FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ongoing: I'm in a writing contest (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ongoing: I'm in a writing contest
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
So NYCMidnight.com is holding a contest for writers to craft Twitter-sized stories of 140 characters or less, which must include a supplied word.

So all of the entrants were split into 20 groups, with a different word for each group, and we all wrote (my word was "heaven").

So the first round now has been judged, and the best 15 stories of each group have been chosen, and now everyone gets to vote on their favorites out of each group.

And of the 15 chosen in my group, 2 of them are mine.

And now it's time for the voting. I'd appreciate it if you voted for mine (although there are some excellent competitors there). You can even vote for both of mine, if you've a mind to.

Go to the first round page and click on Group 1. Mine are the top two stories in the list. Vote!

Voting goes on till next Monday night. The writers of the 5 top stories of each group will go on to the finals, and I'd sure like to be there. I hear it's nice. Thanks!

(And check out some of the other entries, in all the groups. It's impressive what you can get across in 140 characters.)

[ August 26, 2009, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Voted. Just not for you.....

[Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Voted for your two and one other. [Wink]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you voted, that's the important thing. [Smile]

On of my coworkers - the one who told me about the contest, in fact -- also has two stories up. I voted for her, assuring her that once we're head to head all bets are off.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Voted!
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Voted for the "all dogs" one, I thought it was the best by far.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris said, “Vote.” She voted. And voted. And voted. Then wondered what happened to that hour she was supposed to enter on her time sheet.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:

I didn't get that one.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
I voted, and recommend the dog one, HI-larious!
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff, Chris.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Thanks, everyone. If you haven't voted, today's the last day. Tell your friends! Tell your enemies! Spam your loved ones!
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:

I didn't get that one.
He thinks he's been ordered to kill the dogs so that they go to heaven.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Woot! I made the finals! Thanks, everyone!

Next is the final round, where the remaining authors all get the same word. Wednesday night!

To make it more interesting, one of my coworkers also made the finals.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
lol sounds like fun! I'd say a bet is in order.....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Congratulations! [Smile]
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Finals are tonight, at 7pm EST. The 100 remaining writers get the same word and 5 hours to write up to 3 stories using it, in 140 characters or under.

I'm going to ignore the fact that I woke up with a fever and a sort throat. Or maybe I can use it! Writers are supposed to suffer!

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

And the word was "tear." Wrote 6 stories, dumped one, and finally chose three to submit. I'll post 'em here tomorrow, after the deadline.
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! [Smile] Did they specify if this it was the noun "tear" (rolling down a cheek) or the noun/verb combo "tear" (rip)? Or did they leave that interpretation up to the authors? That would make it an interesting challenge...
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I'm so glad you are participating in this contest and sharing with us. It's a treat to watch and be a part of it with you.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
ludosti, what about the verb tear, as in "she teared up"?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
So NYCMidnight.com is holding a contest for writers to craft Twitter-sized stories of 140 characters or less, which must include a supplied word.

So all of the entrants were split into 20 groups, with a different word for each group, and we all wrote (my word was "heaven").

So the first round now has been judged, and the best 15 stories of each group have been chosen, and now everyone gets to vote on their favorites out of each group.

And of the 15 chosen in my group, 2 of them are mine.

And now it's time for the voting. I'd appreciate it if you voted for mine (although there are some excellent competitors there). You can even vote for both of mine, if you've a mind to.

Go to the first round page and click on Group 1. Mine are the top two stories in the list. Vote!

Voting goes on till next Monday night. The writers of the 5 top stories of each group will go on to the finals, and I'd sure like to be there. I hear it's nice. Thanks!

(And check out some of the other entries, in all the groups. It's impressive what you can get across in 140 characters.)

This is way more than 140 characters, disqualified
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

And here's what I submitted, with titles added afterward for fun:

Last Call

"Aren't you skydiving?"

"Yup."

"You're calling from midair? That's sweet!"

"I love you..." he said, watching the tear in the fabric spread.

Father Knows Best

"But I loved him, daddy!"

"Wipe that tear away, honey. Other boys will respect you more."

"How do you know?"

"Because they'll see his body."

Anything for You

"You said you were too happy to write tear jerking songs?"

"Yeah?"

"I just stole your truck to go sleep with your sister."

"Oh, I love you!"

I also posted a few that didn't make the cut at my blog.

rivka
Member # 4859

Sad and sweet; horrifyingly hilarious; and just plain hysterical.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Woo! One of my stories made the top 25! Now I'm eligible to win the judges' award (that's entirely up to them) and/or the popular vote, which is entirely up to you.

If you're so inclined, please head to http://www.nycmidnight.com/2009/tweet/tweet.htm to see the 25 chosen, and vote for me if you think it's worth it (you can vote for as many stories there as you'd like). I'd appreciate it.

AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
There are some really great ones in there. Good luck, Chris!
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought most of the other ones were better than the truck one. The coupon one and the sewing one were both definately better.
Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I voted. [Smile]

Apart from Chris's, I really liked the divorce one (but how horrible!) and the robot end of humanity one.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
There were some really good ones! I voted for you [Smile]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I voted only for Chris...there were some others I liked, but I am nothing if not loyal. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Voted! Good luck Chris.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
It's kinda strange that they picked the word "Tear" as that can mean one of two completely different things. I guess the extra latitude is useful, but I would have liked them to stick to one word.

Voted for you Chris because I really liked it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Thanks, everyone.

Of course, if I make the top 10 I'll get entered into their next Creative Writing contest, so I'll be shamelessly begging for votes again. Just saying, in case you want to take that into consideration [Smile]

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Voted, for Chris' and the Robot one. A lot of the others actually seemed really bad to me :/ I'm kinda surprised they were in the finals. They didn't even hold a candle to Chris' sky diving story.

And Chris - blast you, that story packs a surprising punch for 140 words...

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
If I could vote (can't click the boxes; I'll try again from home tonight), I would totally vote for Chris' parachuting story. Beginning, middle, end; essential for any story. And so poignant it brought a tear to my eye.

The only others I thought were close were the two by Katherine Boboris (the robot one and "tear his heart out").

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm less discriminating, apparently... I voted for eight of them. (Chris's included, of course.) The only one of the 25 I totally didn't get was "If it weren’t for the tear, I wouldn’t be here." But maybe I'm just missing something there...
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:
I'm less discriminating, apparently... I voted for eight of them. (Chris's included, of course.) The only one of the 25 I totally didn't get was "If it weren’t for the tear, I wouldn’t be here." But maybe I'm just missing something there...

... not [teer] but [tare]. As in torn.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

quote:
Originally posted by Fusiachi:
quote:
Originally posted by Shmuel:

... not [teer] but [tare]. As in torn.
...sorry, I'm still confused. [Confused]
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

It has to do with failure of contraception: if the contraceptive device hadn't torn (i.e., failed), the person wouldn't have been conceived, couldn't have been born, wouldn't be here.

[The ambiguity of this mini-story is intentional, I think. It's meant to provoke a moment of puzzlement and active engagement with the story by trying to make sense of it. But it's the sort of thing that is designed to make sense on the second thought.]

---

Edited to add: I don't know what your personal preferences are as to details here, but that should suffice to get the gist of the story. Some people prefer (or take identity/pride in, even) not knowing the details of contraception, and for some ages such details are not appropriate, so I'll leave it at that.

If you want a more detailed answer, I expect you'd best ask explicitly, as I get the sense that is not where you really want to go.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

Ah. Gotcha. Thanks. [Smile]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

No prob. [Wink]
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Last beg: voting closes in 10 minutes or so. Vote! (Please.)
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

re-voted [Smile]
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I voted, for the one about the tree, the superhero one, and your skydiving story.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

(Big breath) WOOOOO!

I won the audience award, and I thank everybody who voted!

Didn't win 1st place in the judges' award, but I did place in the top 10 so I'm entered into their next writing contest, where I'll have a little more room [Smile]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job Chris!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

Woot! Great job, Chris.
rivka
Member # 4859

[Cool]
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Chris.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get this one:
quote:
About at the instruction to "tear up your CANDY wrappers and BURY them!" I began to suspect that this was a pretty sub-par ninja academy.
Chris,
I would have voted for yours anyway. I really thought it was the best. The judge's pick was just time travel cliche #14 in condensed form.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I found the judge's pick to be pretty lame actually. I actually had ranked it in my mind as one of the lowest- groan worthy in fact.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.