FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » (They extended the deadline!!! (grrr) )How can you change someone's life...? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: (They extended the deadline!!! (grrr) )How can you change someone's life...?
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all!

So I know I haven't posted here in years, and maybe I have no business doing so now, but I was hoping I might be able to make a small trade with those of you who might be interested in help change my life for the better...

As some of you may know, I've been working on my music crafting for quite some time, and I've come to an interesting turning point.

My band is in an online voting contest to open for Blues Traveler. It ends at midnight tonight EST. We need at least 4th place, and right now we're only 11 votes shy of getting exactly that.

Opening for Blues Traveler could be a show that might change my life, so here's what I have to offer:

If you might be kind enough to take a moment to vote for my band, I've posted our latest album up on our website for free for the next few days. you can download it at http://www.icarusrisingdc.com

Perhaps you'll enjoy it, perhaps not. I very much hope some of you will. Either way, if you can spare a minute or two to vote, you will make me a very happy man. :-)

The link to the contest is http://www.ontaponline.com/celebrate . It's not a very intuitive voting system, so I'll help out a bit and give some instructions.

In order to vote, you scroll down to the bottom of the page and register and they'll send you a password. Login with the password, go back to the same web address, click "Icarus Rising" and press the "Vote" button at the bottom of the page and you're done.

I won't lie. The catch is they want your email address to send occasional newsletters. They're a reputable magazine in the D.C. area, so it should be easy to just click "unsubscribe" on the first one you receive, however if you're worried about it, it's also easy enough to give them a spam email account or create a new gmail/hotmail/yahoo etc. account and give that to them.

Anyways, sorry if I'm being long winded. I've worked endlessly on this for the past week and I'm sleep deprived, so I hope you'll forgive me. :-)

Wishing you all the best, and I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

-Noah

[ April 20, 2009, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: CalvinMaker ]

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this would've been a completely different thread.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Done. Less than 2 minutes total from first click to voting, including registration time (I used my throwaway yahoo account).

Excellent directions! Good luck!

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
voted
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Voted! [Smile]
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Voted. Assuming the votes are updated in realtime, you're now in 3rd place.

Are we limited to one vote per login?

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks SO much for all your help guys! We've managed to sneak into third, very close behind 2nd and 1st but not far ahead of 4th and 5th. I refuse to celebrate though until midnight. :-)

I'm guessing they probably track extra votes by IP addresses. You could probably get away with an extra vote or two if the email and usernames are pretty different, since it could be roomates/siblings etc.

You guys rock!!!

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly no skin off my back, man. [Smile]

Is there more than one page of bands? Because the page you're on, you're the top.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

Nope, just one page. Right now we're at 237. 1st is 247, 3rd is 236, and 4th is 218.

*hops around in circles as midnight draws closer*

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I voted for Gypsy Sons.

Kidding! Registered and voted. [Smile]

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Voted. Man, it's tight! Good luck, dude:)
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

:-)

1 vote behind 2nd, 5 votes behind 1st.

43 min left. :-)

Part of me really wants to take 1st place, but I don't want to be greedy. I'll be happy if we just keep our current place.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Voted. Best of luck. [Smile]
Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can tell, you got first place with 253 votes. Congrats!
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

Thanks SOOOOOOOOOO much everyone! We're double checking now to make sure no more votes can be accepted, but I did call a few days ago and they told me that the contest ended tonight at midnight.

1st place by 6 votes!!!!!!!!

You guys made the difference!

Thanks again so much! Please feel free to call in a favor anytime. You guys had my back tonight. You can bet that I'll get yours. :-)

Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations. [Smile]
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
It let me vote just now. Also, done.

Hmm, perhaps it didn't count. Either way, good luck and grats if the numbers are right!

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Please feel free to call in a favor anytime.
You guys make it big, I'm totally keeping that in mind:p
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Free Hatrack concert? Works for US! [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it still counts, but it let me get in and vote for you. Good luck, and congratulations on your victory in the contest.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

<------------is really pissed right now.

I just got this email from the webmaster saying

"We've had a few emails asking about voting deadlines and the process. The deadline for bands to enter the contest was last Friday, April 17. The actual voting deadline was not specified on the webpage which led some to conclude that the voting also ended on the 17th. We wanted to make sure that bands that submitted later during the submission period still had ample opportunity to let their fans know and had intended to cut off voting tonight at midnight, which should have been clearly indicated on the page from the get go. Because it wasn't, we are going to extend the voting to tomorrow, Tues., April 21, at 5 pm in order to give everyone one last chance to reach out to their fans for support. The deadline will be clearly posted on the voting page within the next few minutes."

Grrrrrr...

Anyway, I'll make a fuss if we wind up getting kicked back into fifth when the contest ends, but in the meantime, all I can do is try and get more votes to keep us in 4th or better.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Voted for you! Good luck, looks like it is going to be a close race!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

Gah. She tried to go to bat for us but couldn't help us out (though she said she voted for us just now). Back to the drawing board. Gotta somehow get more votes through Tuesday at 5pm.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Change the title, CalvinMaker. People may figure you're just saying thanks or talking about the band -- they need to know there is still time to vote.

I'll try to spread the word some more.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

willdo. thanks for the advice and the help!
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I voted.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now you're still in first by about 10 votes.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I voted as well
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
I voted

Good Luck!

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
I just voted for you. You're at 276 now, ahead of The Gypsy Sons by 11 votes.
Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Voted.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
VOTED!
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

<----Is exhausted and is heading to bed. Thanks SO much to everyone who voted, everyone who's spreading the word, and everyone yet to vote.

Goodnight everyone. With any luck we'll keep our place until 5pm tomorrow!

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I voted! You were at 301 before I voted --- good luck!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
303 votes. The next highest band has 275. So far, so good.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
I voted just now. Your total is now at 306 votes.
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Voted. Good luck man.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
Voted for you. You're up to 308.

Edited to add: I listened to your track first, I like it... gonna download your album and give a listen.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

Good morning all!

It's the final stretch. We've slid into second (not to worry too much. As you know, 4th is as good as 1st).

5 1/2 hours left!!

CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

Good morning all!

It's the final stretch. We've slid into second (not to worry too much. As you know, 4th is as good as 1st).

5 1/2 hours left!!

Glad you like the music just_me. :-) If you really enjoy the album, let me know and I'd be happy to send some even newer tracks your way. (That goes for anyone else who'd like some more tracks as well).

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Voted!

I missed this thread before!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Voted. It's a tie for first at 312.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

Yup. We're back into first -- it's neck and neck though. 5th place is only 40 votes behind us.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Voted.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Voted! Ahead now at 320...
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

Sliding down...only ahead of fifth place by 23 votes..:-(

2 1/2 hours left to go

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Last I checked, you were in second by 3 votes (and only 1 behind first).
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

Yeah, thing is, 4th through 1st are the same. Once you hit 5th place though, you lose, and the current 5th place band is only 20 votes behind us... :-(
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Voted. Looks like you're currently in 2nd place.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
voted using my work account and work IP.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.