FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Attending a wedding in Tel Aviv

Author Topic: Attending a wedding in Tel Aviv
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
First, a moment to say [The Wave] we're going to Israel!

Second, anyone who can offer some advice, particularly on what to wear? It's in the main synagogue about two weeks from now. I understand modest dress, and my husband will surely be fine with a suit (?), but what should my 2-year-old daughter and I wear? I have a long black skirt and long red stripy skirt - do colors or material matter? I have modest shirts but how modest is modest - are we talking sleeves covering wrists or just covering shoulders? Also, collar above the collar bone or just no cleavage? What is appropriate for a toddler?

Anything we should do or not do at the wedding, particular gift to give, etc? Extra cool points for being culturally sensitive would be fun. [Smile]

And then is it important what we wear the rest of the time we're there? Should we go with the same principles just walking around?

Is there anything we absolutely have to see? We'll be there several days and will try to rent a car I think so we can travel a bit.

Finally, let me end with [Party] we're going to Israel!

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

Google is under the impression that monetary gifts in multiples of 18 are a good idea. True?
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on how religious they are.

For walking around ALL of Israel, you needn't be concerned with what you are wearing, except for in certain places in Jerusalem.

It's funny - depending on the wedding, some people may not even wear a suit. But you're Americans, you can get away with whatever.

If it were MY wedding, then colors are not important, but no cleavage, no sleeveless, no skirts above the knee. Men in suits.

As for gifts? The multiple of 18 thing is cute, but not necessary - I'm sure the couple would be happy with a rounded figure. (18 is the numerical value for "life" (really "living") in Hebrew)

Should do: Dance in a circle. Jewish dancing, I feel, is great for just letting yourself let-go emotionally. Just show that you are happy for the couple, and have fun.

Shouldn't do: Make a toast?

Israel is pretty amazing. There is a LOT to see. What do you like? Hiking? natural sights? Religious sights? Museums?

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

For the purposes of this wedding, we're Slovaks - but still non-Jews, so point taken. We just like to blend in.

How religious they are is tricky - the groom (my husband's friend) grew up non-observant, then emigrated after high school, learned Hebrew and became very observant, then in recent years may have become somewhat less observant (judging by some behavior when we last saw him). Of course, his fiancee, whom we have not met, may have influenced him to become more or less observant since then as well, if that make sense. We're assuming more religious than less, just to be sure.

As to what we like, definitely museums and religious sights, with the understanding that we may need to bolt at a moment's notice because of the unpredictable nature of toddlers... [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lissande:
We're assuming more religious than less, just to be sure.

A good precaution. [Smile]

quote:
As to what we like, definitely museums and religious sights, with the understanding that we may need to bolt at a moment's notice because of the unpredictable nature of toddlers... [Smile]

I generally recommend the Tunnel Tours, but I'm not sure how that works with your caveat. Regardless, you must visit the Old City. (Conservative dress will be appreciated there.)

Have fun!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For the purposes of this wedding, we're Slovaks - but still non-Jews, so point taken. We just like to blend in.

Ve jste Slovenka? Mluvite Slovenstina?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Mluvite slovensky?
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

Manžel je slovák, já nejsem. Mluvím ale česky a hovorím po slovensky. Keď treba...

[Smile]

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The Tower of David. It's amazing.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Takze- Ja také, mluvim trochu cesky, ale nejsem dokonaly nebo elegantni. Byl jsem bydlit v Praze na jeden rok. A vi, proc mluvite slovensky nebo "ceskoslovensky"
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
The Tower of David. It's amazing.

It is very cool.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how much I appreciated these things because I was Jewish, so take em with a grain of salt.

In Tel Aviv:
Beit Hatfuzot - the Diaspora Museum - it is a great Museum for Jewish History - basically, Jews living in exile for 2000 years, where they were, what happened to them, what culture was like. Plus, they have a really cool exhibit with miniature synagogues that I LOVE (I happen to love miniatures).

Palmach Museum - A very new, cool, and modern museum that is really moving. It's about Israel's armed forces and the battle of independence. It helped me appreciate how we (Jews/Israelis) take the country for granted.

Outside of Tel Aviv: Mini Israel. Basically, a whole park of miniatures of the most famous places in Israel. Mini Dome of the Rock, Mini Tel Aviv, Haifa, etc.

Jerusalem: Tower of David, Western Wall, Shrine of the Book (Dead sea Scrolls) - I think that's a part of the Israel museum, which has a lot of archeological stuff, Old City (get a tour guide).

Ummmm...If you have time and you are into Spas, there is the Dead Sea and Massada...

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

Thanks for all your suggestions! I'll try to look them up and see how much we can manage in the time we have.

Orincoro - I didn't get that last sentence. Like many mixed Czech-Slovak couples, we are each heavily influenced by the other language (him living 9 years in the other country, me living with him) and when we're alone together we speak a fun mix of all three languages. If that's what you were asking. [Smile]

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
You do NOT need to worry about what you wear in Tel Aviv. It's a very cosmopolitan city. If you're going to Jerusalem, I would wear modest clothing in the old parts of the city, but otherwise you can wear what you want around town.

Lots of good advice already on the wedding itself, so I won't beat a dead horse there. [Smile]

So many lovely things to see! Most have been mentioned already. I don't know about your religion, but the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem is also an amazing site. Really, Jerusalem as a whole is amazing. Tel Aviv is great too.

Ahhh, I miss Israel. What an amazing country. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:

Orincoro - I didn't get that last sentence. Like many mixed Czech-Slovak couples, we are each heavily influenced by the other language (him living 9 years in the other country, me living with him) and when we're alone together we speak a fun mix of all three languages. If that's what you were asking. [Smile]

It was, but my Czech is bad enough not to be able to express that without resorting to Czenglish. For my part, Slovak sounds pretty much the same to me as Czech, but a little smoother and softer around the edges. But then, I'm most familiar with Bohemian Czech, which is rarely described as "soft."
Lissande
Member # 350

So we went, came back and it was great! We went to Jerusalem and the Dead Sea one day with a group (and tour guide) from the wedding party, and then managed to go back to Jerusalem another day to look around a bit more, including the Tower of David - thanks for the tip, it was really interesting.

We were staying not too far from the beach, so we got some nice beach time in with the little one as well. Not much else to do on Yom Kippur if you aren't Jewish, it turns out. [Smile] Going on a walk and watching all the kids bike around the streets was an experience, though.

Everyone we talked to seemed surprised when we didn't understand Hebrew, so I'm guessing our blending-in strategy worked ok... I was also told flat out that I look Israeli. [Smile]

Now all we have to do is manage to go back in a few years so Baby K will remember the trip this time. Also so we won't have to carry her half the time - that kid has stamina but even she can't match an adult pace for 12+ hours. Let me tell you, the heat and walking is a lot more bearable when you aren't carrying a two year old (or backpack weighing nearly as much...we switched off) on your shoulders. [Big Grin]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Woops. I didn't check the date on the lead post and didn't see Lissande had already returned making my comments and recommendations useless.

Glad you had a great trip. I've been to Israel twice and am looking forward to being able to return someday.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.