FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fantasy Football 2009 - Finals are here this week! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Fantasy Football 2009 - Finals are here this week!
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, maybe not. He can't play 'till week three, and McNabb's rib should be good to go by then.

Edit to add: And I'm not sure that he'd be the first option, even then. Depends on how well he knows the system.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah; when I wrote that I wasn't aware that McNabb might be back so soon. [Smile]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I like my team, but I like all my OTHER teams too, and finished last each year, so we will see. Slanton was a huge disappointment today, as as Jackson.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I realized quickly that having an all-Redskins offense is going to either be great, or it's going to suck. And when Campbell can't find his rhythm, it tends to be the latter.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Not to mention it will suck when they get their bye week. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I am officially a fantasy idiot.

On one of my teams I benched the Philly Defense and Thomas Jones in favor of what I saw as favorable matchups for the Dallas Defense and Felix Jones.

Dallas and Felix combined for 2 points (in that league, apparently, a blocked FG does not count as anything) while TJ and the Eagles combined for 70.

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope I can maintain my .08-point lead with my two IDPs left to go tonight. [Smile]

No screwing up, gentlemen!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Jim, behold the queen of the idiots. I went into Sunday with three empty roster spots.
Kwea
Member # 2199

There is a vote function under matchups in Yahoo, and under that you can vote for whoever you think will win any given matchup. You can only vote until the first game (Thursdays) starts though, so make sure you get your votes in each week!

For instance, any time I see Portis on a roster, I KNOW he isn;t going to get 20 points....so I think that the yahoo ranking might be off (Sorry Zonda's [Big Grin] ), and I have to consider it.

Same thing wiht Steven Jackson, my OWN running back. This is the secord season I have ended up wiht him, and he has been mostly a dud for me....so unless he kicks it up quoickly, I probably will play Hightower, or maybe even Cadallic Williams......and that effects if I win.

I sat Jones-Drew a few games last year, after back to back to back games of under 10 points for me. Every time (all 4) I sat him, he had a HUGE day....once for 28.5 points. LOL

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Oh, I figured that out, Kwea. But the pickings are slim in RBs right now. All I can do is put him on the bench and pray the other guys don't suck.

ETA: Man, I absolutely hate "learning as I go." I want to fully understand something before I attempt it, so that I don't lose from sheer ignorance. Losing sucks. Big time.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Psi, you are playing me this week, but this is my honest advice regarding your team:

Keep Rodgers in. He's a big time QB, even if he had an off week last week, and the Packers are a very Pass-oriented team.

Meachem might be a rough start at WR... he's really 3rd or 4th down Brees' list of options there, where Clayton is the #1 WR in Baltimore... he may be a better start. Moss and Evans are pretty good, despite their off performances last week.

Miller is a good #2 TE and Kevin Smith is a RB you'll want to work in to your lineup a lot... just not this week as Minnesota has a ridiculously good Run defense.

You need help with your defensive players. Adalius Thomas, Laron Landry, Chris Hope, Anthony Henry, Terence Newman, Gerald Sensebaugh, Andre Carter, Derrick Johnson, Keith Brooking, Omar Gaither, Lofa Tatupu, and Corey Webster (in no partcular order) are good defensive players who are availible. I don't know for sure that they are good scoring players, because I'm pretty weak at individual defensive players in fantasy, but they are all good solid football players/

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I agree about Rodgers and Smith, although I'd probably still start Smith this week.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Oh, you're Vash? I was not aware of that.

Thanks for the advice. What do you think about Portis? I was planning on benching him, but I still have hopes for him against St. Louis. I mean, I doubt he'll get twenty points, but I don't see StL as a huge threat.

edit: As for Rodgers, I can't imagine benching him any week except his Bye. But I'm still here in week two, so what do I know.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

So I added a couple of the defensive guys you mentioned, plus a random DL. That advice was appreciated; I know so little about defense.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Yep, me Vash.

I think Portis will be fine against St. Louis. History suggests he'll wear down towards the end of the season (older RBs in general, not just *his* history), but early on, with a weak team like StL, I think he'll be a good start.

Kwea, you like you some Meachem this week, too? I think Philly's D might make a 3rd WR a tough play for the week.

Then again, tough Defenses might make the off guys (WRs and TEs) the more productive targets... looking at Cooley vs. the Giants last week, for example.

Edit: saw your defensive upgrades. not bad. I especially like Landry and strongly considered him for myself before deciding on Michael Griffin.

Further edit, I left out Al Harris in the "good defensive players" category.

[ September 16, 2009, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm not in Hatrack's league, but would someone mind lending me some advice on what to do with my lineup this week? I have some players that I know for a fact I'm playing, but I'm a bit hesitant on my running backs and receivers. Also, I really don't know that much about football players individually. I know the basics of the sport and more than maybe the average person, but I couldn't tell you what teams or players match up well against other teams or players.

I have Drew Brees for my QB, Robbie Gould for my K, the Giants for my D/ST, and Chris Cooley for my TE...

And then for WRs, I have Reggie Wayne (who I obviously plan to play), Chad Ochocinco, Jerricho Cotchery, Derrick Mason and Issac Bruce.

For RBs, I have Frank Gore, Cadillac Williams, Darren McFadden, Mike Bell, Darren Sproles and Pierre Thomas.

I was thinking Frank Gore (RB), Cadillac Williams (RB), Reggie Wayne (WR), Jerricho Cotchery (WR) and maybe Derrick Mason (WR) to round things out.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Might still want to start Sproles, as he handles the large majority of kick returns and punt returns as well. Even in tough games he racks up some yards....although it depends on how your league scores those yards.

I am playing Sproles and Williams, myself. [Big Grin] We use 3 RB because of the flex position.

Our league scores them at 20 yrds=1 point, like a pass, which is fairly standard.

Jim, I don't know much about Meechem, but I suspect you are right as Philly has a good pass rush and it's defense is playing well.

Portis is a good back on a very bad team, so he will be hit and miss until his line stops getting shoved out of the way like a 12 year old at an Old Country Buffet. [Smile]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Sounds pretty good to me. I'd personally be inclined to go with Ochocinco over Mason. McFadden and Bell are really good bench backs.

Tomlinson is dinged so Sproles may be worth looking at.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Mike Sellers is back with the Skins (this morning I guess?) after a contract holdout.... he's Portis's lead blocker and may make Portis more effective.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The scoring in our league (set up by my brother) is a little wonky. We don't get points for return yardage, we only get points, for our Defense, if it's returned for a TD.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
Mike Sellers is back with the Skins (this morning I guess?) after a contract holdout.... he's Portis's lead blocker and may make Portis more effective.

It can hardly make him worse at this point.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Tomlinson is out. Those of you with Sproles want to consider him.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Except SD is playing baltimore, and San Diego doesn't think sproles can be a work horse. I doubt he does a ton this week.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't underestimate Sproles... He may not be a work horse, but he pretty consistently out-produces some work horses in the league in a utility position. I'd consider using him even if Tomlinson is playing.

So after completely forgetting to set up my team for the first week and getting routed, I'm confident I have a solid lineup going into this one. Well, as solid a lineup can be having 3 starters from Cincinnati...

Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Guys, we have a scoring issue, and I am not sure how it happened, but I am probably at fault somehow. As commissioner I am the only one with access to the settings, but I didn't deliberately change this.

In standard scoring, receiving yards are scored as 20 yards = 1 point. For some reason, it is scoring just like a running back/rushing yards, 10 yards=1 point. This just isn't how it;s suppose to score....

Keep in mind that I personally have great receivers, so I have benefited from this as well.....but I don't think it is fair or equatable, and it wasn't the situation when we drafted.

I can change the settings retroactive to the 1st week, but I am not sure how that will affect the first weeks rankings. I didn't want to do this on the sly, without taking responsibility for the mistake (although I have no idea how it happened),

I just think any single player should be able to post 50 points in a game, and with this scoring setup that is what is happening. It will continue to happen unless we change it.

What do you all think?

Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I say leave it as is through this point and change for next week*. But I don't really care either way.

*Full disclosure - Chris Johnson is over 50 points for me this week, but most of those were gained via TDs and rushing yards. If you change it, I think he'll still wind up with over 40.

Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yep, and I am not targeting anyone specifically with this. I THINK that the points are not recording correctly, and I will research it before I do anything.

If I change it it is all or nothing, and I can't change it for the remainder of the season...the scoring rules are for the entire season.

We could just leave it alone, even if what I suspect is correct. I don't care as long as the group agrees.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fine leaving it as is.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I don't really care...of course, Jim is my opponent and he still has Crayton to play today. >_>

ETA: And we're tied right now. <_<

[ September 20, 2009, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Leave it then.
Kwea
Member # 2199

BTW....I think I was right about Sproles, don't you? [Big Grin]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Note to self: start McGahee next time.

---

Kwea, what do you mean 'in standard scoring?' The Yahoo rules say 10 receiving = 1 point.

Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
BTW....I think I was right about Sproles, don't you? [Big Grin]

Yup... I like Sproles a lot. Had him on my team last year. Wish I had him on either of my teams this year.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm wishing I'd started Sproles and Mike Bell instead of Darren McFadden and Cadillac Williams, but they still did fine for me.

Besides, Frank Gore had an insane day, with over 200 yds and two TDs, so that made up for any loss I might have had from not playing Sproles. Looks like Gore sprained his ankle too, so I might have to juggle things next weekend.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Ahh, that explains it...it USED to be 20/ point....they must have changed it.

I didn't remember changing it myself, but I figured I might have done it on accident looking around.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
I don't really care...of course, Jim is my opponent and he still has Crayton to play today. >_>

ETA: And we're tied right now. <_<

And... you win... (thanks Romo for the excellent game [Grumble] )
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Yeah, but the point difference was probably about what I gained by changing players on your advice. [Smile]

But you should have heard me screaming when Barber pulled that muscle and fell on his face. Besides being worried (Barber's my favorite player in the league) I was jumping up and down and yelling, "That should have been my touchdown and now Jim's going to get it!" I don't think my husband had any clue what I was talking about.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Welcome to fantasy football land. [Big Grin]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:But you should have heard me screaming when Barber pulled that muscle and fell on his face. Besides being worried (Barber's my favorite player in the league) I was jumping up and down and yelling, "That should have been my touchdown and now Jim's going to get it!" I don't think my husband had any clue what I was talking about.
My wife plays, so she knew exactly what I was talking about when the same thing happened in reverse (Felix definitely slowed down with a cramp on his 50-some yd run).
Kwea
Member # 2199

Good year so far, although Johnson just broke the single game scoring record for our league, I think....lol...

I am not sure if Moss did that 2 years ago or not, but it was close I'd bet. [Big Grin]

Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

Yeah, I'm very happy with my team's performance this week. [Smile]

Even had I not had Johnson I would have scored 120 and won easily (sorry kq). Odom, in particular had an amazing week on defense with 5 sacks.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I SAT Woodson, by accident. He had 2 INT AND a TD, and I sat him for Thomas, who had 2 points. LOL
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
My wife plays, so she knew exactly what I was talking about when the same thing happened in reverse (Felix definitely slowed down with a cramp on his 50-some yd run).
I screamed about that one, too. But it was...happy screaming. [Smile]
Kwea
Member # 2199

Looking forward to Sunday now....lol.....even more than normal, that is. [Big Grin]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Oh, yeah, me too. All my players are injured. But not injured enough for them to go inactive, just injured enough to make my brain hurt trying to decide whether or not to bench them.
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

yeah, I picked up Mike Bell in several leagues... and he's hurt now. I grabbed T. Choice in several leagues and now *maybe* Barber's ok?

grr...

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Choice still got a lot of touches last week, though, didn't he? And Barber was perfectly healthy.

Or maybe I was just hypersensitive to any action Choice was given over Barber. [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Holmes had a horrible week, as did Sproles. I've already lost this week, and Jim still has a RB to play on Monday.

Doesn't help that Brady kept overthrowing Moss in the end zone (3 times) either. [Frown]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I started Frank Gore....and DIDN'T start Pierre Thomas.

What a mess.

Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
A 20+ point lead going into Sunday night's game just wasn't enough. Peyton Manning had a great game. [Grumble]

Although, in my other league, I was happy to own Reggie Wayne. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.