was received. Today I got an email saying that the item was shipped. I am going to leave some EXCELLENT feedback for this guy. Should I send a check anyways?

By the way, I was trying to search for an old post about funny Ebay feedbacks. Chris had some hilarious ones in there. Can anyone locate it? I am no good with the search on this forum.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Would I pay for the item I had bought?

Is this a serious question?

Of course I would.

Also, does your bank not have free online billpay? That's how I send out 99% of checks.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I would e-mail the seller and tell them what happened. Then mail the check.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

Of course I would.

Also, does your bank not have free online billpay? That's how I send out 99% of checks.

I didn't think about doing that for an ebay payment. I guess I would be worried the person might have a hard time figuring out what the check was for, and which auction.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Of course I would.

The question is actually "Would I pay for the item I had bought, if I could get away with not paying?"
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a slightly tougher (IMO) dilemma.

You're at dinner with friends, and one of them bought an "all you can eat" deal, while the rest of the table ordered discrete amounts of food. Mr. All You Can Eat keeps offering to share with others at the table. One or two people accept a small portion.

Do you speak up?

Oh, Mr. All You Can Eat is your immediate boss.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
By the way, I was trying to search for an old post about funny Ebay feedbacks. Chris had some hilarious ones in there. Can anyone locate it? I am no good with the search on this forum.

I think you're looking for this.

(As for the main question, what Rivka et al. said.)

Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

I'm doing the right thing. I contacted the seller.

As for the all you can eat meal? That probably would not bother me, other than thinking my boss was cheap. There is an Italian restaurant I take my wife to, that has a great lunch buffet. I get the buffet, and my wife gets a regular meal. I always sneak her some of the garlic bread and a few bites of salald.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're at dinner with friends, and one of them bought an "all you can eat" deal, while the rest of the table ordered discrete amounts of food. Mr. All You Can Eat keeps offering to share with others at the table. One or two people accept a small portion.

Do you speak up?

I would say no. I would feel uncomfortable accepting the food myself in most cases*** but I don't think that situation is dire enough to try to change acquaintances' moral choices.

***If I was thinking about ordering something my boss was offering and was using the sample to decide I would find that acceptable.

quote:
I'm doing the right thing. I contacted the seller.
Go Stephan! [Cool]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I got an email stating that payment was received. Today I got an email saying that the item was shipped. I am going to leave some EXCELLENT feedback for this guy. Should I send a check anyways?

I definitely would; I am obligated to pay for stuff I buy. Even if I got away without paying, it would still be theft. I try not to be a thief.

quote:

Do you speak up?

I wouldn't. It really isn't my obligation to police the table. If I was strongly pressed, and my "No thank you" was unheeded, I might say "I wouldn't feel right about it." If I were the waitress, though, I'd tell my manager about it. Then it would be my obligation to police the table.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:

I didn't think about doing that for an ebay payment. I guess I would be worried the person might have a hard time figuring out what the check was for, and which auction.
I would use the memo line.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I would use the memo line.
You think of everything!

But seriously, it wouldn't even occur to me not to pay for it. Like Tante, I generally try to avoid thieving. And like rivka, I'd send the check through online banking. And like Stephan, I'd be all too likely to space off sending the check for a little while.

With the "all you can eat" scenario, I'd probably give my boss a little hell for being a cheapskate, but my work environment is pretty informal. I have given my boss hell for being a cheapskate when he gave a waitress who'd provided us with excellent service at 10% tip (with the result that he left her a 20% tip instead).

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

In the "all you can eat" scenario, if I were offered a taste of something from the plate of a friend who'd gotten the buffet when I hadn't, I wouldn't feel about about taking it. I wouldn't be willing to have more than a taste, but a single, small bite? I wouldn't feel any guilt, doing that.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

With buffets it would be one thing if I ordered a small salad and dug in to whoever got the buffet. That is wrong.

It is another thing for me to pay for a full priced entree and have a few bites of someone's buffet.

Stephan
Member # 7549

I'm paying for it anyways, but I was recently told that Ebay now has a rule that all sellers must accept some form of electronic payment. Is that true?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Accepted Payments Policy
Note there is a list of exceptions further down.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
You think of everything!

You know that saying about good judgment being the result of learning from your mistakes, and mistakes being the result of bad judgment? It's like that.
Noemon
Member # 1115

That's the truth. It's interesting to think about all of the things that are so obvious to me now as to seem almost instinctual, and realize that they're almost all nuggets of wisdom that at some point I didn't know, and that probably tripped me up.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read a story about how a woman got caught for arson because she was identified as the lady who bought 70 cents worth of gasoline a few minutes before the fire started.

I realized I would never be cut out to get away with arson, because it would not have occurred to me that a small purchase of gasoline would be an investigative lead. I'm sure there are dozens of other investigative techniques that I'd never anticipate and forestall.

I wonder how many non-criminal activity-related insights I have yet to gain. [Smile]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you had to use paypal or a similar service on ebay now, that's why I stopped using ebay. Must have missed something.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I still have my father's birthday card sitting on my counter.
Aside from the whole theft thing, this bothers me. Please, just send it. You should be feeling bad about this.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Don't forget the excellent suggestions Hatrackers made in response.

And I would pay. Recently I sold my Palm TX and sent the winner an e-mail with instruction on setting up some of the trickier parts of it, stuff I had had to hunt for. We ended up exchanging e-mails and a few phone calls to get him past setting it up and syncing it the first time.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.