FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Chuck (The TV show, not the Norris) (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Chuck (The TV show, not the Norris)
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... seems to me this is a sort of weird thread for you to be following. The Intersect is a computer containing all information in the CIA and NSA databases designed to be downloaded into a human brain via subliminal messaging.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, until Chevy Chase emerged from the rubble in the end, I could have been happy with that as the end of the series. I hope they don't over-reach themselves.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's how I felt. I'm gonna treat this as my own personal canon if it turns out to be a Shark-Jumping moment
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so upset about that last episode. Mad at Dad, beyond mad at Morgan and yet also proud of Morgan, fairly well cheesed off at Casey, annoyed with Chevy Chase, but ooh yay Devon.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if anyone just watched the finale, but it was pretty awesome (to use the appropriate word...). [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I thought it was generally good, but I don't think they made the right choice for the new Intersect's abilities. I like that Chuck got an upgrade, but I think that upgrade should have increased his mental capabilities, not given him super physical ones. I think it'll ruin the dynamic of the show for Chuck to be the smart one AND the physically capable one.

A better intersect would have been something like River Tam's brain (if you don't know who River Tam is, shame on you. Go watch Firefly. Right now. Shoo). She does have good martial skills, but those came from extreme physical conditioning. Her primary abilities are mental - calculating the angle to fire the gun and such. Having the intersect be a "superbrain" could also give him the appearance of psychic powers by analyzing facial expressions and what-not. I think that would have let use keep the essence of "Chuck" while still letting him feel a lot more badass.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there will be a whole lot more to the new dynamic than just making him SuperChuck. It's too easy for him to have Sarah and Casey's martial skill and his own technical skill. I think there will be limits and flaws.

And to echo Carrie - AWESOME!!!

That episode had more pure awesome injected into it than any season finale I've seen in awhile.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

...did you see either the Heroes or Terminator season finales? I've actually been very impressed with season finales as a whole this year.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I missed Heroes, but I'll try to catch it on Hulu in a few days.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

As for rules - that's what I'd go for, except that they already demonstrated ninja skills being used immediately when they were needed, without much biological consequence. (If they DID have him actually break his back and muscles from letting the system control him like that, I'd be impressed)

Also, I'm tickled by the fact that Chuck could very well be the "prequel" to Dollhouse.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this could be an interesting twist on Chuck. He's been smart, now he can defend himself, but the idea that this will serve as a replacement for spy school is laughable. He still thinks like an Average Joe, and that's something only training or experience will fix.

I could laugh at a season or two of Chuck crouching and covering his ears while the guns are being fired and then turn around and go all Matrix on the guy sneaking up on them. Then freak out some more becuase he killed the guy.

I would like to see them delve into that. How much does it wear on you mentally to not be prepared for your physical capabilities? That's got to be stressful.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
While I'm glad that he's now able to defend himself physically, I felt it was a cop out. He simply doens't have the body/strength/conditioning/flexibility/muscle memory to be able to throw those moves. Of course... neither does Sarah, but we can at least pretend she's been trained for her entire career.

I stand by my prior post in which I said I feel like he should have been in martial arts and gun training in order to be able to defend himself from the very 1st minute that it was known that he was the Intersect. Having Intersect 2.0 just give it to him..... I'm glad he can do it, but I wish he'd done it "right" if that makes sense.

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Thought:

So far we've seen that some people have a better ability to deal with and assimilate the subliminal messaging necessary for the Intersect to work. It's also suggested this is genetic - Chuck is Orion's son and all. So it's likely that Elly would also be a good candidate to process Intersect technology. I don't expect that to happen in the immediate future but I think could make for a fun and interesting plot in Season 4 or something, if they ever get that far.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy that Chuck is once again the Intersect. I find it interesting, although somehow unsurprising, that Steve tested it out on himself. It might help explain why he went into hiding. I'm intrigued at the changes made to the system that allow Chuck to be proficient in kung fu at a vital moment.

I love that Ellie got her dream wedding after all. Yay for shutting down the Senior Awesomes. Too bad it took completely destroying the facility and all that hard work to set up in order to make it happen.

I'm not sure if I believe Bryce is really dead this time. And with all the emphasis on Mothers Day early in the show, I'm still expecting her to make an appearance. Hey, maybe fledgling-Intersect Dad flashed on something related to Mom and THATs why he left...?

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
I think this could be an interesting twist on Chuck. He's been smart, now he can defend himself, but the idea that this will serve as a replacement for spy school is laughable. He still thinks like an Average Joe, and that's something only training or experience will fix.

Yeah, I agree. How about this though, I think General Beckman set this all up. I think she asked Chuck to be an analyst because she wanted Chuck to work for the CIA. In fact, I think she is the one who included the kung fu training, remember she was tired of having to protect Chuck, and by doing it this way, not only does Chuck think that he chose his own destiny but he can also protect himself with this new intersect. Not only that but now she doesn't have to store the intersect in a room, she can always simply come to Chuck, which makes the intersect much more useful and pragmatic. Remember, the CIA and NSA *always* lie, which makes them letting Chuck go so easily much more believable.

It was a great finale, I had my Subway sandwich and sent in the card and letter, and now I hope for renewal.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Isn't it weird that somebody as geeky as Chuck wouldn't notice that the new agent looks an awful lot like #6 from BSG?

TBH, I'm kinda surprised he doesn't recognize Awesome's dad as Tron either, especially since all his "hidden stuff" about the Intersect is on the back of a frakking Tron poster and Dad signaled him to be at the FULCRUM base by saying there'd be a Tron showing at midnight. . . .
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Tron? What about Captain Sheridan?
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
TBH, I'm kinda surprised he doesn't recognize Awesome's dad as Tron either, especially since all his "hidden stuff" about the Intersect is on the back of a frakking Tron poster and Dad signaled him to be at the FULCRUM base by saying there'd be a Tron showing at midnight. . . .
Nothing like a little homage, is there? Kind of like Hiro not noticing that his father is Sulu, or for that matter, Chuck not noticing that his father is Sam Beckett.

Now, my first impression when Chuck says "I know Kung Fu" was that it was an homage to the Matrix. But my wife recognized that it's an homage to Quantum Leap. Scott Bakula (Sam Beckett) built a super computer that allowed him access to information that helped him solve people's problems. But his brain was "swiss cheesed" in the time travel process, so he forgot much information about himself. Except that from time to time he flashed on a memory, and remembered that he was a concert pianist, or a medical doctor, quantum physicist, basketball player, or rock guitarist. Or whatever.

In one episode he suddenly remembers: "I know Kung Fu."

Fancy that.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

D'oh! I didn't realize that Senior Mister Awesome was Tron! Sheesh. What kind of a geek am I? And yeah, I also took the kung fu line to be a Matrix blip. I didn't get into Quantum Leap when it was broadcasting and it's on my Netflix list.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Whenever I hear "I know kung fu" I always think of Toby Macguire making fun of Keanu Reeves on SNL Celebrity Jeopardy.

"I know kung fu."
"No you don't!"

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I should also point out: Tron (Bruce Boxleitner) was on Scarecrow and Mrs. King, a TV series about a simple housewife who becomes a spy despite having no spy skills, yet somehow manages to save the day on a weekly basis.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

THAT was the name of the show I was trying to recall last night. I was too lazy to hit IMDB.
Magson
Member # 2300

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Tron? What about Captain Sheridan?

Can't say I've seen/heard Chuck or Morgan ever say a word about B5. Granted, if we assume that they're as big of geeks as we think, then yeah, they should also recognize that. And *maybe* the Scarecrow and Mrs. King stuff, but that might be a bit before their time.

I do vaguely recall in Quantum Leap the 1st time he realized he knew martial arts, but I don't recall him saying "I know Kung Fu" ... I just remember him fighting off attackers (and I thnk he was in a woman's body at the time also.. or am I totally misremembering?) and once he'd knocked 'em all out then just kinda shaking his head like "Who knew I could do that?" But if it was a nice QL homage, I don't mind, even if I'm not quite geeky enough to have gotten it.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Lots of good press today, on CNN among other networks, on the save Chuck campaign.

Still have to wait until Tuesday to find out.

Man, the more I think about that finale, the more I realize how unsatisfied I will be for months to come if this isn't renewed.

Humean316
Member # 8175

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Lots of good press today, on CNN among other networks, on the save Chuck campaign.

Still have to wait until Tuesday to find out.

Man, the more I think about that finale, the more I realize how unsatisfied I will be for months to come if this isn't renewed.

No worries Lyrhawn, Chuck has been renewed for 3rd season!

I am such a fan boy, but I just jumped for joy. Yay Chuck!

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Humean316:

I am such a fan boy, but I just jumped for joy. Yay Chuck!

Isn't that exactly what a fan boy would do?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

Hooray, Chuck! It's the best part of my Mondays.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I'm not really trusting any of these people with "inside sources" at this point, but here's hoping.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll keep my fingers crossed, too.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
I'm not really trusting any of these people with "inside sources" at this point, but here's hoping.

Indeed. Two more days and we'll know for sure.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

It does not look good:

http://www.nbc.com/news/2009/05/04/nbc-announces-ambitious-lineup-of-programming-dominated-by-new-scripted-series-for-2009-2010-primeti/

Magson
Member # 2300

You read the comments to that article? Looks like about 75% of them say "No Chuck? Buh-bye to NBC then!"

And about 2/3 seem to say the same for Life (most for Chuck also say they want Life).

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Yeah, but that's to be expected. I mean, we KNOW there are people who watch Life and Chuck. Right now those people are angry and want to complain. No one else has anything to complain about, ergo they aren't commenting.
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
For those who would like to give Chuck a try, the first several episodes are online at the WB website.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the Chuck season finale. They had better renew it. :E
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Living rooms....set on fire....
Humean316
Member # 8175

From what I have heard, according to Nikki Finke, NBC is not happy with the new David E. Kelley pilot Legally Mad, and thus, it is not picking up the script. However, if they don't pick up the pilot, then they owe a 2 million dollar penalty to Warner Bros, which just so happens to produce Chuck. Apparently, NBC is holding out and tying Chuck's renewal to the dropping of that penalty.

In other words, if NBC can get Warner Brothers to drop that 2 million dollar penalty for not picking up Legally Mad, then Chuck will be renewed. We will know the decision by May 19th.

Edit: Link

[ May 07, 2009, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: Humean316 ]

AvidReader
Member # 6007

Thanks for the link, Humean. I'm not thrilled that I'm waiting on network politics, but at least I know NBC wants to renew Chuck.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Hallelujiah!!!
Teshi
Member # 5024

I've never used this smiley before:

[The Wave]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm excited by the prospect, sad that it's only 13 and not a full season (but hopeful that it'll end up as more) and somewhat nervous at what it'll look like with a lower budget, smaller cast and fewer writers.

If it comes back gutted, that'd almost be worse than having it canceled. but I think they can easily make it work with blowing less stuff up, which is where I imagine most of the big bucks went to.

Teshi
Member # 5024

Lyrhawn: Yeah, we can live without heavy effects. We probably won't even notice they're gone.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
They can do the show on the cheap. My favorite episodes all take place primarily at the Buy More. It's the intersection of Buy More sensibilities and National Security that make the show for me. Jeff coming out of Missile Command retirement in "Chuck vs. Tom Sawyer" is wonderful. The second season Christmas episode was fantastic, I thought, and that all happened at the Buy More. Jeffster's deeply earnest and mediocre attempt at becoming a mainstream rock band is also another gem. To be honest, less worried about the budget cut than I am about Chuck quitting the Buy More.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

But Chuck DID quit the BuyMore. When he got that huge paycheck from the NSA. Of course, he ended up spending it on Ellie's dream wedding, and we don't know how much - if any - there might be left. (and I still get insane giggles at Casey's team playing wedding planners....) So one of the first things they need to do is establish a cover for him again, either getting his job back or a new one. And since the Castle is already underneath the frogurt shop, BuyMore or LargeMart make the most sense.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well, Awesome knows he's in the CIA, and if they're cutting other team members out, if he has the new and improved intersect in his head, and since the General offered him a job at the CIA anyway...maybe they won't send him back to the BuyMore.

I could do with having only a few episodes here and there of Jeff and Lester, they alternate between hilarious and a tiny bit annoying. But I'd really miss Big Mike. I want him to reunite with Carl Winslow!

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Frankly, it makes most sense to cut Morgan and his girlfriend, since they were supposed to be moving to Hawaii.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I wasn't always a huge Morgan fan anyway. Funny but cuttable.
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
I've watched a single episode of this show! it was the most recent one with the weapons expo and I thought it was enjoyable.

I was astounded at how awesome the episode soundtrack was. the songs I recognised were:
a song by Datarock (it was in the opening scene)
Merrymaking in My Place by Calvin Harris (this has been like one of my fav songs since late 2007)
and a song by The Clash
a Cake song for the theme song I think

Most people I know have never even heard of those first two.
any indie/electronica music lovers know if they play stuff like that in every episode?

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

I don't usually notice the music, to be honest with you. It didn't strike me as out of the ordinary.

I would just like to say how much I'm enjoying the change in the Chuck/Morgan dynamic. Plus, it's always fun to see Jeff and Lester go all stalker on someone.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I LOVE the music for this show. They play a lot of fun, but somewhat indie/underground music.

My best friend, who is heavily into that scene, almost always knows what's being played, but most of the time I've never heard of it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.