FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Star Wars: The Old Republic has an impressive trailer

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic has an impressive trailer
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
really! check it out

I know that a trailer doesn't make a game, but if it did this would likely hit it out of the park.

It also highlights how much better this setting is for an MMO than the one used by Galaxies. The fact that there's actually room to actually work Jedi and Sith players seemlessly into the setting, at the very least, is something it has that Galaxies never did.

Edit:
For those who aren't aware, this is an upcoming MMO by Bioware set in the same general timeframe as their single player Knights of the Old Republic game.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, after I recovered my jaw I was like "Why has ACTUAL Star Wars never had choreography like that?"

Now, if only someone would make a movie that used that style of Force Combat with characters who could actually act... we'd be in business. (My one beef with the trailer was the uncanny-valley-ness of the head Jedi.... well, that and somewhat lame monologue, but I'm not sure if that was really that big a deal)

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but will there be anything other than Jedi and Sith, giving the players their druthers?

Don't get me wrong, if there's one studio I think can scarcely do wrong, it's Bioware; and if there's one (more) MMORPG that might lure me to try it, it's this one. But I suspect it's going to go through some growing pains.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of MMOs promise a whole world (literally) of changes, and end up being only incrementally more interesting than the ones before. I'm not really expecting something mind shattering here, but I am looking forward to having multi-option conversations possible in game. (I want to believe they can make an actual interesting world that changes based on your actions but there's too many problems that come with that for me to believe they'll do it effectively)

I'm not sure what I think about the art direction. Everything's clearly designed to look like Classic Star Wars despite taking place 4000ish years earlier. Silly as that may actually be, I can acknowledge it as necessary for the average Joe to recognize it as Star Wars at all.

I am overall intrigued. But lately I've been realizing the magnitude of how much more productive I am without an MMO subscription. So I'm probably only getting this if they offer a pay-per-day plan.

If I can play a Gungan Serial Killer I might make time for it though.

[ June 05, 2009, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: Raymond Arnold ]

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a nice trailer. I mean, if I could trust in a trailer to give any indication of how cool the game was going to be, I'd be happy.

HOWEVER

This game's most likely going to suck. If it does not, I will be surprised. The devs are terrible. Half of the old Star Wars Galaxies team are in on this.

THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN MOCKED IN THE DEV PROCESS SO FAR:

1. The game's visual screens and renders have been magnificently hideous. In-game images designed to create interest in the game have instead inspired mockery because they really really do look bad.

2. The devs have been trying to water down game mythology to make the Sith equivalent to the Horde: just misunderstood and oppressed. Devs are on record with stuff like 'you see, they're only evil from a certain point of view' — newp foo, they evil.

3. Fisher-Price Lightsabers

4. "We will create a dynamic game world and your characters can make lasting changes!" when asked how, silence and a few muted comments about maybe having some planets that can constantly shift hands in realm-wide PvP.

5. They are making the terrible mistake of making classes faction-specific. This is not a good idea, unfortunately. You have to be balance geniuses to pull it off, not SWG devs.

etc etc

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

The fisher price lightsabers were an early graphical glitch, from what I hear, but yeah, the rest of that sounds like my issues exactly.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

http://www.massively.com/2009/06/04/e3-2009-star-wars-the-old-republic-demonstration-part-2/

This addresses some of the concerns about "dynamic story." I'm not sure how well they'll pull it off but it sounded more interesting than I was afraid it might be.

ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
That was a nice trailer. I mean, if I could trust in a trailer to give any indication of how cool the game was going to be, I'd be happy.

HOWEVER

This game's most likely going to suck. If it does not, I will be surprised. The devs are terrible. Half of the old Star Wars Galaxies team are in on this.

THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN MOCKED IN THE DEV PROCESS SO FAR:

1. The game's visual screens and renders have been magnificently hideous. In-game images designed to create interest in the game have instead inspired mockery because they really really do look bad.

2. The devs have been trying to water down game mythology to make the Sith equivalent to the Horde: just misunderstood and oppressed. Devs are on record with stuff like 'you see, they're only evil from a certain point of view' — newp foo, they evil.

3. Fisher-Price Lightsabers

4. "We will create a dynamic game world and your characters can make lasting changes!" when asked how, silence and a few muted comments about maybe having some planets that can constantly shift hands in realm-wide PvP.

5. They are making the terrible mistake of making classes faction-specific. This is not a good idea, unfortunately. You have to be balance geniuses to pull it off, not SWG devs.

etc etc

I haven't really been following the game, but those look like many of the issues I have with it as well. I am somewhat willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now, though, on account of it being a Bioware team behind the game.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
I remain skeptical. The ratio of good Star Wars games to bad ones is not very good.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love for this game to be good. Being a jedi is probably geek fantasy numero uno for me.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
SWG Dev's? Dear lord, they should put the SWGEmu people on it instead they can actually accomplish something.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by Selran:
I remain skeptical. The ratio of good Star Wars games to bad ones is not very good.

True enough, but Bioware is one of the few companies that has put out a good one.
C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
Ah, but will there be anything other than Jedi and Sith, giving the players their druthers?

There will be bounty hunters and troopers as well; among other classes. Look on the website.

The trailer is fantastic. The Rule of Cool is abound. They should make an animated movie like that, instead of wasting time on The Clone Wars.

I sorta jest, but if the cinematics in the game are anything like that, I'll be content just WATCHING someone play.

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

They won't be, of course, but if they get a decent engine they might be able to pull off something like the in game cutscenes that Blizzard did for Wrath of the Lich King. They weren't at the level of polish that the actual cinematics had, but they worked well and were pretty good for in game rendering.
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by C3PO the Dragon Slayer:
quote:

There will be bounty hunters and troopers as well; among other classes. Look on the website.
You're not hearing me. I know there are going to be other classes; that's never been a question. The question is, will anyone play them?

quote:
"How about phat lewts?" The developer asked. "I like MMOs, they give me phat lewts."

They loot the corpse of the Jedi, "As we all know, the only thing better than a lightsaber... is two lightsabers! Especially when one has just come off the corpse of a Jedi you've just punked."

Slap this developer repeatedly. Until they give up use of terms like "phat lewts" and "punked", do not let them go back to work on this game.

"Phat lewt" was always the weakest part of the "Old Republic" games. "Oh look, it's another <armor piece> that belonged to <classic Star Wars character's third cousin once removed>. Pile it with the others, will you?"

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're not hearing me. I know there are going to be other classes; that's never been a question. The question is, will anyone play them?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/10/24/my-dearest-wish/
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Urgh, this is the last game I want to have turn out to suck, but the more I listen to the devs the more they sound like Harvey the Wondertard reprobates.

Is it so much to ask that I be able to play a jedi in a not terrible MMO that doesn't hemorrhage users in the face of bad design and terrible gameplay? is it so much to ask

Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/10/24/my-dearest-wish/
http://www.crispygamer.com/comics/backward/backward-2009-03-23.aspx
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Poor guys are struggling to compensate for a universe which definitely doesn't equalize the classes.

Force user >>>>>>>>>>> All

C3PO the Dragon Slayer
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for C3PO the Dragon Slayer           Edit/Delete Post 
Karen Traviss has something to say about that.

Not to say I agree with her... on anything...

Posts: 1029 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.