FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Real Chocolate Relief Act

Author Topic: Real Chocolate Relief Act
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to assume that this doesn't count as spam, because it doesn't suggest that anyone buy anything.

But I figured Jatraqueros deserve some free chocolate if anyone does.

https://www.realchocolate.com/

Apparently, starting two weeks ago, and through September, you can go there and sign up for a free candy bar coupon.

quote:
They're only giving away 250,000 per Friday. The promotion begins at 9:00 a.m. Eastern Time (you can't print out a coupon until then) and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. Eastern, Tonight, though I'm sure the 250K coupons will be long exhausted by then. (You can sign up to be reminded by e-mail about each Friday's promotion.)
I did it today, and it said to expect my coupon in the mail in 6 weeks. Go figure...
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, first point, link doesn't work for me. Second point, I don't know what sort of chocolate they're giving away, but if it's the usual stuff sold in American stores, then calling it 'real' chocolate is seriously misleading.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh good, I'm not the only chocolate snob on this site. [Smile]

Real chocolate is so hard to come by...

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
The website security certificate is for realchocolate.com not www.realchocolate.com, the former worked for me while the latter prompted a warning.

And just assume they mean "relief FROM real chocolate." [Wink] Surely even a chocolate snob can enjoy a nice American candy bar if it's free.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Ok, first point, link doesn't work for me. Second point, I don't know what sort of chocolate they're giving away, but if it's the usual stuff sold in American stores, then calling it 'real' chocolate is seriously misleading.

Chocolate seems like such a strange common ground for me to find with KOM but there it is.

KOM: what's your preferred chocolate?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Norwegian milk chocolate. My mother sends me a supply every so often.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I'll take a Hershey bar any day over that snobby eurochocolate.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
While I think both have their place.

Thanks for the link, Lisa.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
The website security certificate is for realchocolate.com not www.realchocolate.com, the former worked for me while the latter prompted a warning.

And just assume they mean "relief FROM real chocolate." [Wink] Surely even a chocolate snob can enjoy a nice American candy bar if it's free.

Well, that depends. In this case, yes, because I'll eat Dove, although they've gone downhill since Mars bought them. I won't touch a Hershey's product with a ten foot pole. It's just tragic, but when I was a kid I used to go out camping with my marshmallows, graham crackers, and Hershey's chocolate. I'd toast the marshmallow, getting it nice and brown (never black), and immediately stick the warm, gooey cream on top of the chocolate, enclosed in graham cracker. YOu know, a s'more, and it was an apt name.

Then I grew up and I tried the experiment again. The trouble was, the chocolate didn't melt and it was too sweet. The former being the bigger problem. Hershey's had changed their recipes, made it cheaper and less useful. But it didn't stop there. Nestle tollhouse, the leading name in chocolate chips, will not melt in a chocolate chip cookie.

And Hershey's is leading a charge to have the legal definition of chocolate renamed to include anything that tastes like chocolate. (Whereas now it has to have some small part cocoa butter in it.)

So no, I won't eat chocolate just because it's free. My hips will pay the price either way and so I may as well only eat the chocolate I enjoy, even if it costs me. [Smile]

In any case, thanks for the link. I am sure I will enjoy the free Dove chocolate.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
While I think both have their place.

Yeah, in someone else's cabinet, far away from my delicious 85% cacao chocolate. [Wink]

Actually, I like American candy bars, European milk chocolates, and high-purity dark chocolates, but in the reverse of that order. High purity darks first, Euro second, candy bars last. Although the Skor bar is close behind the Euro chocolates. I do like the Skor.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

Christine, my wife uses Nestle chips all the time and they melt just fine. I can't comment on the s'mores because I don't like getting sticky when I'm outdoors.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Christine, my wife uses Nestle chips all the time and they melt just fine. I can't comment on the s'mores because I don't like getting sticky when I'm outdoors.

I don't know what she's doing differently, but when I started using Giradelli chips, my chocolate chip cookies got tenfold better. It's not just the melting point, though that has been a consistent problem of late, it's the taste. Actually, one thing I discovered on accident..Baker's semi-sweet squares...I was out of chocolate chips and wanted to do a baking project with my son, so I chopped them up into course chunks and pieces. Turned out FANTASTIC.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*blink*

You don't like getting sticky outdoors but you want to buy a truck so you can go off-road camping with kids?

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
I do like the Skor.

*drool*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
*blink*

You don't like getting sticky outdoors but you want to buy a truck so you can go off-road camping with kids?

Correct. [Smile] I like camping and don't like getting sticky (particularly when it's not convenient to wash off the stickiness).

I also, when camping or otherwise, avoid smearing pine sap all over my skin and clothing when I can avoid it.

Oh, by the way, you seem to have something in your eye.

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
Actually, one thing I discovered on accident..Baker's semi-sweet squares...I was out of chocolate chips and wanted to do a baking project with my son, so I chopped them up into course chunks and pieces. Turned out FANTASTIC.

Isn't that the story of how chocolate chip cookies were invented in the first place? [Smile]

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

That's actually the story of how chocolate chips were invented.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
Oh good, I'm not the only chocolate snob on this site. [Smile]

Real chocolate is so hard to come by...

Add me to the list.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
That's actually the story of how chocolate chips were invented.

Well, yeah, that too. It was kind of a simultaneous thing, from my understanding. The woman was trying to make chocolate cookies and thought that the chunks of chocolate would melt into the dough. When they didn't, both the chocolate chip cookie and the chocolate chip were invented.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.