FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dragon Age: Origins- Wheel of Time, the game. (Page 0)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins- Wheel of Time, the game.
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
*nod* Yeah, there's a quest line through him. Either you need a high Deft Hands or a high Stealing to work for him.

If you have high stealth he will also work with you
Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aeolusdallas
Member # 11455

- posted      Profile for aeolusdallas   Email aeolusdallas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
Is anyone else having a hard time finding specialization trainers? My elf mage is now lvl 9 and I still haven't found a trainer for my first specialization.

What training are you looking for? Only 2 (Champion and Reaver) are difficult to get the others are all pretty easy. Duelist requires talking to a lady in the capitol and all the others are either books you can buy or talking to your party members.
Edit
If you are making a Blood mage then you want to dump a lot of points into Con. Because you will be drawing from your hit points to power spells. If you want to make a shape shifter then put points into str. You will need it to wear armor and wield good weapons. You shape shifted forms use those items to figure out your stats.
Arcane Warrior has already been given a great rundown in this thread.

Posts: 305 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Shapeshifter is the most worthless spec tree in the game. Do not take it.

Yeah, took all four abilities with Morrigan, and it's pretty underpowered. I'll occasionally use bear form when I'm out of mana, but even then it's pretty weak.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Love the game so far, but I went to the forest after hitting the mage tower, so I am having a bit of trouble wiht the end of the Forest Catacombs. I can win most of the battles, but it took almost all of the healing pots I had, and I tried it with Morrigan rather than Wynne, so I think I am screwed.

I am a mage, and I have Allister, Lianna, and Morrigan with me. I killed the big monster and got his stash, so I have some gold now, but I am miles from any town. [Frown]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
So, when I play and beat an game, I like to feel like I earned my victory. I don't like setting a game to normal unless it is going to present a real challenge for me. I'm not saying I like to die repeatedly, but I like to be forced to use my brain and skill.

So, that being said, do you recommend normal or hard for playing this? I am not an expert gamer, but I have played both Neverwinter Nights and SWKotOR, as well as several other rpgs. SWKotOR could have been a little bit more of challenge for me on the normal setting, but it wasn't always easy.

I want to try playing Dragon Age on hard, but I don't want to have to become an expert on D&D rules to be able to beat it.

FYI, my current character, who is still in the Mage's tower, is an elf mage. I am leaning toward becoming an arcane warrior. Also, given all the talk about mages being too powerful in this game, I don't want the game to be too easy for me given that I am a mage.

As I'm typing this, I realize that I don't know if you can change difficulty levels without starting a new game. I won't be at home for a couple days to play the game again and check this, so can you change difficulty levels after starting a game? I am currently set to Normal.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I want to try playing Dragon Age on hard, but I don't want to have to become an expert on D&D rules to be able to beat it.
The game's mechanics don't use D&D rules at all, so .. you're safe on that front.

Anyway, if you play the game on hard, it'll be hard, unless you're the kind of person who could wander through Baldur's Gate in his sleep. And yes, you can change the difficulty setting in-game.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

Yah, I just assumed it was based on D&D due to all the talk about it earlier in the thread, though I just glanced through all the talk about updated rules. I am not familiar with the more technical aspects of the rules.

So, what is the game based on, or did they just create a unique rule system?

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It isn't DnD at all, btw.

It isn;t easy or hard on normal, but it all depends on what type of gamer you are, I guess. I like puzzles, and tactics seems like a puzzle to me, at least a little bit.

I am playing on normal, and it wasn't too hard until I went to the wrong area without pots. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I played Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and KOTOR and KOTOR2. I'm playing DA:O on hard. Overall, I find most of the trash mobs of average difficulty. On the boss fights, I seem to be just squeaking by, by the seat of my pants.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Normal mode is hard enough that you will feel as if you have earned your victories. It's not hard to use the right strategy most of the time, but you WILL have to use strategy or you will fail, and a lot of times the harder fights took me one or two tries to figure out what the right strategy was.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

I think I am going to change to hard, and if I find myself dying too often, I will just change it back.

So, on a subject related to difficulty, do any of you have a personal philosophy on how often to save in a game that allows you to save almost anytime? I like to save often, but sometimes I feel like I am cheating to get in the habit of saving everywhere. It almost seems to minimize the impact of dying, yet I still find myself saving a lot.

I think I have OCD when it comes to saving. Even when I am typing a Word document, I find myself automatically hitting ctrl+s after every phrase I type, or every time I pause to think. I think, over the years, Microsoft has trained me to never trust my computer to remain ON beyond the next 6 seconds.

Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
I at least quicksave after every fight. There are way too many games that I want to play (and things outside of gaming I want to do), to waste too much time redoing sections over and over.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm finding normal to be a bit of a challenge, with a rogue (PC), two warriors, and a mage.

However, in retrospect for quite awhile there were many things I wasn't doing very efficiently, and the longer I've played the easier it's gotten. Though some of that is normal in games of course:) Getting Wynne the Spirit Healer cranked up in Cleansing Aura makes even the biggest trash-mob fight no problem at all, because with two warriors aggro-grabbing, she hardly ever gets targeted.

I think with another mage, I could handle Hard or maybe even Nightmare difficulty, though it would be...err, well harder:) That and knowing what I know now sort of thing. I'm not sure I'd pick another Rogue at all to be honest. I can't recall any extraordinary loot for example I've gotten from chests or unlocked doors, and stealth and backstab while nice are mitigated by having a character with maxxed out awareness who can see almost all the big fights coming anyway. One or especially two warriors offer all the stunning, debuffing, and knockdown capability a party would ever need in melee.

One thing that chaps my ass, though, is that my L18 Rogue with extremely high cunning and better-than-average Willpower, and maxxed out awareness (or whatever that skill is called) still gets surprised by the pre-planned stealth mobs. Even when they're lower level than I am.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been feeling a little iffy about the extent to which saving is necessary. I guess what I don't like is how many situations will basically automatically kill your party the first time through unless you are insanely careful about where you're going, and then the second time through I feel like cheating because I already know where to position my party.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Same here...although I don't let that stop me from doing it. [Wink]
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

So, after not getting two more measly corpse gall despite doing scads of side quests and everything Orzammar related, I turned in my 16 - not the extra-reward-getting-18 - galls to the Chanter.

SPOILER

I then move on to the Forest. Guess what's there?

SPOILER

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Wow, Haste and Cleansing Aura makes even the toughest fights...well, pretty easy actually.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hooking myself up with a mod community to get my ideas passed off onto a popular overhaul.

I want a mod that makes it so that you can turn off the visibility of your helm. A mod that retools dex bonuses to damage, a mod that retools what spells an arcane warrior can cast without putting his weapon away (or at least makes it so that weapon drawing is not automatic at the start of combat) and a mod that retools the major problem with mages: 2/3rds underwhelming choices, 1/3rd overwhelming choices.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I don't even have cone of cold, I had no idea how useful it was......I'll have to get it next level.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Amen to turning off helm visibility. I can't tell my characters apart anymore.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Well, for me it's helpful that one is a female mage, one a female rogue, one a male warrior with sword and shield, and the last a towering qunari man with a greatsword;)

SPOILER

I was somewhat disappointed with Arl Howe's demise. It seemed sloppy storytelling to me. For one thing, he appeared completely untroubled by coming to a showdown with my character and her party, a quartet by now that has been tearing all over Ferelden through literally hundreds of darkspawn and hundreds of other enemies. Some of those exploits have to have been known to him.

For another, his rants didn't really explain anything-he alluded to the idea that my character's father was somehow a traitor to Ferelden, but in all this time playing I'd never heard anything but good things about him from other people, to say nothing of what I saw of him in the beginning. How was he able to nurse such crazy, hateful animosity without being suspected?

I mean, guys like that-backstabbing opportunists-they don't fight the conquering heroes, or at least not as a first resort. I was expecting some pleading or some extortion or something!

SPOILER

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Gaaah!!!! Friggin Revenant! (Just spent an hour trying to beat the courtyard in Redcliffe Castle, gave up for the night)
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I've also noticed that, for now, fighting is a lot more successful when Liliana's tactics consist of "draw a lot of aggro. Then run around, keeping the boss and his friends out of the fight for as long as possible. Then die."
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
Gaaah!!!! Friggin Revenant! (Just spent an hour trying to beat the courtyard in Redcliffe Castle, gave up for the night)

The Gallant Knight and his tank buddies would like to remind you that they told you they would be waiting right outside the courtyard, ready to rush in the second you pull the lever to open the courtyard door.
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:

The Gallant Knight and his tank buddies would like to remind you that they told you they would be waiting right outside the courtyard, ready to rush in the second you pull the lever to open the courtyard door.
Yeah, I busted my ass to finish that fight, only to remember that afterwards. [Grumble]
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Stuff I've written about the game:

quote:
The unfortunate issue regarding DA:O's class imbalance is that mages are overpowered in a way which is not readily fixable. The spells list is a minmaxer's dream, with any given character easily capable of filling up on all the blatantly overpowered spells (Cone of Cold, Force Field, etc) by the early to mid game and having little else to look forward to; fully two-thirds of the spells you can pick are spells you would never use even if you had them, because they aren't even worth spending your mana on when you have options like Crushing Prison.

Secondly, their specialization trees suffer from the same phenomenon. A character that goes Arcane Warrior + Blood Mage has made the "right" choice under most every circumstance, because Shapeshifter is utterly useless and Spirit Healer is a narrow-focus choice primarily for dedicated healers and doesn't mesh too well with incorporation into hybrid roles.

Other classes' specialization trees can only dream of powers as radically powerful and transformative as Combat Magic or Blood Wound.

Combat Magic is an example of a power which is ostensibly balanced by the imposition of a practical effect, but the imposition is easily sidestepped. In this case, the benefit is mostly that you get to wear armor, fight in melee, and escape the terrible itemization of mage gear, but the 'cost' you're supposed to have is that the upkeep of Combat Magic will jack your fatigue level into the 50-60% range easily, making it so that you have traded the bulk of your spell pool for the opportunity to wear armor and fight in melee. Were a character to leave Combat Magic active at all times, they would have only two or three spells per fight before they have essentially exhausted their entire mana pool.

Yet an Arcane Warrior can simply not leave Combat Magic on. They can start every battle wielding a staff, use their entire mana pool with only slightly less efficacy than a 'pure' mage, then once they've expended their mana pool, they can simply toggle on Combat Magic and all related sustainables and indulge themselves in all the benefits with few of the costs. Threat generation is simply not a concern; Arcane Warriors have the most dramatic damage reduction in the game, and most nuke-mages want to build up as much aggro as possible on themselves anyway. Their dramatic AoE threat generation plus Force Field can make them the ultimate tanks, as Dragon Age's enemy AI is silly and even the bosses will hammer impotently at invincible characters.

This leads to paradoxical tactics for people working through the game on the harder difficulties, outside of the homogenized Cone of Cold shatterfests that define 90% of all encounters.

It will be interesting to see how Bioware adjusts the game in the coming months. They may assume that with the public toolkit release and the modding community, they simply don't need to change anything for the core game. Well, that's not likely. They really do have to do a lot to bring mages down and bring rogues up.

Oh, and give people the option to turn their helms invisible.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That bordered on nerd rage, Sam. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

lol
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Spoilers about Loghain:

SPOILER

Boy, the way the whole thing with Loghain and Alistair worked out is in one way very cool. I like games with hard choices, after all. Loghain getting shunted into the Grey Wardens as punishment/chance at redemption is good storytelling.

Alistair getting outraged (justifiably) and abandoning Ferelden, on the other hand, was not. I could see him saying, "Screw you and the horse you rode in on, Elissa," and going to intense dislike, but it really just didn't fit his character for him to leave entirely.

SPOILER

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER

*nod* I agree. In fact, my "saintly" ending was exactly that: I recruited Loghain, and allowed him to sacrifice himself instead of letting myself die. I was rather irritated that Alistair did not consider this to be a good act, because I'm convinced it's actually the win/win ending. (I set up Alistair as king sort of as an apology; I figure he'll forgive me when he's older.)

SPOILER

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I wasn't so much irritated at the character's reaction. It was, after all, very plausible if done differently. But that particular reaction, the way it was presented, felt railroaded.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
That bordered on nerd rage, Sam. [Wink]

Haha. I thought I disclaimered that this is an absolutely great game. My job's to hammer pedantically at issues of game system balance adjustment and analyze how generally competently or incompetently they are managed.

Bioware's management of dao is particularly important to look at since they're ushering in the era of immediate downloadable everything. Prompt toolkit release, updates for everything, even the console releases.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

and before anyone says anything

quote:
My job
literal. i get paid for it, it's pretty sweet
TomDavidson
Member # 124

So do you find that there's a different skillset required of pros as opposed to dedicated amateurs? [Smile]
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

Where do you work?
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

SPOILERS

So, the final dragon fight on Normal difficulty was pretty easy, though Wynne did have to suck down several potent lyrium potions what with Haste and Cleansing Aura being run nonstop. In fact the entire endgame in Denerim was easy-I never used even one of my armies until the very end, and that was more for novelty than anything else. Every single bad guy was going down literally in one shot, at least all the grunts which was most of them. I wonder if on hard difficulty the enemies change? That would be some potentially tough fighting, if instead of Hurlock grunts they were ordinary Hurlocks. They'd go down quickly, but not so quickly I'd be changing targets as quickly as I could click the mouse.

I had Flemeth & Morrigan's plan all wrong as it turns out. Didn't see that coming until there got to be hints late in the game that some additional Gray Warden sacrifices would be needed. I thought Flemeth sent Morrigan out strictly in order to have a tougher, more powerful body to take over when the time came, assuming that she actually steals their body as opposed to sacrificing it somehow to rejuvenate herself.

The way Morrigan left was very promising for sequels, but dissatisfying from my near-saintly perspective, from a storytelling point of view. I mean, every inch of the way, almost, my character has been toeing the Grey Warden/good guy line, showing no reluctance to risk or sacrifice myself. In fact the only substantive deviation was killing Loghain. But then along comes Morrigan. "Hey, buddy old pal ole friend of mine, listen, forget all that destroying the archdemon stuff. Instead, give it to me in the form of a malleable human baby! Oh, and don't ask any questions or expect to have even the slightest involvement in either raising or watching over this child-just trust me, the one who had this evil plan from the very beginning. Also, couldya get your lover to impregnate me in a dark ritual, and thus father my human infant sacrifice?

Me: Ummmm...no, Morrigan, I'm not going to do any of that.

Morrigan: Well, go to hell then! I'm leaving, screw this!

Was baffling more than distressing story-wise.

SPOILER

I'm wondering if a Mage can be effective with Coercion. My Rogue could, since it was tied to cunning and of course she had gobs of that. But it's a dump state Mage-wise.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I actually wonder what would happen if you didn't give Morrigan Flemeth's grimoire.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
So do you find that there's a different skillset required of pros as opposed to dedicated amateurs? [Smile]

If you explain what you mean a little better, I probably have a good answer.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Hmmm. That's an interesting question, Tom.

On the other hand, this appears to have been a pre-arranged plan between Flemeth and Morrigan from the very start-so I suspect this ending is on rails.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I believe someone mentioned it here, but apparently specializations when unlocked are unlocked across all characters on that particular profile, because I just dinged 7 and have access to Spirit Healer, even though I only met Wynne in my origin, and Arcane Warrior, even though I never went to the place to get that, either.

I'm debating whether or not to just take it now well in advance of the time I could actually obtain it, saying to hell with it to balance, or to keep it real, hehe. It would be fun wearing all the armors, since as a Rogue I was limited too.

SPOILER

As a male mage, it was very easy to get involved with Morrigan, heh. In fact, I did so immediately after leaving Flemeth's Hut, at the 'random' encounter where you pick up the dog. This was made easier by the fact that there are already a few items at that point in the game that can be given as gifts to her.

The strange thing, though, is that while at first she said she would teach me Shapeshifting - I even got the notification that it was unlocked - when I accidentally clicked on that later, I got the same reaction as if I'd pissed her off, despite being in a relationship with her, having approval at the mid-60s, and her already having unlocked it for me. Weird.

I don't think I'll take it anyway though, because it just doesn't look that useful. Only four measly animals to change into? Pft.

Discovering spell combinations is fun:)

SPOILER

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Only four measly animals to change into? Pft.

3, the last ability just makes them stronger.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
While shapeshifter is lackluster, I have found Ranger to be quite useful. It's not a powerhouse, but it's great to have an extra meatshield.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Man, on Hard difficulty the game while playing with a mage as the PC is really not much more difficult at all than on Normal difficulty. Maybe even a bit easier, in fact. I may crank it up to nightmare during this playthrough.
Kwea
Member # 2199

Just finished the Forest section, out of order I think, and I headed to Redcliff.

I seemed to kill all of the enemies, but all of the guys near the Chantry died. Yet the game won't advance past this...I have covered all of the map, even, but can't find what I misses.

I DID forget to talk to the head of the Chantry, but I had already asked her blessing.....do I have to restart from before the fighting again?

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Kwea,

There's not exactly a necessary order for the three alliances, though Alistair does if I remember correctly lean you towards Redcliffe. You won't have hurt anything by going to the Brecilian Forest first, in fact I think that's the shortest of all four stops (counting Redcliffe) by a substantial amount.

You may get quests from the Chanters' Boards and other places that take you back there, though.

As for your question about the fight, you mean the second stage of the 'defend against zombies' fight, right? I had a similar problem with the first stage - it wouldn't advance - and others have had odd non-starting problems, too. I ended up replaying it.

SUGGESTION-SPOILER

Going to the Circle of Magi first is really a good idea. I can elaborate if you like. You can even reload before the Redcliffe fight and just head to the Circle from there, disregarding the whole 'we're doomed tonight' business if you choose.

SPOILER

Kwea
Member # 2199

I did the Tower mission first, and have Wynne in my possible group.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Oh, I see-I misread you to be saying you did the forest section first:)

If you've got Wynne in your group, you ought to consider having her heal the NPCs as well, or at least those you want saved such as possibly Murdock or Tomas. And if she's high enough to have Cleansing Aura, it works on all friendlies.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

One thing I'm not a fan of about this game is its inventory system. There are a good number of items I discover while I play that, for whatever reason, I don't want to get rid of, but you don't even get a chest in camp to store things in without an expansion. The only real option is to sell it to a vendor, but then you have to buy it back at a serious expense. That's not a problem for trivial things like gifts for characters you either don't have yet or don't need yet, but for things like an armor set that increases one form of elemental resistance, but not much else, there's nothing. Or class-specific items.

Finally in frustration I took to looking up the necessary stuff to access the console and add money-not to buy things I couldn't afford, but to buy back things I couldn't afford.

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
There's an add-on that puts a chest in your camp.

link

Also if you have the Warden's keep DLC there is another storage chest there.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I figured there would be add-ons, I was just gonna wait a little while - give `em time to be used by tons of people - before I snapped one up. Just got the DLC, though, and that chest not only isn't in your camp, it has a maximum capacity.

ETA: But thanks for the tip, MEC:)

[ November 28, 2009, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Rakeesh ]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.