FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Universe just conspired against me (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Universe just conspired against me
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I wasn't clenching my jaw. That's just how my jaw looks with my mouth closed. [Frown]

Edit: And my complaint isn't that I attract men. It's that the comparative number of men seems to outweigh women. Either that or I am just bad at reading signals from women... which is a given.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the signal that sends is "I care a great deal about how I look." I don't mean to stereotype gay men, here, but I've noticed that gay men are more likely to respond positively to that vibe than college-aged women are. Try going a little scruffier -- or, at the very least, a little less studiously posed -- and see if women respond.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hehehe.

As for my hair, since its not took season its not all over the place, brushing it just makes it "nicer" when its not brushed it just sorta goes in two different directions while if i brush it tends to be swept to one side.

I need a camera.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
How did this get into a discussion as to whether or not particular hair styles are appropriate?

Dude, have you asked her out yet? If this is a m/w/f course that you're taking (I would figure a calculus class would surely be), surely you've seen her again by now. If you have seen her and not asked her out, what's holding you back?

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

not making it seem awkward? I can't exactly ask during the class, if I ask at the beginning it would seem I was waiting for her and thus possibly entering creepy territory and if I leave too early and wait outside see above, I have to time it just right.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just walk up to her after class and say, "Hey, want to get a coffee together tonight?" And then ask her for a date over coffee.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
And if she says she doesn't like coffee, call her a skank and then RUN AWAY!

(because it's Blayne, I feel compelled to add that that was a joke. Please never do that)

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I think Ill skip to the running away part, more efficient.

I'm NOT a quiet person. This is something I prefer the din of the hallway for.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

What do you know about her? Why not just quickly invite her to some casual thing you're planning on doing anyway?
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
"Why not just quickly invite her to some casual thing you're planning on doing anyway?"

Note: this should not include doing your laundry.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with laundry? Though that might be a bit much for a first date (considering that at my college, the laundry room was where you went to make out).
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

I can't articulate the reasons I had in mind without sounding ridiculous, so I might have to conclude that there's nothing wrong with laundry. [Smile]

But I'll share those reasons anyway:
- Dirty laundry might have sights or odors you don't want to share at that point
- There might be a somewhat creepy vibe to the implied invitation to handle your underthings

If you can avoid those kinds of intimacies then perhaps it'd be a good low key setting. I'd still think coffee or frozen yogurt or something might be a less risky offer. [Smile]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
It should also not include inviting her to watch you play video games.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
As a rule, first dates should not involve the girl watching you do anything you'd do in your home alone.

I so want to make an onanism joke here.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.

"Some casual thing you're planning on doing anyway" leaves a lot of room for error.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

I thought of a third reason:
- Without extra effort, she gets all the information about your wardrobe at once. (There's no advantage to wearing your best shirt.)

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Laundry is NEVER casual.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
What do you know about her? Why not just quickly invite her to some casual thing you're planning on doing anyway?

Or better yet, invite her to something you are doing with a group of friends. If you have to, plan something with a group of friends like meet at a local pizza joint or something.

Then you can, say a group of us are going out for Pizza friday night, would you like to come along. Its a really much better situation for lots of reasons. As a young woman, its can be kind of scary going on a date with some guy you barely know, a group setting is a much safer place to get to know someone than a date. Furthermore, the one on one of a date is kind of high pressure and a lot of people feel awkward on a first date. If you are with a group, you don't have to carry the whole conversation, there is less chance of putting your foot in your mouth or having long awkward pauses in the conversation. Its a much more low pressure way to have a chance to talk to a girl and find out if you actually have anything in common besides math class. I think the whole awkwardness of dating is one of the reasons so many people go to movies on dates, despite the fact that going to a movie together is a really terrible way to get to know someone.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Based on a probabilistic model of how BB seems to spend his time, that seems to imply that he should either invite her to play MMO games or invite her to help solve his problems by posting on Hatrack (in which case the whole thing goes recursive).
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:

Or better yet, invite her to something you are doing with a group of friends. If you have to, plan something with a group of friends like meet at a local pizza joint or something.

Then you can, say a group of us are going out for Pizza friday night, would you like to come along. Its a really much better situation for lots of reasons. As a young woman, its can be kind of scary going on a date with some guy you barely know, a group setting is a much safer place to get to know someone than a date. Furthermore, the one on one of a date is kind of high pressure and a lot of people feel awkward on a first date. If you are with a group, you don't have to carry the whole conversation, there is less chance of putting your foot in your mouth or having long awkward pauses in the conversation. Its a much more low pressure way to have a chance to talk to a girl and find out if you actually have anything in common besides math class. I think the whole awkwardness of dating is one of the reasons so many people go to movies on dates, despite the fact that going to a movie together is a really terrible way to get to know someone.

No, Double No, Full Stop, You Do Not Go past Go and Most definately not collect 200$, cease, arret, halt, stop, and stop some more, in fact a reversal might be in order.

I would never let my friends near any girl I might have a chance at dating without wanting to commit relationship suicide, think of the things YOU know about me, then consider for a moment that my friends might know ALOT more and might say for example exclaim LOUDLY in surprise that I might be seen in the company of someone female in anything hinting towards romance or a relationship of any kind.

Then think of all the things that the girl obviously wouldn't know about me but are embarrassing, I think Hatrack knows of at least several examples that my friends in the most fundamentally failure of tact ever concieved would undoubtedly start prattling off a whole list of reasons why the girl should not be dating me.

In short Bad bad BAD idea even if they don't INTEND to do what I describe above I know that they will have the uncontrollable compulsion to do so because they would be so shocked and surprised that they would have no choice.

So no, no friends. There is maybe ONE friend who I trust would remain silent about any of my bad habits.

scifibum
Member # 7625

Here's an idea. Forget dating until you're comfortable enough with your habits to have someone find out about them. Or, at least, quiet down with your friends (meatspace) about things that you can keep private even if you develop a close relationship with someone, so that your discoverable habits are ones that you are OK with having out in the open.

Finding that comfort level could include a combination of changing your habits or learning to be comfortable with existing habits.

But the terror that a date might *get to know you* is, I think, a very unfortunate circumstance.

jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
What? That's the point of dating, scifibum... you act as normal as possible to make the person like you enough to get past all your crazy weirdness.

That's what I always understood it to be, anyway.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Well, yes, you have to ease them into your oddness.

And I'm on record saying that waiting for perfection is not a good dating strategy - I was talking about perfection in the partner, but it goes the other way too.

Maybe I was a little harsh.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
As a rule, first dates should not involve the girl watching you do anything you'd do in your home alone.

I so want to make an onanism joke here.

[ROFL]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's a T-Man on this board, I think, but only one of him.

Hey!

Its T:man

And don't forget our other T Traceria!

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
consider for a moment that my friends might know ALOT more and might say for example exclaim LOUDLY in surprise that I might be seen in the company of someone female
1) Get new friends.
2) Profit!

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
So now your friends are conspiring against you too. Very unfortunate.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.