FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cheney kept CIA program from Congress, source says

Author Topic: Cheney kept CIA program from Congress, source says
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
So far, it's very frustratingly vague.

All that's known to the public is that there was some program, or rather a sometimes-program, initiated shortly after 9-11-01, that was kept from Congress on orders of VP Cheney, according to a 'knowledgeable source'.

I would almost suspect Cheney of anything up to a forked tongue and cloven hooves, but right now this almost seems a sound and fury. Was this program actually illegal? Was it legal to keep it secret? If not, exactly who in Congress should legally have been informed? How closely is this tied to current debates over how many in Congress must be informed of CIA activities? How closely is it tied to Speaker Pelosi's scandal?

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Was it legal to keep it secret?
More importantly, does the Vice President have the power to issue such an order?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
More importantly, does the Vice President have the power to issue such an order?
Hmmm. You know, I wonder if that depends on whether the President authorizes the VP to take certain actions in the President's name?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
We go around and around on this, but I believe that the President doesn't have the right to authorize the VP to do much at all. The VP isn't even technically a member of the executive branch- he's in the Senate.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
As I understand it, the President has a pretty wide latitude towards granting other people his power, so if the President has the power to do something, it's very likely that the Vice-President could be granted it. Ultimately, that should shake out as the President being held both practically and legally culpable for those actions, but I very much doubt that it would.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
We go around and around on this, but I believe that the President doesn't have the right to authorize the VP to do much at all. The VP isn't even technically a member of the executive branch- he's in the Senate.
What? This is incorrect, Orincoro. The Vice President is listed in Article II. The Vice President is also listed in Article I, but exactly half of those mentions specifically deal with times the VP isn't executing Executive Branch duties. More accurate to say the VP is sort of in both.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
The vice president is part of the executive.

it's only ever been Cheney himself who has tried to assert otherwise.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.