FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A good way to sell books online?

Author Topic: A good way to sell books online?
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all. My mom wrote and "self" published a book. A darn good book I might say. She started her own company and can print it through Aardvark.

She has family back east who wants to buy it and so she wants to set up a web page where people can order it.

Two questions she has are:

1) Where can she go look to see esthetically pleasing web sites so she can design a good site? Ideas on how to make a good website to sell a book.

2) How hard is it to set up a pay pal account to handle the transactions so she can ship it? Or is there a better service or program she should use.

Thanks.

[ December 09, 2009, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: lem ]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally thought you wanted to sell people ideas for books, that they would then presumably write. I have to say I'm a little disappointed. [Smile]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the same as Lissande!

For (1), I would suggest getting a using the free wordpress software as a content management system, and then finding a theme that is designed for business. Here are some that you have to pay for as examples, but you can find some good ones for free. You can also probably find examples of actual book websites if you just start googling the names of recently published books.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess my old title was too confusing: Website to sell book ideas? An aesthetic question.

[Smile]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're looking for aesthetic inspiration, you might try siteinspire.

If she's selling one product, I recommend pretty strongly against bothering with a CMS, unless she's specifically looking to add dynamic content (blog, additional items to sell, newsletter, etc. etc.). If that's the case, Squarespace has one of the best wysiwyg site editing tools I've ever seen, and they make it pretty easy for a newbie to slap together a relatively good looking site, especially compared to crap like GoDaddy's WebSite Tonight (shudder).

PayPal is one of the best services of its type for low volume internet sales, especially if you're trying to avoid paying hefty startup and/or monthly fees. It's very easy to set up and provides surprisingly good order management. It quickly loses out to other payment processors, however, once your transaction volume increases past about $1k/mo.

In terms of how simple it is: at its most basic form, PayPal has a merchant tool where you fill out a form ("what's the item called?" "what's the item's price?" etc.) and it spits out code for you to paste into your site to create a buy now or add to cart button, which PayPal manages for you. It handles e-mail notifications for both buyer and seller.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your mom's time would be better spent seeing if she could get Amazon to carry the book, and using her site to advertise it only.

My dad's friend wrote a memoir, and although it was professionally published, though mostly locally distributed, he was able to sell it through Amazon. If it exists on Amazon, then it seems more professional.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.