FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Life vs. Torchwood vs. Trueblood vs. Chuck

Author Topic: Life vs. Torchwood vs. Trueblood vs. Chuck
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am starting a new tv show and I need your help.

I need a new show that isn't just good - I need one that is great. I started Mentalist, and while I enjoyed it - I stopped watching after 13 episodes. It's like House for me. Good, but not worth keeping up with.

My favorite shows of all time are the West Wing, Avatar, Survivor, and Gilmore Girls.

Back in the day, I enjoyed Buffy and Firefly, Charmed, the early seasons of Smallvile - oh, and Everwood. Good show that Everwood.

This summer I'm watching Merlin and Kings.

Any help and other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm a big fan of Life. The first season more than the second. It was funny without being so over the top as Chuck, and not nearly as dark as Torchwood. I don't know about Trueblood.
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daventor
Member # 11981

- posted      Profile for daventor           Edit/Delete Post 
The only one of those I've seen is Chuck. And I did only catch that towards the end of Season 2, but it was a really fun show and I'm looking forward to it coming back. It's filled with a lot of pop-culture references and, yes, over-the-top humor (and the sequences involving the Buy More store team [at least that in the episodes I saw] sometimes fell flat], but the three main characters (which inlude Adam Baldwin Firefly) are always great together. So I would definitely consider Chuck a good choice.
And, since I don't see any mention of Burn Notice on your list, I would definitely recommend that one as an option. I've watched all of the first and second season, and it's a really terrific show (the middle of season 2 dragged a bit for me, but it came back with a vengeance towards the end and the Season 2 finale is one of my all-time favorite episodes of television ever).

[ July 14, 2009, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: daventor ]

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen Torchwood.

Based upon your post, I would wager that out of the shows you mentioned, Chuck is the one for you.

I like all of the shows you mentioned very much.

Life, for you, may be too formulaic. Like House or The Mentalist, it belongs to a new subset of shows which seem to be about extremely eccentric main characters who are possessed of some special genius -- and it follows a pretty clear formula. There is a really cool forward-moving storyline involving a conspiracy that'll keep you guessing with a lot of cliff-hangers, etc. But then again, both House and The Mentalist play with similar sets of tools, and you didn't stick with them....

True Blood is spectacularly ridiculous, with a tongue so far in its cheek they've mostly forgotten its there. It moves forward with terrific momentum. Every episode ends on a cliff-hanger. If you describe the plot to someone out loud, it sounds utterly goofy. Yet when you watch it, you get swept up in its seriousness. It is a strange and wonderful show.

Chuck is very akin to Buffy and Angel, I think. There is danger and peril there -- but it's mostly fun, and very funny. The humor is all on the surface, and drives things forward quite nicely. There are occasionally lame episodes, but even they will have a few smiles.

#

Have you considered The Wire?

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catalyst
Member # 12119

- posted      Profile for Catalyst           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Chuck. I haven't ever watched the others on your list.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Thanks for your recommendations.

I haven't seen the wire - is it good?

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Life and am very upset that it was not renewed.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

::crosses Life off of his list::
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Man, it's a good thing we're talking about TV shows. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like True Blood and agree with everything TL said about it. I've just recently started on Torchwood which is the answer to Doctor Who fans who wanted something a bit darker with a lot more innuendo but the same basic "feel" otherwise.

Have you watched Dexter? That was another good one.

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion -- and I don't mean to go off-topic here (there are other threads on the subject) -- The Wire is the best television show ever made by such a large margin, I have a hard time imagining anything that could ever match it. It isn't just the best television show ever, it's great literature of the highest possible order.*

[*except for the fact that it's a television show, and not literature.... details, details]

I'm one of those people who talks about this show in such absolute terms I turn other people off it. Such are the dangers of fandom, I guess. [Frown]

But my God. I just still can't believe that something of that scope and depth and intelligence was ever on any kind of television.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
TORCHWOOD IS AWESOME GO WATCH IT NOW IF YOU LIKE DOCTOR WHO! NOW NOW NOW!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I am also a fan if GG, Avatar, Buffy, and Firefly.

But from you list, I have only seen True Blood. I will say that living in Louisiana and working in a bookstore contributes to why I like the show.

I tried Chuck when it first started but got bored with it quickly.

As for other suggestions, I'd offer Dexter and Six Feet Under. I used to like Weeds but this new season is doing nothing for me.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Burn Notice as well, it's fun. I thought Dexter was great, and I love that show.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with TL on The Wire on almost every point. The creators have talked about it being a visual novel and I think that is an apt description. There isn't always much resolution of anything in an individual episode - they save that for the season finales.

On initial watch, I thought season 5 was a little weak. I just finished watching it for a second time and my opinion of it improved quite a bit. The series is intense and graphic (violence, sex, and language). It's also extremely intelligent and well written, directed, and acted.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I also really like Burn Notice and Chuck.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Six Feet Under is good.

Dexter suffers from House syndrome (e.g., the personality of the lead works for exactly X number of episodes, but does not evolve and you end up not having to watch any new episodes because you are guaranteed to have essentially seen it before)

True Blood is good in spite of itself. With the data you've provided it's prolly a good match.

Avatar was the dumbest show in the history of the universe. I can't believe anyone would watch that tripe.

Wire's fantastic.

Torchwood is cool.

Kidding about avatar, I was as hooked on it as you can get without ending up writing fanfiction.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

That sounds cool actually. It's odd - almost NONE of my friends share my appreciation of tv as literature.

I'll watch Grey's Anatomy and Lost with the rest of em, but they throw stuff at me to keep my marveling at emotional depth, or my literary analysis to myself.

Survivor, which I thought would be cheesy reality tv, turned out to be an amazing view of the best and worst of humanity. I made myself write a short essay on every episode of the all-star season so that I could squeeze out every last modicum of enjoyment from it. Seriously, that's how insane I am.

So seems I am getting excited about The Wire and Chuck. Maybe I'll check out True Blood too.

What's up with Torchwood. I've never even heard of Dr. Who before and after a look on wiki, looks like I'm getting into an entire world. Should I try Torchwood? Or should I try Dr. Who first? If the latter, where should I start?

MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need to see Doctor Who before Torchwood, but most people I know prefer Doctor Who. Definitely start with the new series (starting in 2005, I believe), not the old stuff. I recommend the episode "Blink" as a great introduction to the series. Otherwise, just watch them in chronological order. The episodes generally stand alone, though there are some long story arcs and reference to previous episodes that may be confusing if you just watch them randomly.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Doctor Who, but didn't really get into Torchwood. At any rate, I'd second MattP's recommendations -- start with the new Doctor Who series (the first episode is "Rose") and give it a few episodes to grow on you. If after watching "Rose," you're not sure you'll like it, skip to "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances," "Dalek," or "Father's Day."
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you looking for something to watch as it airs or something to marathon through that already has sizable content?

At this point we're probably being more annoying than helpful with our random suggestions, but I would be remiss in my duties if I did not recommend Terminator. Even though it got cancelled before it's time, I think Season 2 is some of the best television I've seen. (Season 1 isn't mind blowing but is still pretty decent, and is necessary to get the emotional impact of season 2).

I will second Dexter as another great choice though (the first few episodes are extremely violent to really reinforce the reality of what he does, but after that it tapers of somewhat)

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching "Heroes" for the first time (and just going to bed at 3:45 a.m.). My now-16-year-old and I watched Torchwood together last month and she asked if we could watch another series on DVD together like we did when her sister was at camp. (She's at my dad's for a visit now.)

So I borrowed "Heroes" and I'm enjoying it. Amanda? Not so much. I like the intertwining of the story line - people are connected who don't know they are connected. I'll finish watching even if Amanda doesn't - I want to see what happens next. (Just not at 3:45 a.m.)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

Put down Heroes. After season 1 it will just break your heart.
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Heroes is a such a disappointment.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I highly recommend Dexter. Season 1 was pretty durn good, but Season 2 was some of the best TV I ever saw.

Stop watching Heroes after season 1, as others have said.

I'd watch Dr Who before watching Torchwood. I think there's too much background you'd miss otherwise. (Even though Jack is a different person around the Doctor than he is around Gwen, Owen and Tosh)

I'm seriously diggin' True Blood and not just because of naked Ana Pacquin. I'd recommend that one too.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
::crosses Life off of his list::
Becasue I said I loved it?

Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

quote:
Originally posted by paigereader:

No. Because it was not renewed.

Someone is sensitive...

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Life began very well, but after the first few episodes they pretty much forgot about all the little quirks and film techniques that made the pilot so interesting. After that it was a run of the mill cop show. A good one, but I promise there will be another cop show just as good to take its place (if such a show doesn't exist already).
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.