FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes 5 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Heroes 5
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
It started tonight.

Now with magic tattoos instead of paintings.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
No spoilers: Thumbs up or down?
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

I didn't actually pay attention.

And this is from a guy who bought the first season dvds as soon as they came out, and watched religiously through the first few seasons...

Um... Sylar was rather funny? It seemed somewhat better written?

Peter used his power in a more fun way?

Hiro did as Hiro does?

Matt was angsting about junk again?

The blonde chick is still around, as shown at the end of last season, after being killed, like, a dozen times?

Claire was kinda pointless as usual?

Bennet continues his loss of first season coolness?

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Sounds worth at least trying to watch.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Heroes. I ain't falling for you again.

Thrice bitten, finally shy.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I'm fine with watching it for popcorn fun if nothing else, unless/until it reaches a point where even that is worthless. (although... last year I watched with my roommate and we made fun of it together. Now I'm living at home where it looks like we won't be able to watch it live, and watching it by myself on Hulu doesn't lend itself as well to ridicule.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
VAGUE SPOILERS, SORT OF...

Actually the quality of the writing DID seem a little better than last season. I only caught part of last night, about the last hour or so, and I was interested. Peter wasn't an idiot, and actually used his powers in an interesting way, the new characters weren't one dimensional, in fact they were somewhat interesting. The Sylar and Matt stuff was interesting too.

In all, I wasn't planning on watching at all this season, but this first episode has me at least hopeful.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
I refuse to watch unless someone who has seen at least 13 episodes tells me it is worth it.

My love is not unconditional!

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The blonde chick is still around, as shown at the end of last season, after being killed, like, a dozen times?
Claire's power was apperantly inspired by Ali Larter personnally, the woman cannot be removed from the show. And if anyone else remembers the duscussion that Strauss had with the doctor responsible there were three Larter clones tossed out into the world, she has one more life left. The carnival represents a story that they hadnt attempted yet, sure The Company was run by specials but in malevolent way with no empathy towards the younger versions of themselves, whereas the carnival is by and for specials specifically. What exactly they have at stake is still unknown and just what theyre willing to do to achieve those goals as well mysterious, but it adds a new prism to the heroes world.

Im unsure of the college girl, Ive seen her work before but this character seems a bit thin, and seeing as shes directly linked to the Claire story I hope this changes.

As far as HRG is concerned.... HRG is not human and he does not know fear. But I have no idea who this Noah Bennet is, and I dont like him.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

The first Ali Larter clone already died (she was Jessica, Nikki's sister).

I think so, anyway.

I actually appreciated her more as the pseudo bad guy she became at the end of last season. I doubt they'll kill her off now but I wouldn't be upset if she remained as the villainess in this season and then gets killed off at the end.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I keep getting a NULL pop up when I try to watch it at NBC.com
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I see its because Americans suck and dont let streaming video work outside of the states.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
The first Ali Larter clone already died (she was Jessica, Nikki's sister).

No, Jessica died young and became Niki's split personality. This is the third of the triplets, Tracy.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I assumed Jessica, Nikki and Tracy were the three triplets, and Jessica and Nikki lived together and Tracy went somewhere else for some reason.

Anyways, I just tried watching this. I got about halfway through... and just couldn't bring myself to care. There actually were several pieces of it I thought were pretty good when taken in isolation, but it all felt like I'd seen it before.

There were a few isolated incidents of good/fun acting (I like Claire's "I told the truth. Ish.") that reminded me of first season, but they weren't enough.

Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait. I thought there was a Barbara. There isn't a third sister floating out there?

Yeah, check out the about in this: http://heroeswiki.com/Niki_Sanders

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
That never made any sense to me.
Okay. There are genetically engineered triplets - Niki, Tracy and Barbara.
They are all adopted and Niki ends up in a random family where her non-biological sister, Jessica, is so identical to her in every way that even she can't tell them apart in the mirror?
Then Jessica dies (we know she was real, we saw her grave) and Niki takes on her personality.

It makes no sense.

Why couldn't they just make them quads?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Really? That's what they're really going with?

That's... even stupider than the darned triplets thing, and that's saying something.

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah crap, are Castle, House, Heroes, and The Big Bang Theory all airing on the same day of the week this season?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. They've intrigued me enough to keep watching for now, but just barely. Interesting to see Bagwell from Prison Break (don't know the actor's name), and I'm curious to see what happens with Hiro.

Tracy's character just might be interesting this time around.

Oh, and Peter seems to have possibly sprouted a few brain cells which is a nice change. That combined with his now limited power could make him the compelling character he's had the potential to be from the beginning.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I will not be fooled again!

The only way I'll watch season 5 is if someone tells me that Hiro gets his powers back -- minus the nose bleeds. He was the only character worth watching and they messed with him.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Um... he did actually go back in time this week.

But he's having trouble again, of course. As normal.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Honestly, Hiro is the shows biggest problem. There's a reason they keep messing with him - it is not physically possible for him to be intelligent and powerful and for there to be a compelling storyline. Period. Either he has to act like an idiot or he has to be continuously gimped.

Granted, they keep doing BOTH, so... yeah.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Hmm. Possibly if they had an evil time traveler who was smarter than him go back there and actually physically prevent him from changing the present, and in fact causing the present problems in the process, it might be interesting...
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Actually, that's a pretty good idea. I didn't finish the episode, but I got up to a point where some guy did seem to be visiting Hiro in the past. I'm not sure if that was along those lines or not.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Yeah, I'm not sure what was up with that either.

However, if you have Hiro and an evil time traveler battling throughout history, you could have some interesting events without changing the present.

Hiro essentially preventing the villains from winning, but being unable to win himself, because they match each other. It'd be good for a season-long adventure, but if that was the case, the gimmick would only work a single season.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Well yeah. The challenge with Hiro is coming up with a different contrived scenario each time to at least keep the variety up. (3.0 tried "turn him into a 10 year old child" which was just about the dumbest end of the spectrum I anticipate them trying.)
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Indeed.

He's got a power that really is too strong for its own good.

I know they stressed it from the beginning, but with its use from time to time it becomes less clear that, well, this power, the time travel part at least, needs to be not just incredibly hard to use, but something that has huge disadvantages always.

You don't go to the time you want unless you try really hard, and then you can't get back easily. It's hard to aim properly, which has been shown and all, but it needs to be stressed.

"I can't go back in time to just change something from yesterday. Because I can't accurately control it, and perhaps I won't be able to even stay there long enough to do any good."

Kind of like in season one. Like when he went back in time to save that girl, and then totally failed, and kind of had to come back the long way because he couldn't go back to the present easily.

Second season's "I want to stick around and fix things" isn't a good enough excuse, except that when he went back to the present, he wasn't able to go back to the exact same time he intended, and thus missed a ton. But going back to try to fix it was far easier than it should have been.

Third season... well, did he even have much difficulty then, other than lame excuses? They could have easily stuck with "it's really hard, and when you go back in time you will NOT go precisely where you intended!"

Heck, Future Hiro from first season spent YEARS trying to figure out how to fix things. Five years, and then going back he still had difficulty. That level of difficulty, where Hiro has to spend an entire season trying to figure out WHAT to change in the first place, and the threat isn't even whether he succeeds once he goes, but whether he can find out what to change in the first place?

That might be helpful.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
But... little Hiro was so cute!

The storyline did kind of suck, though, even if Hiro's mom was one of the best characters I'd seen on the show in a while.

Anyone else missing Worf as President?

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Hiro's nosebleeds arent bad if he can get an injection from blood from claire.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Okay, I finished watching it and I like it better now, so long as I pretend that Hiro (and probably Claire) don't exist.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm wondering if the Hiro we saw in the first season, the one who wore black, had a sword, came from the future, and spoke excellent English with no accent will ever appear again, or if he's been destroyed by subsequent meddlings with the time line. We know that he existed in many different time lines, up to the point where Ando zapped him with his magic red lightning stuff.

At this point, I'd be okay with current Hiro being magically replaced by future Hiro that we thought was a badass.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes please. Have Hiro mess with the past and accidentally erase himself from the timeline to be replaced by the badass Hiro.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I'm wondering if the Hiro we saw in the first season, the one who wore black, had a sword, came from the future, and spoke excellent English with no accent will ever appear again, or if he's been destroyed by subsequent meddlings with the time line. We know that he existed in many different time lines, up to the point where Ando zapped him with his magic red lightning stuff.

At this point, I'd be okay with current Hiro being magically replaced by future Hiro that we thought was a badass.

Nono the Hiro Ando zapped was our Hiro just with a sword.
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they already got there before me. There have been many very powerful and reasonably intelligent superheroes in books and movies....even compelling ones. The trick is to give them a challenge that lives up to their abilities, not to dumb them down and give them random nose bleeds.

But I think the biggest weakness with Heroes all along has been that there are too many heroes with wildly different levels of ability that have never come together in any meaningful way. They are still each on their own petty journeys. I thought last season they would try to build toward X-men, but it didn't happen.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think the problem with X-Men in our discussion of Heroes is that the X-Men seemed to be able to take a lot more punishment than the average person and still come out relatively unscathed, whereas in Heroes, you have to break bones and bleed. Furthermore, they had aliens, sentinels, and a host of other baddies that the X-Men could use for powers fodder, but it's also human on human in Heroes.

We need some sentinels to mow down. Or those robo-soldiers from Genosha.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Inherent problem with that is this little thing called the "special effects budget." That said, I think they're heading in a good direction for this season, setting up the Carnival as a host of various superhumans who will at least temporarily play the roll of villain.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

did the girl claire was rumored to be having a schoolgirl lesbian relationship this season die already or is that the other girl?
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I was assuming the other girl (ironically I had heard nothing of the rumors but was getting that sort of vibe from them anyway). So far I'm trying to decide whether the remaining girl is incredibly creepy or not. She's all gung ho about solving the murder, but somehow I get the impression she might have been the one to kill the over-achiever-girl, in a weird effort to get closer to Claire.

I only really got that impression during the scene when she came into Claire's room and sat on the other girl's bed (moving in on the territory). Since then... I'm not sure. But something about her just strikes me as off. (Could just be mediocre acting).

I actually WANT to like the new girl (she's funny and cute in a nerdy way) but something just creeps me out.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I'm praying she becomes a Yandere, they're awesome AWESOME characters, see Yuno for details.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Yandere

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

...okay, that seems more creepy and annoying than awesome to me, but to each his own.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Indeed.

Though of course, deeply creepy characters have their place.

Not that I suppose the incessant tvtropes links, however.

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Sylar is deeply creepy but in a way I love. The new girl is borderline creepy in a way I do not. (Right now she's not that bad, she either needs to become creepy in a cooler way or less creepy, IMO)
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
The girl-on girl rumor started at Comic-Con, during the Heroes QnA and people are asking whatsername why she was up there and Panatierre fielded the question mostly and well... I dont think the girl is all that good at un-scripted statements and the crowd took thier own assumption as to what she meant by "Claire's finnally got a good friend, a really special friend for once" I wouldnt be complaining if they did get together. Atleast it would be one way to explain why whatsername is so lurky.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
MY thoughts on the first episode:

Claire: Useless character. The problem is they cant get rid of her because she is immortal. Good game on that one

Bennett: Almost gets drowned, gets sliced up, and is divorced from his wife. Sounds like the writers hate him.

Denko: The one character I HOPED would come back and have some sort of power is now gone forever. [Frown]

Matt: Love that he is back with his family, but way too much tripping out. I could have lived with half that much "Fight Club" esque dialog.

Nathan: The premier had the perfect amount. Not a ton, but just enough.

Hiro: As long as he uses his powers to go back and save Charlie, I'm cool with it.

Robert Kneppers character/carnival posse: I like them. I don't think they are evil, just doing what they feel is right for survival or the world.

Angela Petrelli: She annoyed me in this episode, because she seemed desperate. In the past seasons she never seemed that desperate.

Sylar: Less Fight Club, more Head slicing please.

Baby Matt Parkman: Cute kid

Water Boy: Made me want to watch Encino Man for some strange reason.

Peter: Finally he is being written well again. I really hope he is everntually able to absorb more than one at a time and raise his power level to OVER 9000! (I couldn't resist)

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

the new guy at the carnival did he have 2 powers?
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we just kill everyone but the carnies off and have a new show centered around them? Everything else about this program sucks. My kids and I continue watching it just to make jokes about how stupidly convoluted it's gotten.
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unmaker:
Can we just kill everyone but the carnies off and have a new show centered around them? Everything else about this program sucks. My kids and I continue watching it just to make jokes about how stupidly convoluted it's gotten.

Your Mileage may Vary.
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Why on God's green earth did you capitalize mileage and vary in that sentence?

Or right. It's capitalized on tvtropes. [Big Grin]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Why on God's green earth did you capitalize mileage and vary in that sentence?

Or right. It's capitalized on tvtropes. [Big Grin]

Boom Headshot.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Sorry, Heroes. I ain't falling for you again.

Thrice bitten, finally shy.

I stopped watching in the middle of last (or was it the season before last -- I forget) when i realized after watching an episode that not only did I no longer know who was on whose side, but that I didn't even care.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.