FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sarah Palin: Definitions of Conservative vs. Liberal -- from her book, "Going Rogue" (Page 10)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Sarah Palin: Definitions of Conservative vs. Liberal -- from her book, "Going Rogue"
malanthrop
Member # 11992

- posted      Profile for malanthrop           Edit/Delete Post 
I consider the draft equal to the declaration of martial law. I think a draft is inherently unconstitutional, like marital law. In times of great emergency, extreme measures.

I completely agree that anyone who was drafted deserves extreme compensation. Stop-loss compensation has been elevated. A draftee who is disabled deserves extreme compensation...although I can't understand why one would want to work for a government that forced them to serve. The draftee's should've been compensated directly at the time, or after the fact. I doubt their is anyone under the age of 55 who was drafted.

I know the college exemption to the draft is considered discriminatory in many ways but the military (although involuntarily) might have been a better career than the alternative. We should draft the dropouts first...we need the smart to develop weapons.

Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

I agree. We should worry less about labels than reality. Republican/Democrat is meaningless when JFK would be considered a right wing extremist today. Position over party...stand by your principles. To be completely honest, I'm sick of the middle. At least Nancy Pelosi is consistent. The "independents" and "moderates" are for sale to the highest bidder.

Parties change but all parties have shifted to the left. I still insist that the Republican party has been the party of freedom. The republican party was formed as an opposition to slavery. The civil rights act met an opposition of 80% democrat. Republicans have always fought for freedom and individual responsibility. Dems opposed freedom then offered handouts. Individual freedom cannot exist without individual responsibility. Once you accept the handout you become a willing slave.

Posts: 1495 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I consider the draft equal to the declaration of martial law. I think a draft is inherently unconstitutional, like marital law.
Here we go again with your bizarre inability to actually understand constitutional law. The constitution expressly provides authorization for the Congress to raise and support armies using conscription.

The only restriction the constitution puts on conscription is that any and all federally allocated funds for conscripted armies can last no longer than two years. That's it. If you think a draft is "inherently unconstitutional," it's not a matter of opinion, you're just flat out wrong.

Imagine my surprise when you don't change your opinion.

quote:
Republican/Democrat is meaningless when JFK would be considered a right wing extremist today.
It's a good thing he wouldn't be considered a right wing extremist today.

quote:
The republican party was formed as an opposition to slavery.
No, not quite. It was more in protest against the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854. The primary opposition was not towards slavery but to popular sovereignty.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll accept that you feel that no one should have preference points, whether they be combat veterans, disabled veterans, or dependents of killed veterans. I don't think you've shown evidence that gender or ethnicity plays a part in the federal jobs you've applied to.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

When I was active duty and preparing to leave military service, so too was one of the guys working for me on my team. I helped him prepare his resume. I had a degree and he didn't...I was higher ranking with more years of service. I was not only a military worker in the field, I was a military instructor in that field. He had 6 year experience and I had 12. We applied for the same job with the city. I didn't even get a call for an interview, they left the position unfilled for 3 months so that he could take it. In the end, I got a higher paying job than that one and he's asking me for a job. He was fully qualified for the position but not the best candidate. They are hungry for marginally qualified minorities. Evin Alvin (they guy I speak of) one of my best friends, calls and laughs about the hiring practices. Other than my superior education and experience, the only difference between us was race. I didn't even get an interview, they bent over backwards to hire him. He was qualified and also a minority.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Was he also obnoxious?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

No...he's one of the smartest guys I've ever met. He grew up in Colorado and was the extemest of extreme minorities. The only black in the class. He learned the same lessons of life and had the same opportunities as his classmates. Now he's one of the "sell out" blacks...he's a conservative. Between us it's a joke. He called me a couple days ago to ask how my trip to visit my mother with cancer went. I replied, it was strange being in a town without black people. He understood my comment, he was raised in a town without black people, other than him.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure, malanthrop, that you are easily ignorant of the multitude of traits you have that would make people want to avoid hiring you if they were at all aware of them.

Hint: it has nothing to do with the color of your skin.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
malanthrop
Member # 11992

I'm sure those traits were obvious in my resume. His resume was almost identical to mine...his last 3 years was verbatim to mine (except I was his supervisor). We separated in the prior 9 years and education.

It served him well. In the end experience will pay off. In the end, I do have a better job. I'm a supervisor and he's asking me for a job. If I have an opening, I'll hire him...not because he's black.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Was he also obnoxious?

:snort:

He didn't get it...

:hugs:

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by malanthrop:
I'm sure those traits were obvious in my resume. His resume was almost identical to mine...

Did they interview you, contact any of your references, or have any contact with him, or check any of his references? (ETA, ah yes, they didn't interview you, hmm). Are you aware of all factors that went into the decision? As you say, your resumes were in fact different. Perhaps you were seen as overqualified and a liability, or perhaps he wrote a more convincing resume than you did. Or perhaps he lied, or perhaps he was an excellent interview. Or perhaps the interviewer had a good day and liked him.

How, after all, did they know he was black? Did the resumes include pictures? I can think of plenty of situations in which I would rather hire a less experienced individual over someone in the same field with similar, but more experience and status. First of all, you would have wanted more money, and you would have wanted more mobility- at least, they would have seen you as a greater liability in that sense. And I'm sure there were other factors. You were applying for a job which did not require a degree- it is difficult for an over-educated individual to get many of those jobs. Depends on the job, and the education.

quote:
No...he's one of the smartest guys I've ever met.
Bingo. He's smarter than you- that is unless you're contending that the pool of the smartest people you've ever met are not as or equally as smart as you. If so, get out more- I haven't ever met anyone who could honestly believe that.

[ December 24, 2009, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.