FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Specter goes Democrat (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Specter goes Democrat
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's because Limbaugh is the top of the pile of political jackasses in the United States?

Seriously. He's got the ratings to prove it.

quote:
And after he spat in their faces, Senate Democrats paid him back by unanimously voting to make him a junior member.
In what way did he 'spit in their faces'? Weighing in on that Minnesota race?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkKnight:
I wonder why Democrats and the rest of the media are so obessed with making sure everyone hates Limbaugh? Why don't the have the same obession with someone like Maddow? or Olbermann? Rall? Jesse Jackson? or even following the gaffe machine Biden?

Except that they do. I've heard Olbermann specifically criticized for having too many "I just can't hold this in anymore" moments. Jesse Jackson was recognized as a poor spokesman for liberalism a long time ago, and the press has no problem pointing out Biden's gaffes.

What really bothers people like me is that Limbaugh is objectively a poor spokesman for conservatism. He's an excessively angry, thrice divorced, addicted to pain killers, corpulent, sexist, who deigns to talk about social values. Republicans keep balking at calling a spade a spade. A Republican party that tells Limbaugh he is not wanted or desired is a Republican party that can get its' moorings back. But every time they manage to summon the courage to call some of his remarks, "inflammatory" or "rude" Rush blasts them for not being "real Republicans" and then they lose their integrity by apologizing.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
He's an excessively angry, thrice divorced, addicted to pain killers, corpulent, sexist, who deigns to talk about social values.
This is the best brief description of Rush Limbaugh I can recall reading, BB.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
He's an excessively angry, thrice divorced, addicted to pain killers, corpulent, sexist, who deigns to talk about social values.
This is the best brief description of Rush Limbaugh I can recall reading, BB.
Amen.

I liked Powell's statement.
quote:
"I think what Rush does as an entertainer diminishes the party and intrudes or inserts into our public life a kind of nastiness that we would be better to do without," Powell said.
quote:
"Is this really the kind of party that we want to be when these kinds of spokespersons seem to appeal to our lesser instincts rather than our better instincts?"
Certainly Rush is not the only nasty voice out their appealling to people's lesser instincts, but he is certainly
the most widely heard and one of the loudest. By all reports, his show draws a minimum of 13 million listeners every week. He has an enormous fan club, he sells T-shirts promoting water boarding. If you add all the followers of everyone on DK's list together I can't imagine they add up to half as many followers as Rush has. Evidently hate mongering pays and Limbaugh is simply better at it than the others.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
... He's an excessively angry, thrice divorced, addicted to pain killers, corpulent, sexist, who deigns to talk about social values.

He sounds like an evil hypocritical House! [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Rakeesh: Thanks, I debated whether to add 'racist' and 'college dropout' to the list but I'm not certain he's a racist, and dropping out of college is not categorically bad.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
My brother has the most awesome artwork ever but I can't show it due to copyright issues basically its Spongbob squarepants acting all googily eyed and happy when squidward is waterboarding him as spongebob is restrained to a table.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Colin Powell becomes the next prominent Republican to take a shot at Limbaugh.

Please please please don't apologize for your remarks Mr. Powell!

Heh. Colin Powell is nearly as much persona non grata in today's Republican Party as Specter is. He endorsed Obama, remember?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Powell could come back into public life pretty easily if he wanted to. I really don't get the sense that at this point in his life he covets the limelight. Given the kind of people who are getting the limelight these days, especially on the right, one can hardly blame him.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Rakeesh: Thanks, I debated whether to add 'racist' and 'college dropout' to the list but I'm not certain he's a racist, and dropping out of college is not categorically bad.
Well, I can't say I'm certain...but if I could read his mind, let's just say I'd be flabbergasted if it turned out he wasn't a racist.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
Well, I can't say I'm certain...but if I could read his mind, let's just say I'd be flabbergasted if it turned out he wasn't a racist.
Ditto
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Rabbit's a Ditto-head.

(Sorry for the insult, I couldn't resist)

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Pun intended.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/14/cnnmoney-com-credit-cards-and-gun-rights-huh/
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Evidently hate mongering pays and Limbaugh is simply better at it than the others.

Unless he is better at it because he doesn't use hate-mongering. Rush's show is more about being positive and doing things yourself and not what the government should be doing for you. It's easy to take 15 hours of programming a week, pull out maybe 20 seconds, to make a claim of hate mongering.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rush's show is more about being positive...
*laugh* Oh, yeah. He's like Oprah for NASCAR dads, I'm sure.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What a clever line...I wonder where you read it? You don't listen so you don't know. Not that you would do something to go against your already unchanging unfailing intellect, but try listening for awhile (that means more than 2 minutes) and see if you think Rush is a hate mongering negative person or if his show is about something else. I await your snarky post in return. I can't wait for the terrific tidbit of condescension, it's all you ever do! (Note how I can reduce you to something you are not by utilizing the same techniques you use to characterize Rush)
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
How many minutes do I have to listen to Rush before I'm allowed to form an opinion of whether he's positive or not? Is there a particularly positive bit I should be tuning in for, maybe at the 1:07 mark? Let me know when he's giving away the free cars.

quote:
Note how I can reduce you to something you are not by utilizing the same techniques you use to characterize Rush
Ah, dude. Somehow you still manage to completely miss the point. But keep on truckin'.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

DarkKnight, I have listened to Limbaugh, and hell, I voted for Dubya twice. So my credibility as a non-hater-of-conservatives, I think, has to be at least a little valid.

And I think he's a hate-monger. It's true, not every hour of his show is filled with frothing invective. But then, it doesn't have to be for him to still be an angry hate-monger.

Here's what I remember hearing from the Rush Limbaugh show on all the occasions I've listened: lots of preaching to the choir (that's the majority), slightly less but still lots of major condescension (a close second), frequent personal insult, straw men, and slippery slope reasoning, punctuated by both feel-good stories and the hate-filled invective.

What makes Limbaugh a hate-monger is that he embraces, in a whopping big hearty bear hug, all the hateful things he says. He cops to his personal insults with all their hints of racism and sexism with a big sh@#-eating grin.

He's a stain on conservative politics, who tragically isn't going away anytime soon. Which is strange (some might say hypocritical) given his stance on crime.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
My brother has the most awesome artwork ever but I can't show it due to copyright issues basically its Spongbob squarepants acting all googily eyed and happy when squidward is waterboarding him as spongebob is restrained to a table.

Um, given the quantity of deviantArt that's just a rehash of pop culture characters, I think you are perfectly safe showing someone a work that clearly counts as parody.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DarkKnight:
quote:
What a clever line...I wonder where you read it? You don't listen so you don't know. Not that you would do something to go against your already unchanging unfailing intellect, but try listening for awhile (that means more than 2 minutes) and see if you think Rush is a hate mongering negative person or if his show is about something else. I await your snarky post in return.
I listened to rush every broadcast day for seven months in a row. His business strategy and his mode of punditry is to seed hate. More importantly, he pontificates through mockery, ignorant disdain, disregard for the facts, and mammoth self-righteousness.

Any more tricks besides the 'listen to him first' line?

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.