FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Local dad spoke only Klingon to child for three years (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Local dad spoke only Klingon to child for three years
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Link.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang immigrants refusing to teach their children English!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Klingon have words for love, banana, tummy, etc? If not I think it's a terrible thing to wait so long to teach your child those concepts.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Klingon appears to be a difficult language
According to the dictionary, love translates as 'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)

/single.asp, line 24'

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
A driver error by any other name / would smell as sweet;
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
[geek]

The Klingon word for love is bang.

And the word for tummy (as stomach or belly)is burgh and chor respectively.

There seems to be no word for banana. Although, if I were a Klingon and never saw a banana, I would probably pronounce it banana, but with a guttural accent.

Working Klingon Translator

[/geek]

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite part is the caption... "This is not d'Armond Speers."
Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
HAHA
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Using your child as a lab rat to sell software.

Wow.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Duh. He has confused Klingon with Ferengi.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the wife is Ferengi.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
The dad spoke Klingon. His wife spoke English. It's not like the child's been deprived of anything. Also, the kid's in high school now AND doesn't ever speak Klingon. I think he's fine.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps he doesn't speak Klingon, but could he if he wanted to?
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:

Wow.

The blog post is a bit misleading on that point. The article that it links to makes it pretty clear that the timeline is more like "Speers tries to teach his kid to speak Klingon natively" -> ten or more years pass -> "Ultralingua is looking for a Klingon consultant, hears that Speers has experience with the language, and contacts him."

Whether using your kid as a lab rat just to satisfy your own curiosity is better is an open question, I guess.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
"His wife spoke English."

I don't know why this didn't occur to me.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ambyr, thanks for the clarification.

But yeah, I'm not so hepped on kid as lab rat, regardless.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I wouldn't be myself, but I do have to wonder: how much will the kid be hampered by this in life? If there's anyone capable of 'catching up' the kid, so to speak, on speaking English as a native language while the kid is still toddling around, I think it would be this guy.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would he necessarily be hampered? If he grew up hearing and learning 2 languages, my guess is he'll be just fine - in fact, if he has an interest in language I bet it will have helped him.

Audrey hears English and Spanish daily - she's not talking yet, so I don't know if she'll start speaking both, but she certainly understands both at this point.

Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Well, it's possible he might be hampered by only hearing one language, not two, for the first three years of his life-a made up language not used for anything about actually living and making one's way in the world, that is.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
That's ridiculous. Now, if Dad had only spoken Sindarin - it would have been at least ten levels of awesome. [Wink]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Bilingual kids do learn languages more slowly, but IIRC, by about age 5 they are as fluent as they monolingual peers.
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah! Sindarin... uncouth yokels. Quenya is the language of the gods.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
My father spoke Norwegian to me when I was a kid, and my mother English. Assertions like "I turned out ok" are of course a bit dangerous, but at least linguistically I think this one might be safe. [Smile]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I believe bilingual kids have been shown to have a greater ability to pick up new languages later in life, and have a greater understanding of how language works, so it could be a perk.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Well, it's possible he might be hampered by only hearing one language, not two, for the first three years of his life-a made up language not used for anything about actually living and making one's way in the world, that is.

Sure, hypothetically, but that didn't happen in this case.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Hank:
Actually, I believe bilingual kids have been shown to have a greater ability to pick up new languages later in life, and have a greater understanding of how language works, so it could be a perk.

I am unconvinced that a language like Klingon, with an artificial grammar and syntax, and an extremely limited vocabulary, would have this benefit.

It's worse than making your kid's "second language" Esperanto!

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
At least the dad was involved with his kid. That's a big plus.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Good point, Shmuel, my bad. I meant to say that if he had actually heard only Klingon for the first three years of his life, this particular guy, if anyone could, would be capable of mitigating any bad consequences, y'know?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am unconvinced that a language like Klingon, with an artificial grammar and syntax, and an extremely limited vocabulary, would have this benefit.

It may be artificial, but it's modeled on real languages and has a pretty complex system of grammar, including a lot of concepts that are quite foreign to English speakers. It does seem that the vocabulary could be quite limiting, however.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Does Klingon have words for love, banana, tummy, etc? If not I think it's a terrible thing to wait so long to teach your child those concepts.

At what age do you think you should start to teach children about their "love banana"?
(Are we even allowed to use the term "love banana" around here?)

Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
It may be artificial, but it's modeled on real languages and has a pretty complex system of grammar, including a lot of concepts that are quite foreign to English speakers.

Which is why I compared it to Esperanto.
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hank:

According to a preschool teacher that I know (not a linguist), there seems to be a brief period of time when children of bilingual households don't understand either language. They fail to respond to either English or their native language, both at school, and at home according to parents of her bilingual students. However, this is a brief period and is usually followed by the child being extremely fluent in both languages all of a sudden. To her it seems almost as if there is a short time when the brain is adjusting to the languages, and once it's done the child's vocabulary is often much more complex than it was before.

Keep in mind that this is not any kind of a formal study, and again, not a linguist. But just observation by a teacher of young children, many of whom are from bilingual households.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ambyr, thanks for the clarification.

But yeah, I'm not so hepped on kid as lab rat, regardless.

Yup, this is my real problem here. Experimenting on you kid isn't ethical even if it turns out all right in the end.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
there seems to be a brief period of time when children of bilingual households don't understand either language.
Uh...it doesn't have to be a bilingual household in order to have this effect. This period lasts from about age 3 to age 12 (for girls) and age 14 for boys.

Language understanding kicks in about the same time as romantic interest does. Unfortunately, the child's new capability to understand does not lead to an increased desire to do what a parent/authority figure requests. No; instead of a blank, vacant stare, you get a sneer.

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Laugh]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Experimenting on you kid isn't ethical even if it turns out all right in the end.
Experimenting on your kid is not avoidable.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Experimenting on you kid isn't ethical even if it turns out all right in the end.
Experimenting on your kid is not avoidable.
I think we mean something different by "experimenting".
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Depending on how it is done, I don't see it as any different from experimenting on other parents' kids with the parents' consent.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
There are very specific rules for experimenting with human subjects.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and we do plenty of experiments with children's language acquisition within those specific rules. That this guy is using his own kid as a subject doesn't make it inherently unethical.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Depending on how it is done, I don't see it as any different from experimenting on other parents' kids with the parents' consent.
The big difference is that experimenting on your own child creates a conflict of interest that could potential compromise both the child and the experiment.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Laws regarding human testing?

Hooo, boy! That's a good one.

Back in your cage, you...

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Yes, and we do plenty of experiments with children's language acquisition within those specific rules. That this guy is using his own kid as a subject doesn't make it inherently unethical.

Interesting. I am surrounded by world class experts on how children acquire language. I am now curious enough to ask how the Klingon thing fits into their idea of ethical experimentation.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend whose daughter just turned 7, he has never spoken to her in English. If she tries to ask him something in English, he just looks at her funny until she repeats it in Spanish. His reasons are that he wants her to grow up completely bilingual - so completely comfortable with both that she can instantly express her thoughts in either language without having to translate in her head. He's a second generation immigrant, and he said whenever he talks to his family, he always has to translate from English (the language he thinks in) to Spanish, and it slows him down and makes him awkward.

I'm not sure what the justification for teaching your son Klingon is though... maybe he'll meet a hot Klingon woman at a Star Trek convention some day? I don't see how it hurt his son at all.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I am surrounded by world class experts on how children acquire language. I am now curious enough to ask how the Klingon thing fits into their idea of ethical experimentation.
Please post the answer. [Smile]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just reading an article in Time about a school somewhere in the midwest, I want to say Minnesota, where the kids get their entire education in Mandarin. The students tended to have some language/learning issues after a few years, but they all sorted themselves out before they hit high school, leaving no lasting problems, but pretty complete bi-lingual command.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
I am surrounded by world class experts on how children acquire language. I am now curious enough to ask how the Klingon thing fits into their idea of ethical experimentation.
Please post the answer. [Smile]
I will once I get it. I am surrounded by them, but they are busy folks.
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
FYI: We adopted our son from Russia just before his 4th birthday.

He could speak elementary Russian.

Within months of moving to the US and being immersed in English (well, American English anyway) he lost all his Russian. One teacher and one family friend tried to coax it back but he refused.

Today his only problem with English is his retainer. The only Russian he knows are the few words we memorized--mostly NYET.

(It is interesting. If there is one word that you truly must use to raise a healthy child, it isn't love or hug or good. Its, "NO!". As in "No-step away from the stove." and "No, do not play with the cat that way." and "No, reboot mama's computer again while she's winning a Canasta tournament and you may not reach your next birthday.")

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

In the meantime:

http://ohsr.od.nih.gov/guidelines/index.html

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:

(It is interesting. If there is one word that you truly must use to raise a healthy child, it isn't love or hug or good. Its, "NO!". As in "No-step away from the stove." and "No, do not play with the cat that way." and "No, reboot mama's computer again while she's winning a Canasta tournament and you may not reach your next birthday.")

My dad would always tell me the reason God made children so cute is so their parents wouldn't be tempted to eat them. I got the point pretty quick.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.