FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The serious argument as to why Lisa should be banned from this forum (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The serious argument as to why Lisa should be banned from this forum
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look at this quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
I can't believe no one has mentioned Milanos or Thin Mints. Or Mint Milanos, which are the ultimate cookie.

This is exactly the sort of shameless, ugly, patronizing commentary that should never be accepted in civilized

um

um, in civilized

uhhhhhhh crap, nevermind. she's totally right.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
man i am going to go get some right now
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Armoth
Member # 4752

- posted      Profile for Armoth   Email Armoth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hahahaha...

It's so funny that you isolated that suggestion, bc when I read it in the other thread, I wrote it off...But now, I have SUCH a craving. Cya'll I'm heading to the store.

Posts: 1604 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what the context of that was, but I'm having a craving now myself!
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I am posting in this high quality thread (and daydreaming about Mint Milanos...)
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had mint milanos! How have I missed this! I must go get some.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's all about double chocolate milanos which they don't make anymore.
Which is sad as chocolate needs to be pure and doesn't need mint or fruit in it but MORE CHOCOLATE!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am posting in this high quality thread (and daydreaming about Mint Milanos...)

Blasphemy! Orange Milanos are the best.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not like Girl Scout cookies.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*twitch*
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:

More for me!
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I've just been rickrolled.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike:
quote:

Blasphemy! Orange Milanos are the best.
It is a difficult call. Orange and Mint Milanos are both awesome.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it weird how thoughts of certain foods can take you back in time? The first time I had Mint Milanos I was 16. My (then) boyfriend introduced me to them because they sold them at the snack bar in the building where he had his Political Science class. They still make me remember sitting outside his classroom on Thursday evenings reading Star Wars novels. :-)
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
We call them "potato chip cookies" because my sister's kids called them that. I like orange better than mint. They have raspberry, too.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Raspberry is nice, but not on par with mint or orange.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I am shocked that this kind of blatant prejudice against the gluten intolerant is tolerated here at hatrack.

Isn't it enough that we can never again eat Milanos or girl scout cookies. Must you rub it in?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I've never had the orange ones. KitKat put out a limited edition of orange flavored KitKats some years ago, and they were delish.

I tried the double chocolate Milanos, but the proportions were off for my taste. I'd choose regular Milanos over probably any cookie in the world except for Mint Milanos.

The day Pepperage Farm went kosher was an even happier one than the day Oreos went kosher. At least for me.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for reminding me about Oreos. Knowing I will never feel obliged to eat another Orea is one of the few perks of being gluten intolerant. Oreos are vile.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I've never had the orange ones.

Bizarre. The supermarkets here always have them.

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Oreos are vile.

AMEN!
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
I've never had the orange ones.

Bizarre. The supermarkets here always have them.
<shrug> Maybe it's a California thing.

quote:
quote:
Oreos are vile.

AMEN!
When I was a kid, long before they came up with Double Stuff, I used to make my own double Oreos. Sometimes I'd just say the hell with the cookies, scrape the middle out of half a dozen of them, roll it into a ball and snack on it.

But have you tried the mint Oreos? Much, much better.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thanks for reminding me about Oreos. Knowing I will never feel obliged to eat another Orea is one of the few perks of being gluten intolerant. Oreos are vile.

You just don't remember how good they are. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

O contraire. I remember quite well how vile they are.

Years ago, when I first met my SIL, I made a crack about how horrid Oreos are (flavorless rock hard black cookies filled with sugar lard frosting, blickk). She took deep offense for which I have still not been forgiven. For years there after I felt obliged to eat Oreos when they were offered despite their vileness. But now I can polite say, "No, I'm gluten intolerant" and I never have to eat another Oreo.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Years ago, when I first met my SIL, I made a crack about how horrid Oreos are (flavorless rock hard black cookies filled with sugar lard frosting, blickk). She took deep offense for which I have still not been forgiven. For years there after I felt obliged to eat Oreos when they were offered despite their vileness. But now I can polite say, "No, I'm gluten intolerant" and I never have to eat another Oreo.

Lactose intolerant people also hate Oreos. It's the same reason for why bread bereft of butter and butter bereft of bread are inadvisable.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
So Rabbit, I'm trying to figure out whether your offense was in holding the opinion that Oreos are vile, or in expressing that opinion after she offered them to you? If the latter, I can get why she was put out (although never forgiving such a minor offense is clearly not a good way to maintain family relations). If the former, I'll bet she's one of those people who walks around in a perpetual state of umbrage.

I love the little lardy black things. But I try not to eat them around other people because I always end up w/ black stuff in my teeth.

And Orange Milanos chilled in the fridge are scrumptious.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I am intolerant of neither gluten nor lactose, and Oreos are HORRIBLE and NASTY. And the very notion of deliberately eating extra of the vile Crisco-plus-powdered-sugar-nastiness they call a filling made me gag.

I've had the mint. It doesn't help much. Nasty + mint is still nasty.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

I'm with you that the double-stuffed aren't my favorite. But I still like Oreos.

Now if you want HORRIBLE and NASTY - how about cotton candy? (shudder)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Cotton candy is one of those things I like once every 12-24 months, at a fair or other outdoor activity.

More often than that, and it becomes unpalatable.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I can't stand cotton candy, licorice though is probably hands down the most disgusting confection I know of.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
licorice though is probably hands down the most disgusting confection I know of.

Assuming you mean the black stuff, I'm with you.

The red can be good.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:
licorice though is probably hands down the most disgusting confection I know of.

Assuming you mean the black stuff, I'm with you.

The red can be good.

I had such a terrible experience with red, I had to believe black was just as bad. I know it's wrong to have come to such a snap judgment but I don't know if I could build up the courage to put the stuff in my mouth again.
rivka
Member # 4859

The black is nasty because of taste, not texture. And black and red have VERY different flavors.
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there should be different words for the cookies that are sold in bulk (oreo, thin mint, milano) and the type that are baked at home (chocolate chip, oatmeal, peanut butter, snickerdoodle etc). They are so far removed from each other that they shouldn't even have the same name. I can hardly stomach most commercially baked cookies of any description, but love love LOVE home baked (or fresh bakery like Great Harvest-baked) cookies.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Mint Milanos are good but have you tried the Mint Brussels? Now those are heavenly.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Agreed.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by maui babe:
I think there should be different words for the cookies that are sold in bulk (oreo, thin mint, milano) and the type that are baked at home (chocolate chip, oatmeal, peanut butter, snickerdoodle etc). They are so far removed from each other that they shouldn't even have the same name.

I agree 100%. I think we should borrow from the brits and call the hard dry mass produced kind "biscuits" and the soft chewy home baked kind "cookies". I do actually like many of the hard dry boxed cookies, but you are correct that they really have very little in common with a good soft chewy delicious home made cookie.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Wendybird:
Mint Milanos are good but have you tried the Mint Brussels? Now those are heavenly.

Just what I don't need. One more heavenly food I can never even try.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From Lisa:
But have you tried the mint Oreos? Much, much better.

Amen to that. They're little discs of minty goodness, but the local grocery stores around here seem to only stock them as a holiday item. They aren't here year round.

I'm not a huge fan of normal Oreos, but those are the best.

As far as cookies you can buy, I've never had a Milano, but nothing beats a Samoa as far as I'm concerned. When they came out with Samoa ice cream, it was the best day ever.

For home made cookies: Molasses cookies and pumpkin cookies are the best. The absolute best. Anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. Wrong.

[Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone should invent a gluten free Oreo.

[Evil]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I always used to roll my eyes at work (I work at a restaurant) whenever a server would ask me what our gluten free options were. Really, other than salad, we didn't have that many, and the ones we do have are a huge pain in the butt to prepare.

But then last year my future sister in law was diagnosed with Celiac's, which means no gluten. I never realized just how limited their options were, or how much of an insensitive jerk I was being.

[/mea culpa]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason heavenly foods you can't try are so heavenly is that you only know of the ideal, and can't partake of the real. What's true is that ideal cookies always taste far better than real ones. So, the answer is clearly to eat virtual cookies, which contain no gluten and have all the taste properties of ideal cookies, i.e. perfection!

(tosses out large zip-lock bags filled with virtual cookies of every description)

Here, enjoy!

P.S They're also cheaper and have no calories. How can you beat perfection such as that?

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
As far as cookies you can buy, I've never had a Milano, but nothing beats a Samoa as far as I'm concerned. When they came out with Samoa ice cream, it was the best day ever.

True.

Although the fact that you like Oreos make me hesitate to agree with you. [Razz]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Someone should invent a gluten free Oreo.

[Evil]

Shhh! It's been done Shhh!

Luckily, no one has offered these to me yet. But some day some one is going to go out of their way to get me a gluten free treat and buy these. And it will be such a considerate thing to do that I will feel obliged to eat them, no matter how nasty they turn out to be.

It is a real problem. It hasn't happened with these cookies yet, but it has happened with other gluten free items. And the thing is, that I really do appreciate it when people go out of their way to get something gluten free for me. Its very thoughtful and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy when people do it. Its such a pity when it goes a rye either because they've purchased something nasty or because they've purchased something that isn't actually gluten free. If the problem is simply that the product is nasty, I eat it because I really do appreciate the effort. When the product turns out to contain gluten, its a much bigger problem because even though I really appreciate the effort -- I'm not willing to poison my self to show it.

scifibum
Member # 7625

"goes a rye" grain pun! Nice.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

BTW, I just had a fantastic idea for your Christmas present, Rabbit. If you'll email me with your mailing address. *whistles innocently*
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Silly Rabbit. That's not how it's spelt.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Fairly decent cookies can be made gluten free out of rice flour, tapioca flour, etc. But they still can't make a decent gluten-free bread substitute. Rice flour just produces a texture that is too heavy. I can lighten it a little by adding pure corn starch, but it still is not adequate. Adding a little flax seed improves rice-based bread somewhat, as well. But there simply is no substitute for gluten, and it is the gluten that is needed to make light and fluffy and tastey bread.

As for your wheat-based Oreos--us Celiacs can't eat your Hobbit food!

Speaking of presents--silly Rabbi, kicks are for Trids.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
As for your wheat-based Oreos--us Celiacs can't eat your Hobbit food!
Does this mean that the sweeter we are to you, the more out of sorts you'd get?
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Jon Boy, I can barley understand what you are talking about.
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Lactose intolerant people also hate Oreos. It's the same reason for why bread bereft of butter and butter bereft of bread are inadvisable.
I am pretty sure Oroes are dairy free. Not that it matter to me, becasue they are vile. Give me Trader Joe's Joe-Joe's anyday.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.