FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I figured out who Tom is

Author Topic: I figured out who Tom is
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured out who Tom Bombadril is.

I know, I know. There are a lot of short, rude, answers that can be given. But I know.

In the Fellowship of the Rings he claims to have been around even before the Vala.

In the Silmarilion he isn't even mentioned. When you think of Ea and the Vala creating the Universe, they'd mention some guy singing and dancing.

In later writings, Tolkien says he represents one of the Great Mysteries that must remain unsolved in the world. BULL.

I thought about it. What are Tom's main traits:

Outgoing.
Loves Life/Anti-Violent except when he's violent.
Powerful Voice.
Dresses Strangely.
Does not get involved with the world except to save individuals now and then.
Has a companion.

Further, we know that Tolkien was English.

What other English character do we know who has those traits:

Outgoing.
Loves Life/Anti-Violent except when he's violent.
Powerful Voice.
Dresses Strangely.
Does not get involved with the world except to save individuals now and then.
Has a companion.

And he existed at the beginning of time.
And he existed at a climatic point in time where his intervention (or interference) saved the day, and the world.

Of, and if you read between the lines, his house seems to be bigger on the inside than on the outside.

That's right.......
Tom Bombadil is none other than
The last reincarnation of Dr. Who.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Or Santa Claus.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Santa Claus is Melkor. North Pole Fortress. Plays with Elves. Come on--get with the program.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
That was great. Good laugh. I just read it out loud to my wife and she didn't see the end coming. [Smile]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually wracked my brain trying to come up with mythological figures that would fit. Thanks a lot, Dan! [Smile]
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
It does make a certain amount of sense.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
No, Santa Claus is Melkor. North Pole Fortress. Plays with Elves. Come on--get with the program.

::snort::
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Ive always imagined Dr. Who transforming into a bear and stalking midgets, and now I know why.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
You're thinking Beorn, AH.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you were going to reveal the true identity of Tom Davidson.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I am Tom Davidson.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
I thought you were going to reveal the true identity of Tom Davidson.

This hatracker felt the same way. Frankly I think this would be more interesting anyway.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Bombadil is Tom Davidson.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
And what about Tom Baker?? You think this is all merely a coincidence???
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Tom Bombadil is Tom Davidson.

David is the father of Tom also known as Bombadil?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! That is too funny! Going to have to share that with some other LotR and Who fans. [Big Grin]
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hedwig
Member # 2315

- posted      Profile for Hedwig           Edit/Delete Post 
How many LotR and Who fans have even heard of Tom Davidson?
Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Hedwig:
How many LotR and Who fans have even heard of Tom Davidson?

I'd estimate its well into the thousands.
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Great thread! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

What I appreciate from you all is that there are few places like Hatrack where my odd sense of humor would be appreciated.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.